The Student Room Group
Cambridge is the only university that requires your UMS scores - you put these on an extra application form called an SAQ (Cambridge will email you to tell you what to do after you have applied through UCAS). There is a space on the UCAS application to put in your UMS scores where you put in your AS grades but you don't have to put them in.
Reply 2
mauvemartian
Cambridge is the only university that requires your UMS scores - you put these on an extra application form called an SAQ (Cambridge will email you to tell you what to do after you have applied through UCAS). There is a space on the UCAS application to put in your UMS scores where you put in your AS grades but you don't have to put them in.

In the UCAS form do you enter it where they ask for "Other"??
jaheen22
In the UCAS form do you enter it where they ask for "Other"??

You put it in qualifications (in the education section) where you put which AS/A level subjects you have done.
Ignore Mauvemartian, whose application is on another planet; you never include UMS scores on the UCAS application, anywhere, just grades. Any institution wanting to know them will ask separately. If you are really proud of them get your referee to mention them in the reference.
Reply 5
Good bloke
Ignore Mauvemartian, whose application is on another planet; you never include UMS scores on the UCAS application, anywhere, just grades. Any institution wanting to know them will ask separately. If you are really proud of them get your referee to mention them in the reference.

Well what about resits, some universities dont like resits(Imperial). How will they know that you resit a module?
Nowhere.

ezio12
Well what about resits, some universities dont like resits(Imperial). How will they know that you resit a module?

The exam board will tell them.
Reply 7
jaheen22
I've been told that universities such as Oxbridge ask for your UMS in your AS's. Were do you put them? In your personal statement or where you enter your modules on the UCAS form??

Cheers :smile:

You don't put your UMS grades on your UCAS application. There will be space for you to enter individual module grades, which you can do, but if you want all your universities to know your individual UMS, then you'll have to ask your referee to put it in your reference. You should only do this if they're very strong individual scores.
Only Cambridge will ask you for your individual scores, so if you're applying to Oxford, this won't be an issue. After you've submitted your UCAS application, Cambridge will e-mail you information on and a link to the SAQ. This is where you will be asked extra questions by Cambridge, and where you will be required to enter your UMS score. There is a little tick box next to each module to ask whether you will be re-sitting it or not.
Reply 8
becbec :)
You don't put your UMS grades on your UCAS application. There will be space for you to enter individual module grades, which you can do, but if you want all your universities to know your individual UMS, then you'll have to ask your referee to put it in your reference. You should only do this if they're very strong individual scores.
Only Cambridge will ask you for your individual scores, so if you're applying to Oxford, this won't be an issue. After you've submitted your UCAS application, Cambridge will e-mail you information on and a link to the SAQ. This is where you will be asked extra questions by Cambridge, and where you will be required to enter your UMS score. There is a little tick box next to each module to ask whether you will be re-sitting it or not.

Reply 9
Good bloke

when I applied there was certainly space to put them next to AS grades, and if you've nothing to hide then why not?
Sambo2
when I applied there was certainly space to put them next to AS grades, and if you've nothing to hide then why not?

Space? Yes. To be used for UMS? No. Why not? Because it irritates some admissions tutors. Do you want to risk iritating admissions tutors? Not if you have any sense.
ezio12

Fear not! If they think this important they will have a reliable way of finding out, so don't try to mislead them.
Good bloke
Space? Yes. To be used for UMS? No. Why not? Because it irritates some admissions tutors. Do you want to risk iritating admissions tutors? Not if you have any sense.

Why does it irritate them?

I imagine it being extremely pretentious to put your UMS marks on an application, especially considering high UMS marks does not necessarily mean you did exceptionally on the exam ... but why irritating?
Sambo2

That's not what the space is for
TheSownRose
Why does it irritate them?

I can't imagine anything like all of them get irritated, but I know at least some would. People get irritated for all sorts of reasons, but some reasons I can think of are: the candidate's inability to follow simple instructions, the candidate's arrogance in determining how they will ignore the system, being burdened with superfluous information and, as you mention, being confronted by a pretentious candidate.
Reply 15
Good bloke

does it? didn't do my application any harm.. There's nothing pretentious/arrogant about providing additional information that supports the position that you are presenting to said tutor, that you have a strong academic background.
Sambo2
does it? didn't do my application any harm.. There's nothing pretentious/arrogant about providing additional information that supports the position that you are presenting to said tutor, that you have a strong academic background.

Aha! The old I escaped by the skin of my teeth so it will be OK for anyone else to stick their head in the fire argument. :rolleyes:

Subverting a system for your own ends always looks arrogant.

Latest

Trending

Trending