The Student Room Group

Nervous about starting College!

Hi everybody,
I'm really nervous about starting my A levels on Monday. I am taking Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths and am going to a college where I don't know anybody as it is quite far away from home. Most of my friends are staying on at the local sixth form but I opted to go to college instead. I am now really nervous and just wondered if anybody was in the same boat?

Scroll to see replies

LOL just relax, remember you'll a have great time once you get to know everyone.
You're doing maths, you'll be fine.
its fine! just try talking to people and you will make friends in no time!
Don't be nervous! :smile: Just relax and enjoy it!
Going to a new college where nobody knows you is a pretty good thing, because you'll meet new people, learn to come out of your shell more, and is good practice for the future.
Reply 5
I am in this situation as well! Starting Monday and doing similar subjects.

I'm a bit worried about the lunch hour and how to "ask" people to go to lunch with them. :s-smilie::
Reply 6
I think we spend the morning in our tutor groups so hopefully this will break the ice and help me to meet people! At first I was really excited but now I am just worried, I feel like such a worrier. Hope your first day at college goes well Saliency! :-)
I'm also in this situation. Starting at a brand new Sixth Form (taking Eng Lit, Physics, Psychology and Economics) on Monday, and I don't really know anyone, apart from one person who went to my Primary School that I didn't know too well anyway. :s:

On top of that the buildings feel like a maze to me, I can see I'm going to get lost at first. :laugh:

I think it's important to keep an open mind and be optimistic. (He says as he bites his nails and lays awake at night worrying.) :p:
I was nervous last year, after about an hour, all that had gone. You'll settle in fine, don't worry at all!
Reply 9
Relax and read my blog about my year 12 experience link below
moomalade_815
I am now really nervous and just wondered if anybody was in the same boat?

Ive just spent the last three days atan alien boarding school, by myself. I stressed myself out over it, and guess what? It went great! Dw about it.
Honestly don't worry! In your tutor they have things for you to meet people, and things like lunch, you automatically fall into a group and you usually go together. By the end of the day, you'll wonder why you was nervous!

Good luck everyone for your first day! :nod:
Reply 12
be nice to everyone and you're cool.

i was in exactly the same position last year, couldn't believe how easy it was to settle in! you'll be just fine :smile:
Reply 13
i am in the same position there is one person i know from primary school but havent really spoke to much. Im sure there is loads of other people in your position.
Reply 14
moomalade_815
Hi everybody,
I'm really nervous about starting my A levels on Monday. I am taking Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths and am going to a college where I don't know anybody as it is quite far away from home. Most of my friends are staying on at the local sixth form but I opted to go to college instead. I am now really nervous and just wondered if anybody was in the same boat?

I'm in a similar boat, I'm doing Law, Government and Politics, Archaeology and English though. I'm nervous I'll get judged. And I don't know what to wear. Urgh.

It'll be fine though, like apparently on the first day, it's all icebreakers and just meeting your classmates, and getting to know people. Good Luck! :smile:
If it's a college rather than a sixth form, everyone will be in the same boat :smile: So just go get your timetable, go to your first lesson, & sit next to someone who looks cool :smile:
Why are you nervous?

I'm starting at a new one and I know my superior social skills will help me get by. Have some confidence and if the worst comes to the worst; headbutt someone.
Reply 17
I'm going back to college to do my A-levels in a couple weeks too. I just hope there will be older people there, but i'm not counting on it.

I'm only doing one subject also, so gotta get used to being the "outsider" I guess :s-smilie:
Reply 18
moomalade_815
Hi everybody,

Just out of curiousity, how long would it take for you to get to the college?
Don't be nervous, it's usually worse when you start uni. Obviously I went to college with friends and met up with them on breaks, but none of them were in my tutor group/classes and I'm one of the most nervous/shy people that I know and was fine. Use the icebreakers as an opportunity to make friends.

Latest