The Student Room Group

The Manchester City Society II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laertes
We went over this the last time you mentioned him. Boateng played plenty, the reason he didn't play more was because he wasn't as good as Touré or Lescott and wasn't even on the same planet as Kompany.

I agree about Vertonghen, though. He'd be the perfect addition: A good ball-playing defender, left-footed, versatile and Belgian - and isn't Martin Skrtel.

To say he played plenty is a tad disengenuous, tbh, given that he played 24 games in a season where City played 50+ games.
What about that Rami bloke, hear he's class.
Original post by Kevmeister
To say he played plenty is a tad disengenuous, tbh, given that he played 24 games in a season where City played 50+ games.

I also reckon that a lot of his appearances were as a sub or in the league cup.
Original post by rickjames
What about that Rami bloke, hear he's class.

Would valencia sell? They've been selling a lot of key players recently like arsenal have, so maybe a 15 million pound bid could do the trick.

Ok, I'm gonna go through a list of players.

Chiellini (very unlikely but kompany and chiellini would be probably the best CB pairing in the world so worth a try)
hummels
rami
Vertonghen
rolando
If you City fans are looking for a central defender, Mats Hummels would be a brilliant call. Would cost a bomb, but its not unlike City to piss money away if needed.

On a side note, I feel City seriously ****ed up yesterday. Arsenal will decide who the title goes to this season, City win there you'll have a chance (as long asyou beat United), lose and its Uniteds for the taking.
Stoke away 3 days after Chelsea could prove fairly difficult for City. Bit harsh tbh
Original post by jam277
Would valencia sell? They've been selling a lot of key players recently like arsenal have, so maybe a 15 million pound bid could do the trick.

Chiellini (very unlikely but kompany and chiellini would be probably the best CB pairing in the world so worth a try)
hummels
rami
Vertonghen
rolando

Dede, but he's heavily linked to United.

Kinda like Neymar in that he's ridiculously hyped for his position yet only proven in South America.
Original post by Alpharius
If you City fans are looking for a central defender, Mats Hummels would be a brilliant call. Would cost a bomb, but its not unlike City to piss money away if needed.

On a side note, I feel City seriously ****ed up yesterday. Arsenal will decide who the title goes to this season, City win there you'll have a chance (as long asyou beat United), lose and its Uniteds for the taking.

And we rule off Chelsea getting a result, who beat them earlier in the season?

City have to beat Chelsea Arsenal and Man Utd AND fight through a tougher run with harder games against midtable clubs compared to us. I doubt Arsenal will be the sole decider
Reply 2828
City should go for Thiago Silva.

Unfortunately, I can't look past United winning the title now. I think City will win at the Etihad but you'll drop points otherwise whereas United won't. I think you've let it slip like we did 3 years back.
Reply 2829
Original post by Kevmeister

Not really, 24 games was about half of our games, considering how many other capable defenders we had, it was plenty. It wasn't a massive amount of games but it was more than enough to demonstrate whether he had the aptitude for the English game and, frankly, given the money spent and the expectations of him, he was left wanting.

I don't by any means think those performances represented his peak but he didn't do enough to deserve a starting place. And, perhaps most damningly of all, I can't even say he demonstrated the same desire to earn a place like some others - most notably Zaba, who was second choice right-back and James Milner, who also struggled to find his feet.
Reply 2830
Wasn't Mancini supposedly interested in signing Thiago Silva last summer? If it's a defender you guys need, I'd expect his name would be one of the first to come up. Vertonghen would be a great shout, though: probably more sensibly priced, on lower wages (not sure how far this matters to you guys, but still) and with a (I'm guessing) pre-existing rapport with Kompany. He's also made it abundantly clear that he's itching to play and prove himself at a top Premiership club - though I'd imagine he'd want to be a nailed on starter (particularly after what he's used to as captain of Ajax), and I don't know how far you guys can offer him that...
Reply 2831
Original post by jam277

hummels
rami
Vertonghen
rolando

Mascherano Puyol Pique and Abidal disagree
Original post by Zerforax
With the embarassment of riches that City have, why can't they aim for another world class CB? They obviously want to win the league and the CL in the future. We saw how good Vidic/Ferdinand were together at their peak - something City should aim for or aim to surpass.

Meh. If one was available then sure why not, but there's far more pressing matters. For instance we still need a player who can consistently get behind defences, then they'll sit off slightly and we won't get pressed as hard.
Reply 2833
So you want Van Persie to go with your dwindling numbers of strikers... I count 5 including Adebayor, all of who you paid massive amounts for.

