The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Obviously I can't give you the answer. But think about what the main topics within the approach, like theories, and use studies to back it up..
For example, in the social approach, how SIT and agency theory explains behaviour.

It shouldn't matter too much if you include info from other approaches, as long as you back these up and link it back to the approach in question.

So i suggest looking at the main studies, theories and assumptions.
Reply 2
It's been a while since I did psychology, but surely you can mention things like physical damage to the hypothalmus in the brain affects appetite and can lead to eating disorders. Or neurochemical imbalances can affect things.. Sorry I can't give you much more but hopefully this is a start to going in the right direction!

It's the sort of things I would have answered when I did psych, and the Scottish Higher course uses the AS Psychology textbook, so hopefully this is relevant!
God its been months!
Ok, so 3 points to look at would be hormones (particually at the 6 week stage of pre natal development), brain lateralisation and genes. Look at cases such as animal studies for hormones, David reimer, Daphne West and androgenital syndrome for genes

This sounds like EdExcel to me :holmes:
lozzyhickers
Obviously I can't give you the answer. But think about what the main topics within the approach, like theories, and use studies to back it up..
For example, in the social approach, how SIT and agency theory explains behaviour.

It shouldn't matter too much if you include info from other approaches, as long as you back these up and link it back to the approach in question.

So i suggest looking at the main studies, theories and assumptions.

LOL the thing is right that i started college on friday and i dont have a clue about what the tutor told me to research about.
she just said to research on the above.
maybe you could post some helpful websites from which i could get some research done from? :confused:
LOL the thing is right that i started college on friday and i dont have a clue about what the tutor told me to research about.
she just said to research on the above.
maybe you could post some helpful websites from which i could get some research done from?

ah ok, yes, i'll happy to have a look for you.

God its been months!
Ok, so 3 points to look at would be hormones (particually at the 6 week stage of pre natal development), brain lateralisation and genes. Look at cases such as animal studies for hormones, David reimer, Daphne West and androgenital syndrome for genes

This sounds like EdExcel to me
It can't be Edexcel though, cos I do that and Biological is the last thing you do!
lozzyhickers
ah ok, yes, i'll happy to have a look for you.

This sounds like EdExcel to me
It can't be Edexcel though, cos I do that and Biological is the last thing you do!

yup! its WJEC BOARD, and its the first thing we do lol.
I can't find any decent sites atm, but I could give you some key words and phrases you can look up.

Role of the Central and periperal nervous system
Genes
Hormones
Gender Development
XXX syndrome
schitzophrenia
anorexia
Money (study) / David Reimer study
yup! its WJEC BOARD, and its the first thing we do lol.

That sucks, cos it's the hardest. But WJEC are a good exam board, they're actually fair in their marking and don't try to catch you out.
Reply 9
Biological is physical factors, so thinking along those lines go with hormones (hint: testosterone is a biggie), genetics, etc.
lozzyhickers
That sucks, cos it's the hardest. But WJEC are a good exam board, they're actually fair in their marking and don't try to catch you out.

yes! and i am soo confused at the moment....:frown:
dont have a clue about anything :dontknow:
:sigh:
yes! and i am soo confused at the moment....
dont have a clue about anything

At least try, read up on that Money study (as it'll give you alot of ideas), look up about hormoes and just have a go. Everyone's in the same boat as you, and are probably lost too. The fact you had a go looks better than not trying at all.

Good Luck :smile:
Id suggest going on a website called http://www.psychexchange.co.uk/ you need to sign up, it's free, but you'll find some useful rescources on there. There's quiz's, powerpoints, revision aids and more.
=(....
Reply 14
Miss Attitude
1) Biological Approach
find out how the biological appoach explains behavior- find 3 ways with examples where possible?

HELP! dont get this at all :frown:

Don't worry if you don't understand it to start with. I didn't understand it for the first few weeks but it ended up being my favourite subject at AS.

It's been a while, so I'll see what I can do..

Genes - There is a high concordance rate between biological relatives in the case of bipolar disorder. This means that individuals often inherit the condition if a relative has it.

Hormones - Cortisol. This is produced in times of stress and prepares the body to make a fight or flight response, with their pupils widening and heart beating faster etc.

- Structural Brain Abnormalities - Can lead to poor memory etc.
Kim-x
Don't worry if you don't understand it to start with. I didn't understand it for the first few weeks but it ended up being my favourite subject at AS.

It's been a while, so I'll see what I can do..

Genes - There is a high concordance rate between biological relatives in the case of bipolar disorder. This means that individuals often inherit the condition if a relative has it.

Hormones - Cortisol. This is produced in times of stress and prepares the body to make a fight or flight response, with their pupils widening and heart beating faster etc.

- Structural Brain Abnormalities - Can lead to poor memory etc.

ahh thankyou!

what about this..?

-neurones- chemical processes in the brain can be an important influence on behaviour. Too much or too little of any of these chemicals can result in over or under activity in various parts of the brain which results in changing of the behaviour.

.....? is it correct or :frown:
Reply 16
Miss Attitude
ahh thankyou!

what about this..?

-neurones- chemical processes in the brain can be an important influence on behaviour. Too much or too little of any of these chemicals can result in over or under activity in various parts of the brain which results in changing of the behaviour.

.....? is it correct or :frown:

Neurones are a transmission mechanism not a chemical process. You could put chemicals down for causing depression as the serotonin level is too low. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter.
Blimey, you are all back already?

