The Student Room Group

evolutionay approach to this...help!

what would the evolutionary approach be to this paragraph - please help...

"Geoff is a successful businessman and a loving husband and well respected in his profession, however he has a number of arrests for violent affray and is a member of a famous football teams 'inner city crew' of football hooligans. Geoff loves the rush and exhilaration he gets when he and his friends are together and ready to fight. He says belonging to the crew is like being in a tribe and the rush is well worth the trouble he gets in with the law. Outside of the 'inner city crew' and the police people have no idea of Geoff's violent hobby".
Reply 1
Ah thats a hard one...

The evolutionary approach to aggressive group display was originally to protect the group from other outsiders. In terms of football hooliganism, to threaten the opposing teams and appear stronger to minimise the risk of actual violence which may result in death. So they're ready to fight to defend their group but by doing so they are minimising their risk of death as they appear to be strong and not weak.

An alternative approach is that group display promotes cooperation within groups. So Geoff may be aggressive in a group as he knows this will allow his group to cooperate as they all have a common value - a hatred for the opposing team. in his evolutionary past this would have kept close knit groups and promoted stability during warfare.

I'm not sure that makes any sense... I think I'm just rambling now

Latest

Trending

Trending