The Student Room Group

Return of Class and Privilege?

The world has always been this way but at least during the post WWII boom, there was a huge middle class in the developed world that counter balanced extreme wealth.

Today though and in the past 15 years, there has been a return of extreme wealth, privilege and a media preoccupation with aristocracy, royal families, celebrities and socialites.

The world is almost back to the early twentieth century in terms of wealth disparity and an emphasis on luxury goods and services seems to be the goal for many people trying to climb the ladder. There is no humility in living a decent lifestyle.

The media almost paints it as crass and vulgar to be anti-establishment these days too.

Anyone else agree? Has there been a sudden return to wealth, class and privilege in society?
Reply 1
The middle class nowadays is far larger than post-wwII.

I agree that the divide between rich and poor has increased, but I think you'd have to source increasing media attention on royal families and aristocracy. I don't think you (personally) could judge it anyway and I'm dubious that there has been an increase.

People look for luxury goods when they climb now because we're so much better off than in the past. People in general are so much richer that they simply don't need to strive for basic goods in the same way.
Reply 2
Yes, TimeDivided09. You can see it reflected in the fashions actually- teenage girls are dressing not unlike 1920s flappers at the moment, with flowers in their hair. The rah has actually become in fashion with all social levels, the 'credit crunch' not affecting the young.

In a way that should be applauded as a Thatcherite true egalitarianism.

Basically, if you are young, pretty, slim, confident, preferably rich, there has possibly never been a better time since the 1920s!

The 1990s was sometimes categorised as a return the the 1960s spirit, especially in music and fashion, but that allowed an egalitarian spirit to flourish. Being too ostentatious in your ways was a bit frowned upon.

Latest

Trending

Trending