I dont see my lot until this Wednesday (second years Tuesday) and then I wont launch in with this, but that is by the by.

If this is WJEC then what you need to know is two assumptions of the biological approach .

The biological approach argues that behaviour is a result of genetics, biochemistry and physical characteristics of the brain. In other words all your behaviour, thoughts and any activity is controlled by the biochemistry and physiology of the brain.

There are in fact three assumptions that can be made from this ( but you need to learn two) and make that link to what I have said above to get full marks. You also have to give an example of how each assumption in order to get it by the board.

I use a system for this
The assumtopn is......

This means that.......

An example of this is......

Assumption 1: Behaviour is a result of biochemical processes in the brain. This means that all behaviour is controlled by the release of different chemicals in the brain called neurotransmitters ( eg - adrenaline, noradrenaline, seretonin dopamine etc) which dictate behaviour. Some neurotransmitters are also hormones ( eg adrenaline)

Neurotransmitters are made at the ends of nerves in the brain and work as chemical messengers sending information across the gap ( the synapse) between two sets of nerves which are electrically charged. This aids the qucik movement of messages and processes around the brain.

Incorrect balances of such transmitters has been shown to affect behaviour. For example , the lack of seretonin is indicated in conditions such as depression. An over rpoduction of dopamine has been shown in experiments to be associated with some of the symptoms of schizophrenia.

Assumption 2. Behaviour is a result of ( or can be explained by if you prefer) axtivity in different parts of the brain.

This means that it has been shown that the brain is made up of different parts which have different funtions. For exam[le the cerebal cortex covers the surface of the brain.

This has been associated with thinking and reasoning processes and different kinds of problem solving activity.

The frontal lobes of the brain are another area of the brain which have a specific function. They are responsible for fine motor movements.

Underneath the cortex there is another area of the brain which deals with more primative functions. This area is called the subcorticak area. Within that is a small area called the hypothalmus.

The hypothalmus has been shown to be associated with emotions and stress related behaviour.

( I sometimes use the hemispheres as examples of this - right hemisphere is responsible for creative tasks and picture recognition and the left for language and logical reasoning processes)

Now, sometimes students find it easier to use the first assumption I gave you together with a third one which argues all behaviour is a result of hormones because it is very similar to the biochemistry one.

This would be something to the effect of
The biological approach assumes that behaviour can be explained in terms of hormones.

Hormones are produced in the body and are designed to be used by various organs of the body including the brain. They are produced in large quantities but dissipate ( disappear) very quickly.

Some hormones associated with the brain which appear to affect behaviour are adrenaline which is related to arousal , especially the fight or flight response and its production is associated with stress reactions.

Hope that helps. ( Sorry about the typos)
Now, if I may, I would like to back track a little for you - just for some perspective. Bear with me. If this isnt any hekp , ignore it but it is essentially what the first part of the WJEC spec is based on.

Psychology is the study of mind and behaviour in all its aspects.

There are various ways in which psychologists can view or try and interpret behaviour. These are called perspectives (or views of) or approaches to and sometimes each perspective is actually associated with a school of psychological thought. That is some psychologists concentrate their understanding of behaviour on one particular approach or perspective.

In WJEC there are four approaches studied (there are in fact five available in the real world as schools).

The four used by WJEC are the four mainstream ones. The four are - biological, behaviourist, cognitive and psycho dynamic. ( the fifth is called humanism - it was big in the 1980's, almost destroyed real scientific psychology but is now sidelined into sociology and philosophy and the only place you find it is in counselling)

Each of these approaches is associated with a certain way of explaining human behaviour. In other words it makes certain assumptions about behaviour which are disctinct.

Briefly as one liners these are

a) the biological approach assumes all behaviour is a result of genes, physical structures and biochemical processes in the brain.

In other words all behaviour can be explained by biology and physiology.

b) the behaviourists say all behaiour is a result of learning ( their assumptions, when you get there are associated with mechanisms of learning called classical and operant conditioning and social modelling theory( copying behaviour)

c) the cognitive approach takes the view that all behaviour is a result of THINKING processes. This means they tend to study things like memory , attention, perception and they build models to explain how thinking works.

d) the psychodynamic ( often associated with Freud) argues that behaviour is a result of conflicts which you encounter whilst growing up and which affedct your personality and behaviour ( bottom line all behaviour is a result of hidden conflicts)

Now each of these approaches have developed their own theories ( explainations of different behaviours) and therapies ( thats the clinical side of psychology) which are designed to help us understand how and why people behave as they do and in cases where people are unwell or experience mental health issues, try to help with those or even effect "cures".

On WJEC you learn one theory and one therapy associated with each school, togehter with its strengths and weaknesses and the methods it uses to investigate human behaviour.

Hope that fills in the background of what you are about here.
In the biological approach - you have two assumptions ( out of the three ) to learn. The theory is General adaption Syndrome which is a theory which tries to explain stress in biological terms

The therapy you will learn will be either be drug therapy or psychosurgery, to help in different psychological illnesses ( for the biological approach it is illness - they take the medical view that illness is caused by a biological or chemical inbalance and making a person well again is to bring back those balances by surgery or use of drugs.)

So after you have got the assumptions, the next move will be GAS ( Selye)

WOW! Can I correct this one? It matters very much in WJEC if you include other apporaches. Dont! If it asks biological, it wants biological. Anything else will not get marks.

Thats no criticism as such, just the way WJEC works. Its clear and its precise.

Latest

Trending

Trending