But hey, why stop?
Original post by jam277
THANK YOU!!!!
But when I say this, I'm chatting rubbish because I'm a chelsea fan, lets be serious, you guys have the team to win the league. Mancini is terrible in europe lets face it, he hasn't got to a semi final in europe even with that inter team which says it all. City are supposedly the only team that can realistically challenge in europe, how comes they were dumped out of the group stages.

To those who say bayern are strong and are CL contenders, they just lost to basel and despite having a 10 point lead are now 5 points behind dortmund who can't even get past a group with an underperforming arsenal, marseille and olympiakos.

Mancini's a good manager no doubt about it. He's certainly a million times better than Mark Hughes and if we'd stuck with him we'd still be outside the top 5 and trophyless so what Mancini has achieved has been great. But when all's said and done it was bitterly disappointing to be knocked out of the cups the way we were. Napoli are a decent side don't get me wrong and could spring a few more upsets assuming they do get past Chelsea but if they don't win the Champions League they won't be in it next season as at the time of writing this they are outside the top 5/6 I think (I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure they're not in the top 4 in Serie A and besides this season only the top 3 from Serie A qualify). Bayern or Napoli won't be winning. Barcelona's name is on the trophy again for sure and the only team who may say otherwise are Real Madrid.

City could have had an incredible season this year. Mind if they win a trophy it will still be great but to lose the title this way that's just something I couldn't digest. If I had to pick ofcourse the league probably has more credibility than the Europa League but I do want them to win that too if only to gain greater exposure on a European stage and it would be nice to reach a show piece final being broadcast live in 100 odd countries or so (even if it isn't the Champions League).

The season is far from over but the performance at Swansea wasn't surprising and was typical of some of the flaws Mancini has as a tactician. As for the Tevez saga rather than let it drag on and on for God's sake just throw him into the mix he doesn't need any more warming up. I'm surprised they u-turned on Tevez but rather than faff about any longer they should just get on with it and start playing him because in all honesty when Aguero and Silva aren't on fire we're lacking in attacking creativity. Ballotelli is unpredictable but a fantastic player. Attack attack attack.
Loved the way you guys were pressing hard for a goal against Swansea in the closing minutes of the game.

You were like a Turtle on it's back:rofl:

Swansea out-played you in every aspect of the game, and your best player this season was below mediocre. United will definitely snatch the Premier League title this season.

Your riches can assemble a strong team however, not experience.
Reply 2836
Original post by Abiraleft
Wasn't Mancini supposedly interested in signing Thiago Silva last summer? If it's a defender you guys need, I'd expect his name would be one of the first to come up. Vertonghen would be a great shout, though: probably more sensibly priced, on lower wages (not sure how far this matters to you guys, but still) and with a (I'm guessing) pre-existing rapport with Kompany. He's also made it abundantly clear that he's itching to play and prove himself at a top Premiership club - though I'd imagine he'd want to be a nailed on starter (particularly after what he's used to as captain of Ajax), and I don't know how far you guys can offer him that...

I highly doubt we'll get Thiago Silva. Between his very publicly stated happiness in Milan, Barcelona's interest and his cost, it would seem unlikely especially with players like Vertonghen available.

I can't see us buying Chiellini either, for what it's worth, he's a key player at a rejuvenated Juventus, he's 27/8, would cost a fair whack and he's quite overrated.
Original post by Jim-Jam
So you want Van Persie to go with your dwindling numbers of strikers... I count 5 including Adebayor, all of who you paid massive amounts for.

But hey, why stop?

Because every time we've upgraded strikers we've ended up better for it? Sure it might not be sustainable but it's certainly effective.
Original post by rickjames
Dede, but he's heavily linked to United.

Kinda like Neymar in that he's ridiculously hyped for his position yet only proven in South America.

There's one guy madrid tried to buy called mario fernandes. Good stats in FM but I haven't seen him play in real life so I don't know yet.
Original post by warwickorbristol
Because every time we've upgraded strikers we've ended up better for it? Sure it might not be sustainable but it's certainly effective.

Mark hughes signings are truly terrible and for ridiculous prices, look at QPR, they buy bobby zamiora ffs!!! He did well with taiwo, but come on bobby zamora...so air.

Hughes did well with de jong, kompany, tevez and barry but he's been terrible with the wages and some players, adebayor is on above 200k a week. :confused:

Mancini is better than hughes, hughes is actually terrible, ambitious but he's also terrible.

Mancini is a bottlejob in europe and I won't be surprised if you end up trophyless this season. You guys will probably trounce us unless we beat napoli, so we won't dent your title hopes, you guys are terrible away from home though compared to at home so arsenal with van persie will be tough.

Quick Reply

Latest