The Student Room Group

Whats Hard S1 or M1?

Hello on edexcel maths A level which exam paper is Harder, M1 or S1? personally i prefer stats or physics
dont know about edexcel, but it depends what sort of maths you like.

if you prefer the whole problem solving side of things then go for mechanics.
if you prefer learning facts etc then go for stats.

surely you did both sorts of maths at gcse?
From what i've heard from most people, Mechanics is the harder. My brother took both modules S1 and M1 and believed stats to be far the easier option. That's just one particular case though, I guess it depends on your brain. If you're good at physics I think it helps with Mechanics. I took Mechanics and found it very hard but came out with an A grade on M1. that slipped to a C on M2 though :/
I found Stats a bitch when I first started but something just clicked when I began revising it and it became really, really easy for me.

I've found Mechanics pretty easy right from the start (so far)...

My teacher said most people tend to do better in Mechanics than Stats, but it really depends on the individual. In our school we do Stats in AS and Mechanics in A2 so that could suggest M1 is perceived harder? There's no real answer, just personal preference.

Personally I'd say go for Stats :smile:
Their both good, as long as you have a good teacher.

I prefer Mechanics, especially if you want to go down the Engineering root and its better if you do Physics too, because you tend to use SUVAT a lot.

Stats definitely easier but boring as hell! Lol
I think I have to add I did better in Stats than Mechanics.
Reply 5
Stats probably easier as you can predict the questions-meanig questions pattern is fixed but mechanics.......not very sure
Reply 6
I got 100 in S1 and 84 in M1, although I find Mechanics more interesting.
Reply 7
I think most ppl would say stats is easier :smile:
mfc20
I got 100 in S1 and 84 in M1, although I find Mechanics more interesting.

This. Except I got 94 and 74 for s1 and m1 respectively.
Reply 9
i got 69 in S1 and 91 in M1....stats is easier as i never made an effort..i thought id fail it
Yeah as above, stats is easier but way more boring.
I'd say mechanics is easier.

I /hated/ doing stats. With a passion :biggrin:
If you're doing physics, then M1 would be easier, but if you did edxcel gcse stats, s2 is basically that

ps, I did both, personally found m1 easier.
Reply 13
Stats is easy but soooooooooooo boring
Reply 14
Don't know about Edexcel, but on AQA Mechanics is really hard! This being said, I find it more interesting than statistics so it's not so much which you'd find harder but which you'd enjoy more so you're more willing to put in some effort :smile:
I got 95 in Stats and 80 in Mechanics, M1 was a shock because I thought I had failed, but i'd say S1 is easier because you cannot go wrong, as long as you just memorise the key things and if you do every past paper, it does become repetitive and much easier.
I did both on WJEC last year, and i didnt find either that hard at all

personally when learning everything through the year stats was so boring, because it was so simple, so i preferred mechanics

but when it came to the exams i had a dodgy stats paper and did much better in mechanics than i did in stats

alot depends on how your brian works and the type of maths you like

i did physics too and found there was a lot of overlap between mechanics 1 and physics 1 which was really handy

hope that helped:smile:
If you did GCSE Stats, then Stats would be A LOT easier. Otherwise, i'd say Mechanics. There's just a lot to remember from Stats, compared to Mechanics. But like she said, it depends on how your brain works.
M!
Reply 19
I found M1 a lot easier than S1, namely because I like proper maths whereas S1 (I'm Edexcel too) was full of nasty wordy questions and hardly any maths at all. For me, learning the mechanics was a lot easier than trying to memorise wordy answers - S1 was horrible. It gets much better in S2 though, which is actually a nice module!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending