The Student Room Group

What is your opinion of Tourism students?

Scroll to see replies

69Crazyfists
No that's different. And here's why. A Medicine degree is a necessary part of becoming a doctor. Like I said you can go into tourism management without a tourism management degree. You cannot become a doctor unless you have the necessary qualification. You just can't.
I do however find it a bit weird that there are so many kids that want to be doctors. It's like they haven't put much thought into it - 'What subjects are you good at, Johnny?' 'Biology, Maths, Chemistry, Physics - I'm going to be a doctor' 'Well, aren't you a free spirit...'

What a strange little story :rolleyes:

I think it is good, I would prefer to have too many doctors than none at all.

I want to work in tourism in a management position so uni is kind of missing out all the boring bits before. Plus I really want to go to uni for the experience etc.
Kaykiie
Well what are you going to do when people (inevitably) tell you that your course choice is rubbish?

That is not very nice, I just wanted to grasp some opinions and I guess I will defend myself and my course choice :confused:
urbanshoemyth
That is not very nice, I just wanted to grasp some opinions and I guess I will defend myself and my course choice :confused:

Whats wrong with you?
You want to do a course, and youre happy with it...yet youre coming on here asking for opinions?...and if someone gives you what you want to hear (positive) you say thanks and :smile:

And if someone doesnt you say you "defend yourself" and your "choice"

Whats the point in doing all this?...
jakemittle
Whats wrong with you?
You want to do a course, and youre happy with it...yet youre coming on here asking for opinions?...and if someone gives you what you want to hear (positive) you say thanks and :smile:

And if someone doesnt you say you "defend yourself" and your "choice"

Whats the point in doing all this?...

How do you know what I wanted to hear? He was polite, so therefore so was I.

I just wanted opinions, how many times do I have to reiterate this?

I was a bit bored and thought it would be interesting, I didn't know that was a crime.
urbanshoemyth
Why can't you see me having a successful career?

It's not that I can't see you coming out of it with a sucessful career, I don't know you. What I meant was I can't see what high paying successful careers can be obtained with a degree in Tourism.
oodlesofpoodles
It's not that I can't see you coming out of it with a sucessful career, I don't know you. What I meant was I can't see what high paying successful careers can be obtained with a degree in Tourism.

Management in the tourism industry perhaps?
urbanshoemyth
How do you know what I wanted to hear? He was polite, so therefore so was I.

I just wanted opinions, how many times do I have to reiterate this?

I was a bit bored and thought it would be interesting, I didn't know that was a crime.

>.<

Okay.
Personally I would not take tourism as a degree, however have fun with it..
You should not be doing a degree in this subject, but a diploma or an apprenticeship.
HughMungus
Well, I know for a fact the majority would make a judgement by thinking Tourism is a "soft subject" and some would argue that it isn't a subject at all. But as others have said, who gives a ****? If you're interested in Tourism, then go for it. No point spending 3 years doing something you don't want to because it's a "better" subject.

I agree
According to Unistats only 30% of UCS management students get a graduate job, and 15% end up as "sales assistants and retail cashiers, table waiting or bar work" that's slightly worrying, but it's not the be-all and end-all of that degree. If you get good work experience, good summer placements, good extra curricular activities for the CV and a good 2:1 or 1st degree. (Only 50% of Management students at UCS get a 2:1 or above) then there is no reason why you cannot achieve your dreams.
Margaret Thatcher
You should not be doing a degree in this subject, but a diploma or an apprenticeship.

That wouldn't work.

The only apprenticeship I could find was for Thomas Cook, and I don't want to work in a travel agents.

Also, I don't appreciate being told what I "should not" be doing.
urbanshoemyth
Management in the tourism industry perhaps?

You don't need a degree for that. Seems to me that if you want to go down that route university seems to be an unnecessary expense. But that's just my opinion.
Reply 32
A mickey mouse joke degree with no academic merit. That's my personal opinion.

It's just one of those degrees that seem a bit of a waste of time and money - seeing as there's no academic value to the degree (like History, Classics, Languages) nor does it equip you for a job you couldn't do otherwise (Medicine, Engineering, Architecture).

I mean if all you want to do is be a Tourism Manager (whatever the hell that is) then it's probably perfect, but is the piece of paper really worth the £20,000 you'll have spent? I doubt it, but that's your decision to make. I imagine you could go straight into being a Thomas Cook holiday rep or whatever your future career aspirations are straight from A-Levels, and you'd save a heck of a lot of time and money.

You asked for my opinion, so I'm giving it to you. It just seems like one of those degrees people take just because they want to go to uni.
screenager2004
According to Unistats only 30% of UCS management students get a graduate job, and 15% end up as "sales assistants and retail cashiers, table waiting or bar work" that's slightly worrying, but it's not the be-all and end-all of that degree. If you get good work experience, good summer placements, good extra curricular activities for the CV and a good 2:1 or 1st degree. (Only 50% of Management students at UCS get a 2:1 or above) then there is no reason why you cannot achieve your dreams.

I know UCS is not the best, but I have personal reasons for going there.
However, I will work hard, get the most industry experience possible and hopefully get a 2:1!!! I know it will not be easy, but I will put the work in :smile:

Thanks
oodlesofpoodles
You don't need a degree for that. Seems to me that if you want to go down that route university seems to be an unnecessary expense. But that's just my opinion.

But I want to go to uni and I don't need to worry about the expense - so why not!!!
i'm going to tell you what you appear to want to here. hear. :facepalm:

wasted potential. decent gcses suggest to me a lack of work at A level. you could be doing something that would get you a great job, or an actual profession rather than a vague field of industry. or maybe something that has academic merit and is worth doing in its own right.

fair enough, do what you want, but there are easier routes to better jobs.
Reply 36
A qualification in being a tourist?

sounds cool,

"i have a degree in how to go to magaluff!"
Tefhel
A mickey mouse joke degree with no academic merit. That's my personal opinion.

It's just one of those degrees that seem a bit of a waste of time and money - seeing as there's no academic value to the degree (like History, Classics, Languages) nor does it equip you for a job you couldn't do otherwise (Medicine, Engineering, Architecture).

I mean if all you want to do is be a Tourism Manager (whatever the hell that is) then it's probably perfect, but is the piece of paper really worth the £20,000 you'll have spent? I doubt it, but that's your decision to make. I imagine you could go straight into being a Thomas Cook holiday rep or whatever your future career aspirations are straight from A-Levels, and you'd save a heck of a lot of time and money.

You asked for my opinion, so I'm giving it to you.

No I don't want to be a "Tourism Manager", I want to be a manager in the tourism industry and that could be in any sector, I do not want to be a rep. Don't worry about the money :smile:

However, I appreciate your opinion :smile:

Thanks
Alvrae
A qualification in being a tourist?

sounds cool,

"i have a degree in how to go to magaluff!"

No, a degree in management and I never ever want to go to Magaluff.
urbanshoemyth
But I want to go to uni and I don't need to worry about the expense - so why not!!!

this, by the way, is what gives people the right to comment.
you are wilfully and in full awareness of your actions wasting tax payers money.
i don't blame you, i abuse stupid systems as much as anyone else - my ema, for instance, pays for my iphone bill and alcoholism. but the system does need to change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending