The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

But....but...it's funny seeing Phil on crack.
Reply 21
lovely_me
If you don't enjoy it, don't watch the TV.

America likes TV they can try to aspire to and wish they were in that lifestyle. Brits like feeling smug they are not the people they are watching.

I aspire to be like Ian Beale, so I don't know what your talking about :smile:
Reply 22
cje10
Eastenders has been around for decades - way before you were even born - tackling issues that do exist in our society, even if most people, like yourself, would like to think they don't.
It has gained credit by bringing these issues to the forefront of our television screens, not by trying to "please" middle class society. This is what Eastenders does and it does well. It helps people in their own lives through the, quite often, brutal and real storylines. If you cannot see this, then you are very ignorant.

The OP's 27; Eastenders first broadcast in 1985 :p:
Are you kidding? Phil Mitchell is one of the best characters on the show.

Remember when he fell onto the birthday cake? CLASSIC. :awesome:
Sweet_Comrade
Are you kidding? Phil Mitchell is one of the best characters on the show.

Remember when he fell onto the birthday cake? CLASSIC. :awesome:

Lol yeah and this is a classic Drunk Phil scene:

SirRamAlot
Lol yeah and this is a classic Drunk Phil scene:

:lol:

I also thought Ben was hilarious, in a painfully annoying way.
There should be a system whereby we could make all the TVs currently showing Eastenders to suddenly excrete a lethal, painless gas (well, maybe a slightly painful one). Amirite? :awesome:
Sweet_Comrade
:lol:

I also thought Ben was hilarious, in a painfully annoying way.

Yeah he was a rubbish actor, which made his scenes all the more funnier - especially that scene where he's about smack Jordan. :rofl:
I've never watched an entire episode of Eastenders but I know that it's awful.
Reply 29
Matematik
American soap operas generally portray decent middle class people. All Eastenders portrays is low class, drug taking, drunken scum bags - everything that is wrong with the UK. I'm not saying the UK is the only country with problems, but other countries don't quite seem to relish their under-class in quite the same way the UK does. Americans consider them scum not worthy of television airtime.

I see Eastenders and think what a rough, dirty, uncouthed, filthy place the UK is.

The same way Breaking Bad portrays a murderer and drug dealer? It's just fiction, and sometimes a delve into the seedier and darker underbelly can be interesting and enthralling, as the vast majority of civilised and decent people would not be overly familiar with the reality.

I think you may be reading into it a little too much.
"Decent" middle class people? Have you ever watched American TV? They have shows about their underclass too.
What an idiotic comparison to make.
Amuroray
BTW

Anerican tv>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> English tv.

this
Reply 32
"Decent middle class people"

Lol!

Op, shut up. Seriously. You sound like a narrow minded, blithering moron.
SirRamAlot
Yeah he was a rubbish actor, which made his scenes all the more funnier - especially that scene where he's about smack Jordan. :rofl:

Hahaha! XD Did you see the part when he was dancing?
Also, nothing beats Phil dropping Ben, especially the Lethal Bizzle remix. :top:
amelialynch
OP, if this isn't a troll, then you're simply idiotic.

There are many soap operas - in both the UK and US - which depict different classes and lifestyles. Some of those programmes are more idealised for humour of escapism purposes, but most of them are just offering a dramatised depiction of a life most people don't actually live, even if they do - God forbid - live in London and drink alcohol.

There is nothing 'wrong' with the UK - you just sound like another narrowed minded middle-class kid whose been told what to think by the Daily Fail. I bet you nod in vehement agreement every time you hear that stupid phrase 'Broken Britain'. :rolleyes:

And to add: you're right, most other countries don't relish in their underclass the way we seem to. Most other countries just ignore them like they don't exist.

I'm a passionate nationalist and I would never dream of saying that!
I agree, but if people were normal it wouldn't be interesting.

I hate the show with a passion. When Phil got shot I was in year 6, and all my friends would not shut the **** up about it, and I was just all like, whatever, I don't watch that ****, and they said I was sad?? :facepalm:

But it makes good TV for most ppl I guess....:dontknow:
Reply 36
Matematik
American soap operas generally portray decent middle class people. All Eastenders portrays is low class, drug taking, drunken scum bags - everything that is wrong with the UK. I'm not saying the UK is the only country with problems, but other countries don't quite seem to relish their under-class in quite the same way the UK does. Americans consider them scum not worthy of television airtime.

I see Eastenders and think what a rough, dirty, uncouthed, filthy place the UK is.

Yes, we're bloody awful people and we should all be ashamed of themselves. We're lucky we have self appointed moral guardians like yourself to drag us kciking and screaming out of the darkenss and into the light.
iwwhty
I'm guessing you've never watched the Jerry Springer show :biggrin:

Or Maury.
I can't be bothered with it personally, it's far too over the top and the acting isn't very good. But to say it's typical of Britain is to miss the point of the show.
Wow, from what I've read none of you have watched Emmerdale? its pretty much rural/middle-class Britain. You got around 14 businesses owned by different characters. The closet person to a chav is gay and the girl who is taking drugs is treated as if she had been caught plotting a terrorist attack. One family own an estate and live in a mansion as well.

EastEnders is set in a fictional borough called walford, in the East End of London. Have you even bothered to find out the social-economic demographics of the East End of London? Historically the East of London has always been notorious for poverty, crime, immigration and generally harbouring the most disadvantaged. How awful of the EastEnders writers to try and attempt to represent the average life of an East End Londoner.

Better yet, why not have them all live in splendid Grade listed terraces, and let all their children attend a private school. Instead of Pat looking after Bianca's children, we have Merry bloody popins. Much better...

Latest

Trending

Trending