The Student Room Group

How can I tell if I'm good enough for Maths?

Hi Guys,
After discussion in another thread with some great members, I've become very interested in taking A-Level Mathematics. However I don't particularly wish to take it unless I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get an A or above at the end of A2, as I'll be applying for Oxbridge and another top uni, so I really dont want it to be a skidmark amongst my other grades. Is there any way of telling whether I'm cut out for it? I've just gone into Year 11; I got an A in my last Maths exam about midway through Year 10, which should naturally improve and become an A* at GCSE, and at the end of Year 10 I did my Statistics GCSE and achieved an A*. Is this any indication of whether or not I'll be able to do well?

Thanks guys, and sorry for creating a new thread for what seems like a slightly trivial question.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you get an A* at GCSE you're good enough to get an A/A* at A2....
Reply 2
Cannot tell from your GCSE grades because GCSEs are so much easier than A Level maths that getting an A* at GCSE doesn't mean anything at A Level(eg. KS1 SATs can't be used to predict your GCSEs). Did you do the FSMQ Additional maths: effort + A in FSMQ = A in A Level. Are you prepared to work very hard?
liaf
If you get an A* at GCSE you're good enough to get an A/A* at A2....

are you being sarcastic?

If you've just gone into year 11 you won't be needing to pick your a level choices for a while, so just wait and see. Do you enjoy it? Do you find it easy (seeing as you took the exam early I guess so)? If you still can't decide get hold of the syllabus and look through/try some questions. Anyway don't worry about, it should soon become clearer, and anyway if you start your AS levels and find maths is too hard you can always swap for a different subject early on.
If you enjoy maths and want to work at it, you'll get an A*.

I had got Bs throughout GCSE mocks, A* in the real thing. 89% avg for my AS level ;D
Reply 5
Maths at A2 is so different to GCSE. Right the way up until sixth form Maths was my best and favourite subject but then I personally found it required a lot more hard work and understanding than it had ever done before. So I don't really think GCSEs are an indication of how well you'll do in your A-level but as longas you have an enjoying of maths and are prepared to work very hard then I would recommend you take it as it looks very good on university applications. :smile:
Just go for it if you're interested by Maths.
I know people with B at GCSE who've got an A at A-Level/AS-Level. It's more about how much work you put in over that specific year.
Just focus on the GCSE curriculum now, If you've got an A/A* then you'll have learnt the core skills well enough so that they don't hold you back when you build on them at A-Level and you'll have given yourself a very good shot at getting an A/A*.

Maths is the easiest subject to score in statistically, as about 40% get A grades every year IIRC.
Well there is a conflict because the results you show say that you are, but making such a stupid thread suggests you're not. I mean, how the hell are we meant to know how good you will be at Alevel maths? If you work hard you'll do well.
If you like maths it is an easy A.
Reply 9
ForGreatJustice
Well there is a conflict because the results you show say that you are, but making such a stupid thread suggests you're not. I mean, how the hell are we meant to know how good you will be at Alevel maths? If you work hard you'll do well.

I posted the thread with the hope of not just direct answers to my question but for other information regarding doing well at Maths A-Level. Obviously there is no advanced algorithm for calculating my A Level grade based on my GCSE, but I just wanted to hear about how people who are at the top end of the GCSE scale would take to Advanced Level Maths.

francescafrancesca
If you've just gone into year 11 you won't be needing to pick your a level choices for a while

The best college in the area starts taking applications from late October up until late January, so it's coming up pretty soon actually.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm a very hard worker and quite enjoy Maths. I'll also take a look at the syllabus.
I got an A at GCSE. It came with no star :frown:

im set for an A* at A level though; managed to average out at +90 for my AS despite freezing completely and fudging my C2 paper.

all depends on how hard you work.
A level maths is easy, you'll be fine
Reply 12
TimmonaPortella
I got an A at GCSE. It came with no star :frown:

im set for an A* at A level though; managed to average out at +90 for my AS despite freezing completely and fudging my C2 paper.

all depends on how hard you work.

congrats on your predicted A*, and thanks for the advice :smile:
I'm actually glad it's more down to how hard you work; it really grinds my gears when people imply that you can only do well in Maths if you were born with a gift of mathematical ability

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
A level maths is easy, you'll be fine

LOL, ok then thanks :smile:
okay guys this is the stoopidest thing ever buut how do you start a thread? sorry to add a question s'laters x
Reply 14
It's all about work but having a natural flair towards maths helps :smile:.

I don't know what maths you're doing but we had to do linear maths so it was just two exams. Calc + Non-Calc.

I've already started As maths and TBH it's easier than GCSE maths (IMO). You learn everything in sections so there isn't masses to learn all at once. You just group all the info you need :smile:.
I found A-level maths to be all easier than GCSE... I mean I only got an A at GCSE and got an A* at A-level.

It's all pretty simple as long as you just hit the past papers again and again.
Reply 16
MaliBethRose
okay guys this is the stoopidest thing ever buut how do you start a thread? sorry to add a question s'laters x

Its ok aha. you go onto the forum which you want it to be posted in, then there is a 'Create New Thread' button underneath the 'Sub Forums'. Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks again guys, I've just taken a look at the AS syllabus, and it looks alright to be honest with you; I like the subtle progressions from some things from GCSE maths. So its looking good... :smile:
Reply 17
My A-level maths class (there were 15 of us) all got A*s at GCSE and at A level 4 of us got A*s, 6 As, a couple of Bs, 2 Cs and an E

Don't know if that helps but basically GCSE doesn't really indicate ability at A2 :p:
tamtamsham
My A-level maths class (there were 15 of us) all got A*s at GCSE and at A level 4 of us got A*s, 6 As, a couple of Bs, 2 Cs and an E

Don't know if that helps but basically GCSE doesn't really indicate ability at A2 :p:

Hey,

Is this an indirect way of telling us that you are topdog in maths and

you got an A* at A level ?:wink:
Reply 19
never say
Hey,

Is this an indirect way of telling us that you are topdog in maths and

you got an A* at A level ?:wink:

Haha no, I did get an A* at maths but purely cos I fluked one module that I got 100 ums in, the rest were low As/high Bs which somehow added up to an A* :p:

Latest