The Student Room Group

AS chemistry or history

Im studying - English lang, english lit, biology,chemistry.
In core science and additional science i got 2 A's.

I just started six form today. But im having second thoughts about studying chemistry, i mean i dont think my heart is in it, i mean i probably consider it a chore more than a lesson. However i do particulary enjoy writing, and essays that kind of thing, so i was thinking changing chemistry to history(even though i didnt take history gcse (thats what im scared off), but i did get 2 A's in lang, and lit in gcse).
So do you think i should change chemistry to history, or not. Then ill be studying literature,language,history,biology, is that a good combo, btw i think i want to be a journalist when i grow older.
If your heart isn't in learning chemistry, then don't. and swap :wink:

A levels are much different to GCSEs, you could get by in GCSEs by not wanting to learn the subject, but grudgingly learning it, in A- level, if your heart isn't in it and you don't try, it is quite possible to get a bad grade.

If you enjoy writing essays and analysing then take history, it will suit a journalism career much more and will be well respected.

I say change :smile:
Reply 2
fishkeeper
If your heart isn't in learning chemistry, then don't. and swap :wink:

A levels are much different to GCSEs, you could get by in GCSEs by not wanting to learn the subject, but grudgingly learning it, in A- level, if your heart isn't in it and you don't try, it is quite possible to get a bad grade.

If you enjoy writing essays and analysing then take history, it will suit a journalism career much more and will be well respected.

I say change :smile:

Even if i didnt do history at gcse?
would i cope?
I do both History and Chemistry.

I find it really hard to advise since they're two very widely different subjects. If you're a sciencey person, you'll do better in Chemistry. If you're an Englishy person, you'll do better in History. Opinions change on A-levels throughout the year (I loved English Lit at start of AS and ended up dropping it this year) so I wouldn't let your first opinion sway you too much unless you just know it's not for you.

Also, you don't need to have taken the GCSE in order to do well in AS. My friend got an A at AS (a very high A, at that) without taking the GCSE.

It's really up to you. Look at the History topics and see if they interest you. If so, ask a few people how they've found the first few lessons and as long as not all of them reply terrible then go for it, if you want :smile:
Truthfully, I never did History at GCSE or A-level. But I do chemistry so thats where my opinion came from above :P

From what my friends say, you learn all the content in the AS course and no prior knowledge is needed, as you look at your sources and then select the required information out of them etc

But from doing chemistry, if your heart isn't in it, don't do it. Thats from personal experience :P
Reply 5
diamondblood1

I just started six form today. But im having second thoughts about studying chemistry, i mean i dont think my heart is in it, i mean i probably consider it a chore more than a lesson. However i do particulary enjoy writing, and essays that kind of thing, so i was thinking changing chemistry to history(even though i didnt take history gcse (thats what im scared off), but i did get 2 A's in lang, and lit in gcse).
So do you think i should change chemistry to history, or not. Then ill be studying literature,language,history,biology, is that a good combo, btw i think i want to be a journalist when i grow older.

having done history AS i would not recommend it although it would be really good for journalism. although it is really interesting to study, when it comes to revision there is so much and its quite difficult to get a good grade in it. Also as you have not done GCSE history it will be a lot harder and you won't have the foundation skills that are really important for history AS. so think carefully and talk to the teachers to get some advice if its what you really want to do.:yep: having also done chemistry at AS and A2 level i really enjoyed it and its much easier to revise for. but if you don't find it interesting then you should not do it. have you thought about phychology as its more sciency and there is still the essay componenent element to it. its not as respectable as chemistry but you may like it. it also complements biology and english, which you are already doing. hope this helps.:smile:
both subjects are nice to study. But I prefer chemistry.
I would really urge you think on this before you make any decisions. I took history at A level having not studied it at GCSE. I found that I really struggled with it. There was a certain way of doing things that the other students seemed to have learnt at GCSE that I just never picked up. But that is my experience. If you really want to do it and your prepares to work your butt off go for it :-)
Reply 8
I dont exactly hate chemistry, its just that i prefer writing more than sciency stuff. And plus which subject would be harder to get a higher grade in.
diamondblood1

For students aspiring to be a journalist, I think English Lit/Lan, History and Maths will be a nice combination:p: but I think a-level media studies can also help:smile:. The reason why maths is important is because these days journalist meet a lot of statistics(particularly from the government departments and tink tanks), so A-level maths will help you, oh and also maths will help you think critically which is a great skill needed for journalism, since as a journalist you will be separating the truth from the fiction in the current media climate:wink:
fishkeeper
Truthfully, I never did History at GCSE or A-level. But I do chemistry so thats where my opinion came from above :P

From what my friends say, you learn all the content in the AS course and no prior knowledge is needed, as you look at your sources and then select the required information out of them etc

But from doing chemistry, if your heart isn't in it, don't do it. Thats from personal experience :P

It is however, massively beneficial.
Reply 11
is chemistry really that hard, i mean if i work and put in the effort will i be capable of achieving a good grade.
diamondblood1
is chemistry really that hard, i mean if i work and put in the effort will i be capable of achieving a good grade.

of course! I'm doing AS chemistry this year and from what've heard if you work hard from the beginning and do lot's of practice on exam questions, getting an A won't be much of a trouble.:smile:
Reply 13
so is alevel chemistry as scary as it looks, i may have prejudged it , i dont know.
diamondblood1
so is alevel chemistry as scary as it looks, i may have prejudged it , i dont know.

To be fair I got an A in Chemistry AS with minimal interest... but quite a bit of work. I think History requires more interest to be taken in, though.

The great thing about History AS is that you don't have to put a lot of detail in the exam; it's more about the skills you use. Obviously you need a good overall understanding but you don't need to memorise loads of dates (only a few key ones) unlike Chemistry which requires excellent, perfect memory for a lot of stuff. (This is going by my exam boards; Edexcel History and OCR Chemistry A).

Just giving you more advantages and disadvantages for both to confuse you more I guess :p:

Latest