The Student Room Group

plz i need ur help with economic degree

i am going to do maths,economics,accounting
because i intend to do an economic or accounting degree will these subjects get me to a good university.

my college dose not offer further maths. and i intend on not doing any science subjects since i am very weak in them.also my college said that i cant do more than 3 a-levels:eek3:

i will also be happy to hear what courses u do and and advice

would i be able to apply to warwick or ucl? if i get AAA?

Scroll to see replies

Reason why you wouldn't be consdiered for any of the top 10.

1.Only 3 A levels
2.Accounting is not very respected
3.No FM
4.Weak predictions
5.No A* for Maths

So to put a downer on the thread by there's a hell of a lot against you.
Reply 2
yoyo462001

1.Only 3 A levels
3.No FM
4.Weak predictions
5.No A* for Maths

no need to be rude! anywayz i might change accounting to history!
what was said above and also, accounting to history? you are clearly passionate about both of them. you didn't even take history a level
Reply 4
parfait-ego
what was said above and also, accounting to history? you are clearly passionate about both of them. you didn't even take history a level

i MIght change accounting to history since uni will prefer it
aymanmoussa
i MIght change accounting to history since uni will prefer it

Be clear to what you are referring to. OP said accounting or economics degree. Therefore i assumed that when you said accounting to history it was a change of course. So instead mention that you are talking about A levels and yes history is much more preferred than accounting at A level.
Reply 6
parfait-ego
Be clear to what you are referring to. OP said accounting or economics degree. Therefore i assumed that when you said accounting to history it was a change of course. So instead mention that you are talking about A levels and yes history is much more preferred than accounting at A level.

oh thanks! i will think about it! but i dnt see anything wrong with accounting! and i heard it is hard to get an A in history
aymanmoussa
oh thanks! i will think about it! but i dnt see anything wrong with accounting! and i heard it is hard to get an A in history

Yeah it can be hard to get an A, but with enough work and practise, its not so bad. I know a lot of people who got 100% in their exam, therefore its possible :smile:
Reply 8
If you can't get an a* in maths and an a at least in history, you will not be wanted by warwick or ucl. (both a*aa and highly competitive). Why do people not understand that entrance REQUIREments are necessary.
Reply 9
bmt
If you can't get an a* in maths and an a at least in history, you will not be wanted by warwick or ucl. (both a*aa and highly competitive). Why do people not understand that entrance REQUIREments are necessary.

yh i will get da A* in maths and an A in economics.
but how about A in Accounting.
will they still take me in these 3 a-levels when i get A*AA
Reply 10
yoyo462001

1.Only 3 A levels
3.No FM
4.Weak predictions
5.No A* for Maths
Neither of these will count against him as they are restrictions imposed by his college not by choice, he just has to make sure that his referee mentions this.
Reply 11
ColdVein
Neither of these will count against him as they are restrictions imposed by his college not by choice, he just has to make sure that his referee mentions this.

BUT SHOULD I CHANGE ACCOUNTING TO HISTORY! I DNT SEE DA POINT! WILLING TO LISTEN TO UR ADVICE
ColdVein

You can take FM outside of your school. Top unis are unlikely to just wave away not having FM since there will be people who self teach it.
aymanmoussa
no need to be rude! anywayz i might change accounting to history!

I didn't mean to. :no: The last line was meant to be.

'So not to put a downer on the thread but there's a hell of a lot against you.'
Reply 14
can someone explain what this means plz;

Excluded subject combinations:
It is our experience that candidates offering certain combinations of A-levels tend not to be successful on our degree programmes, perhaps because of the abilities they have developed are too focused towards one particular area and they lack the breadth of ability for studying in our School. We are therefore unlikely to make offers to applicants doing A-levels which are chosen ONLY from among Mathematics, Accounting, Chemistry, Further Mathematics, Physics and Statistics. Combinations of these subjects are fine provided there is also another subject offered at full A-level
Reply 15
aymanmoussa
can someone explain what this means plz;

Excluded subject combinations:
It is our experience that candidates offering certain combinations of A-levels tend not to be successful on our degree programmes, perhaps because of the abilities they have developed are too focused towards one particular area and they lack the breadth of ability for studying in our School. We are therefore unlikely to make offers to applicants doing A-levels which are chosen ONLY from among Mathematics, Accounting, Chemistry, Further Mathematics, Physics and Statistics. Combinations of these subjects are fine provided there is also another subject offered at full A-level

Basically just saying they don't want people who only do 3 subjects from off that list and none from off it as they come from a narrow skill base. I would honestly suggest to do history instead of accounting, if you can get an a in economics then you should be able to get one in history. It is so much more respected.
Reply 16
yoyo462001
You can take FM outside of your school. Top unis are unlikely to just wave away not having FM since there will be people who self teach it.
I know for a fact that LSE will not hold a lack of FM against you if your school doesn't offer it, I can't speak for UCL etc.
yoyo462001

1.Only 3 A levels
3.No FM
4.Weak predictions
5.No A* for Maths

I'm confused where you got that from the OP lol. Maybe I'm just being slow!

OP - change accounting for history like you said.
Reply 18
You said no need to be rude. I will be rude (in my eyes just honest, and direct but I guess it will be seen as rude).

Text speak = sign of character, not good. (Most people I know who write like this even on an internet forum would not be UCL material, so I am going to generalise on this).

If you can't even understand the text you quoted you would not do too well at UCL (either economics or accounting).

Yes, change to History. Similar reason to above, 3 a levels is no work load nor is history a level as challenging as an economics (or even accounting for that matter) degree at UCL. So what do you think will happen if you do get in?
Too Many Decisions
I'm confused where you got that from the OP lol. Maybe I'm just being slow!

OP - change accounting for history like you said.

The Op makes a prediction of his/her A level grades.

"would i be able to apply to warwick or ucl? if i get AAA?"

This prediction has no maths A* and are weak for top unis.

Latest

Trending

Trending