The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

2010 Fresher questions!

Coming over from the States, just managed to get my visa last week, so a lil slow in getting things done obviously! Does anyone know of a way to get a bunch of copies made of the passport pics we already had to take? I keep hearing how we need a ton for things! Are we allowed to smile in any ID card photos? I noticed the U-Card apps are due in Friday and it takes 10 days to get to the UK from here, should I send mine or just wait for registration? Are there tickets to any major events that really MUST be bought in advance as they sell out too quickly? How do you get signed up for a mentor? Do you have to get one based on what type you are? example: International, Management student...?
Reply 1
Hey, I'm on the same boat...
I haven't gotten that freshers week package that others have gotten.. and I just sent off my Ucard application yesterday, but doubt they'd get it on the 10th.
And also wondering about the tickets.. so if we don't buy them beforehand, I won't be able to buy it on the day?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
lavendermyst
Coming over from the States, just managed to get my visa last week, so a lil slow in getting things done obviously! Does anyone know of a way to get a bunch of copies made of the passport pics we already had to take? I keep hearing how we need a ton for things! Are we allowed to smile in any ID card photos? I noticed the U-Card apps are due in Friday and it takes 10 days to get to the UK from here, should I send mine or just wait for registration? Are there tickets to any major events that really MUST be bought in advance as they sell out too quickly? How do you get signed up for a mentor? Do you have to get one based on what type you are? example: International, Management student...?

Well, usually when you have passport photos taken you can tell them how many copies you'd like? Get a bunch made so you don't have to have them done on the spot, that way you get to pick one which you like. Yes, we're allowed to smile (at least I haven't encountered anything which would suggest the opposite). I wouldn't bother sending the form, it won't get there on time; just do the UCard stuff once you're here. Tickets to most of the stuff sell out really quickly, I don't think you necessarily have to buy everything in advance but as soon as you meet your flatmates definitely try to decide what events you want to go to and get the tickets!! They sell out quick. Well, you've automatically got a residential mentor assigned to your flat who you can get help from, as for a course mentor I think you have to talk to your department about that / apply for one.
Reply 3
lavendermyst

In terms of mentors, if you apply they usually pair you with someone on your course and they ask you to fill in a bit about your hobbies and interests
lavendermyst

When you get your passport photo taken just ask for several copies. I smiled in my "passport" photos and they didn't reject the photo for my Ucard. I got 10 copies of my passport photo and I'm actually running out of pictures. They seem to just disappear as the months go by. Don't buy tickets in advance til you meet your flatmates. I bought tickets before I really met people and I ended up not going to the event cuz i couldn't find people to go with me/my mates couldn't get tickets to go as it was already sold out. :frown: But tickets do sell out quickly esp for the big events, so quickly decide which events you want to go to with your mates.

Sorry can't help you with the mentor question as I'm in medicine - ours get automatically assigned to us.

Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending