The Student Room Group

Which subjects should I take to A-Level out of Maths, Economics, Chemistry & Biology?

Poll

Which subjects should I take for a Geography degree?

Sorry to make another A Level options thread :x I considered using the existing sticky but I'd like as many opinions as I can get!

I'm hoping to study Geography at university. I've already decided to take English Lit and - obviously - Geography to A-Level. Now I'm trying to choose between Economics (which I've never done before), Maths, Biology and Chemistry.

I do not enjoy Maths, but I'm repeatedly told that it's a very good A-Level to have and I think I could achieve an A (or A*?) if I worked hard. I've already got an A* at GCSE. That said, it's not one of my best subjects.

I'm not sure about Chemistry. I've only done about a month of lessons as I switched to it (having dropped DT) in May. I've been trying to catch up on the work and I'm still uncertain on how much I enjoy it.

I've never done Economics before but I think I might be fairly interested it in, at least to AS Level. I don't really know what it entails, though.

Biology, I believe, is quite enjoyable.

Which subjects are best for a Geography degree, and which ones do you think are ideal for me? :confused:

tl;dr: Which 2 subjects should I take to AS (and, perhaps, which one to A2) out of Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics, for a Geography degree?

Biology and Chemistry would probably be best as it's more relevant, but do you also find Chemistry interesting? I'd definately take Biology, particularly because you say you enjoy it. Do you know what exam board each other those subjects are under? I'd check the speicifcations of each and then make an informed decision of what you would find more interesting. If you definately want to go through a sciency route and it is possible you would change from Geography into something else, for most science courses you will need both Chem and Bio.
Reply 2
Biology and either Chemistry/Economics. I'd recommend you do more research into the two to see which you'd enjoy most. Maybe look at papers for the board you'd be doing to see which subject has the exam style that you think would be best suited to you.

Latest