The Student Room Group
Reply 1
2,900,000 x 0.34 = 986000 micrometers.

Therefore, if 1 millimeter is 1000 micrometers, then 986000/1000 = 986 millimeters.

I think that's right.
JellyBellyBaby
1 kilobase of DNA is a length of a DNA molecule with 1000 base pairs.
The length of 1 kilobase is 0.34 micrometres.
The DNA in a human cell contains a total of 2,900,000 kilobases.
Calculate the total length of DNA in a human cell. Give your answer in millimetres (mm). Show your working.

Thanks in advance :smile:

To take the simplistic approach:

2900000 x 0.34 / 1000 = 986 mm

Although to be fair it's a rubbish question, as DNA can exist in many forms which vary in their degree of condensation so you can get a wide range of figures on the actual length of DNA in a cell.
Reply 3
My (mental) calculations were as follows:

(10 x 0.34) x 3 = 10.2 - 0.34 = 9.86. 9.86 x 100,000 - 986,000 / 1000 = 986mm.

Sub-GCSE Maths, to be frank: you should be ashamed of yourself.
Reply 4
Profesh

You needn't be so rude and arrogant Profesh, since clearly not everyone is as intelligent as yourself. :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Profesh

I think the prefix you're after is indeed "pre". :rolleyes: You, the self acclaimed linguaphile, should be ashamed of yourself.
Reply 6
Pixelated
I think the prefix you're after is indeed "pre". :rolleyes: You, the self acclaimed linguaphile, should be ashamed of yourself.

Pardon?

the Oxford English Dictionary
sub- (or sub) pref. denoting: 1. Lower position (subordinate, subscribe); to lower position (submerge, subside); from lower position (subtract). 2. Covertness, secrecy, (suborn). 3. Inclusion (subsume). 4. Closeness (subsequent, suburb). 5. Inferiority (subserve).

For those (such as yourself) who lack the provision of a lexicon with which to justify their nit-picking.

Now, cease attempting to discredit me in this impertinent manner: it achieves nothing except to make you appear insolent. If you are consistently at a loss for ways to productively occupy your time, might I suggest re-taking a GCSE, as your attainment is clearly sub-par for the level of pedantry you demonstrate*.

Oh, and it's 'self-acclaimed' [note hyphen]; although, assuming your erroneous logic, I should sooner declare the whole notion invalid and request that you substitute 'self-proclaimed' in its place.

*On second thoughts: no, it isn't.
Reply 7
Dimez
You needn't be so rude and arrogant Profesh, since clearly not everyone is as intelligent as yourself. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry if my conduct should appear unduly opprobrious, but I can assure you that the 'madam' in question P.M.'d me this exact query; subsequently, perusing her post history, I discovered no less than five threads whose principal concern seemed that of getting others to do her homework for her. Admittedly, this remains entirely her prerogative, but I sincerely hope for the sake of her prospective attainment that she doesn't deem it a viable work ethic: rote-learning at A-Level is a means to an end, not an end in itself (with the possible exception of Politics AS); true expertise resides in sifting and adapting one's knowledge to the specifications of the question. If she is incapable of such simple arithmetic then she would do well to consult a teacher, as concealing this defect will ultimately benefit no-one; if she is simply lazy, on the other hand, then spoon-feeding solutions will serve only to encourage her misconduct. Either way, I am not one for endorsing fraudulent behaviour, and thought to reprove her accordingly.
Reply 8
Profesh
I'm sorry if my conduct should appear unduly opprobrious, but I can assure you that the 'madam' in question P.M.'d me this exact query; subsequently, perusing her post history, I discovered no less than five threads whose principal concern seemed that of getting others to do her homework for her. Admittedly, this remains entirely her prerogative, but I sincerely hope for the sake of her prospective attainment that she doesn't deem it a viable work ethic: rote-learning at A-Level is a means to an end, not an end in itself (with the possible exception of Politics AS); true expertise resides in sifting and adapting one's knowledge to the specifications of the question. If she is incapable of such simple arithmetic then she would do well to consult a teacher, as concealing this defect will ultimately benefit no-one; if she is simply lazy, on the other hand, then spoon-feeding solutions will serve only to encourage her misconduct. Either way, I am not one for endorsing fraudulent behaviour, and thought to reprove her accordingly.

Why do you feel the need to speak rather ostentatiously?
Reply 9
Dimez
Why do you feel the need to speak rather ostentatiously?

Why do you feel the 'need' not to? My conduct regarding TSR has very little to do with 'need', at the best of times: I enjoy ostentatious verbiage and syntax, for aesthetic reasons; for the sake of themselves. I hope that you shall bear with me. :wink:
Reply 10
Profesh
Why do you feel the 'need' not to? My conduct regarding TSR has very little to do with 'need', at the best of times: I enjoy ostentatious verbiage and syntax, for aesthetic reasons; for the sake of themselves. I hope that you shall bear with me. :wink:

You may perceive this as peculiar, somewhat, but I, at times, look forward to reading your pretentious posts. :biggrin:
Perhaps the entire TSR community do not fully comprehend your "ostentatious verbiage and syntax", yet if you still have the earnest penchant to type in the manner in which you do, go for it. :p:

( As you can see, my, rather futile, endeavour in writing like has come to no avail and most probably suits you more than me :wink: )
Pixelated

Teaches you a lesson not to be smart.

Latest

Trending

Trending