The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Usa >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Uk

Nicer people, more advanced country, more to do, different kinds of weather in different places. Driving distance to Canada and Mexico and possibly South America.

Why would you not move from the raining piss heap and annoying accents that is the UK?
Can people stop saying **** about the high crime rates in America. Like in England, there's areas in America you don't go through and you have no reason to go there anyway unless you're looking for some crack. In fact, I can't find my source at the moment (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong), but I've heard that your in fact more likely to get assaulted walking down the average UK street compared to the US.

Spoiler

Remarqable M
Sarah Palin:facepalm2:

would smash dat.
America is a beautiful and fantastic country. There's just one drawback-the Americans.
England all the wayy :smile:
(:Becca(:
America is a beautiful and fantastic country. There's just one drawback-the Americans.

This. It's a great country, but ruined by americans:frown:
Reply 46
so you wanna consider moving there without knowing anything about the country - i think you should visit it first
spazman21
Every state is like a different country to be honest... I'm hoping to go study in North America. I'd love to go to NYU. You can't go wrong with New York. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't love that city.

California is amazing for the weather and girls, especially LA. Apparently every girl there is drop-dead gorgeous :yep:

New York :sogood: I've been twice and it's amazing
Addzter
Well, the United States has some great things to see and do, but it's also let down by stuff like high crime rates and Sarah Palin.

Your crime rates are higher than ours. :yep:
Made in the USA
Your crime rates are higher than ours. :yep:

Your crime rates are gayer than ours.
Reply 50
Grass is always greener... And good luck moving to America unless you have family there (or marry into one)
Reply 51
AXERTYRE
Because it is the only place I can move to besides England. I can move to other EU countries but I can't speak their lanuages.

Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Malta have got English as one of the main languages.
It is pretty extended as well in some places in Spain, where only British people live, in Cyprus, some places in Switzerland, the Netherlands, Scandinavia, etc.
Plus, you can always learn a new language. You can pick one.
Outside the EU, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, HK, Malaysia, South Africa or Canada are also English-speaking, and more realistic than the US unless you know people there or have the passport.

Which language would you like to learn? And please, don't say none. If you do, I may feel obliged to tell you something else.
Reply 52
Are you aware of the fact that the US is, well, massive? Especially compared to Britain. There are 50 different states, hundreds of cities and towns and the quality of life, people, climate and lifestyle all vary from place to place. You need to look into the possibility of hurricanes if you're considering coastal areas, your job prospects, if you can actually get a Green Card, etc. etc. You will hate me for this, but I'm afraid it's not a simple matter of which country is better.
Reply 53
US pros and cons:

Pros:

.Lower taxes
.Probably easier to get richer there then it is here
.Bigger houses
.Cheaper things in general
.A different culture that you may or may not like (And one that, like Britain, differs from area to area)
.I've heard that British men are very popular with American women
.Massive diversity in terms of enviroments and weather (They've got everything from freezing cold tundras, to scorching deserts, to vast plains to towering mountains), with a lot of things to see and do if you travel

Cons:

.No NHS
.Very different politics. Our Conservatives would be considered very Liberal in the US and they have a lot of Fundementalists and morons like Sarah Palin are allowed into power. Politics are also a lot more partisan with little choice aside from the two main parties. I put this in cons although you may like there more Right-wing politics
.Culture shock- attitudes are generally very different over there, and things such as flag waving that are very low-key over here are very big over there.
.Hard to get a Green Card or a Visa
.Sports are very different (In my personal opinion in a bad way- but again you may like it)
.Depending on where abouts you go, there are a lot more places exposed to enviromental hazards and dangerous animals
Reply 54
Uh, I can't really comment much (having only been to the US twice, both occasions spent in the East Coast,) but you shouldn't really let crime deter your interest in ANY country you visit (with the exception of certain war-torn countries, for obvious reasons). You'll find crime only affects certain areas, and that the US (or at least the East Coast) is a lot more segregated in this respect to that of the certain cities in the UK.

One more thing to consider: the crime rate in the UK is over half of that of the US, and the UK is around 1-40th of the size of the US. With this in mind, you will find that there are some cities in the USA that are much safer than you would expect.

My last tip is to actually visit the country. Speculation will only sway your decision so far.
Reply 55
How is this thread not closed- you're really asking which country is overall better? Christ..
They're both just great. Every state in the US is almost like a different country though..

Thanks for all the nice, racist comments by the way guys :smile: I'm looking at you 'Too Many Decisions'.
Britain is one of the few places where there's no rabies. Or something like that...
Reply 57
UK is 1000000000000000++++ times better

Latest

Trending

Trending