The Student Room Group

I can apply to Edinburgh but not allowed to visit

Yeah, so my parents have decided to 'forbid' me visiting Edinburgh but say I can apply there. I've heard great things about it, the course looks amazing as does the facilities. I won't start ranting about how frustrating it is, just wondering if anybody has done this before (applied and not visited). Are there any other really good UKCAT universities that people could suggest.

Sorry for the strange thread :o:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why are your parents not letting you visit? :s-smilie:
Tell them to come with you if they're worried about you going alone or bring a few friends.
I'm sure there will be Open Days you can attend as well to get more information.
I applied to 5 different universities before visiting any of them haha.
I got into the one I wanted though but I've still only been up 3 times :smile:
xxx
Reply 2
*Dreamer*
Yeah, so my parents have decided to 'forbid' me visiting Edinburgh but say I can apply there. I've heard great things about it, the course looks amazing as does the facilities. I won't start ranting about how frustrating it is, just wondering if anybody has done this before (applied and not visited). Are there any other really good UKCAT universities that people could suggest.

Why the hell not?

Because of the cost to get there?

Well when i applied to Peninsula I had never visited, but i visited after applying and at interview.
I've not visited it for my application (I will be applying there) but my brother goes there and I've visited him. It's really nice (if sometimes a little cold!). The library is really good, but most importantly, I've heard the night life is amazing!
Reply 4
*Dreamer*

I only visited one of my 5.
And then got rejected from it.
Stupid Northern Ireland makes it too expensive to visit them all.
Reply 5
Because of the distance. It makes no logical sense. I've always been pretty independent and they've been fine with it. Its like they've realised I'm going away from home and are getting all protective :confused:

If not, I've got to consider another UKCAT medical school or do something crazy like apply to Imperial AND UCL. :eek:
*Dreamer*

Given that you must be almost 18, at least, what prevents you from getting on a bus, train or plane and going there by yourself? You hardly need parental permission, do you?
Reply 7
*Dreamer*
Because of the distance. It makes no logical sense. I've always been pretty independent and they've been fine with it. Its like they've realised I'm going away from home and are getting all protective :confused:

If not, I've got to consider another UKCAT medical school or do something crazy like apply to Imperial AND UCL. :eek:

They probably don't want you to go alone, and you cant blame them, its pretty much as far as you can get away from London, while staying in the UK.

So go with some friends or with one of your parents.
Ask your parents whether they want you to apply to a uni, get in, go there, then drop out cos you hate it, wasting thousands of pounds in the process. Applying to a uni you haven't visited is IMO utter madness. Or at least visit if/when you get an offer.
Reply 9
vas876
They probably don't want you to go alone, and you cant blame them, its pretty much as far as you can get away from London, while staying in the UK.

So go with some friends or with one of your parents.

I planned to go with my friend, they said no. Asked if I could go with one of my parents. Still saying no. But I'll keep working on it, open day is the 25th September so I have time. I still think they'll be stubborn, so I'm looking for alternatives.

Any suggestions of other unis to apply to?
You're... forbidden? Wow. Imagine what they'll be like when you try and leave for uni :lol:
Reply 11
colabottles
You're... forbidden? Wow. Imagine what they'll be like when you try and leave for uni :lol:

No, I'm DEFINITELY leaving home for university. They know that much :rolleyes:

I'm just frustrated because I had my uni choices sorted until this, and now its messed everything up.

Grr
*Dreamer*
No, I'm DEFINITELY leaving home for university. They know that much :rolleyes:

I'm just frustrated because I had my uni choices sorted until this, and now its messed everything up.

Grr

You are almost an adult, sort it out!
*Dreamer*

I did that lol. It's not that crazy :wink:

Seriously though...what vas876 said. :yep:
Reply 14
Markh1000
I did that lol. It's not that crazy :wink:

Seriously though...what vas876 said. :yep:

Well you're amazing :eek3:

Its seriously not that easy *sigh* The weird thing is they're letting me go Nepal for 3 weeks next year?

Whats UCL like compared to Imperial, out of interest?
*Dreamer*
Yeah, so my parents have decided to 'forbid' me visiting Edinburgh

With good reason, Edinburgh is terrifyingly close to the city of Dundee. A place where the locals would make absolute mince meat out of people like you.
Reply 16
Caponester
With good reason, Edinburgh is terrifyingly close to the city of Dundee. A place where the locals would make absolute mince meat out of people like you.

And what, out of interest, is a person like me?
*Dreamer*
And what, out of interest, is a person like me?

Someone not from Dundee.
Reply 18
Caponester
Someone not from Dundee.

OK then. I thought you were going to get personal :wink:
But I'll be working on it. It looks like a great place, just have to make the rents see sense.
*Dreamer*
OK then. I thought you were going to get personal :wink:
But I'll be working on it. It looks like a great place, just have to make the rents see sense.

Yeah Edinburgh is fine if you're called Hamish or Sara. Owning land is also an optional bonus.

Latest

Trending

Trending