The Student Room Group

The Manchester City Society II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3000
Original post by Tommyjw
Sure, stats dont show everything, but they certainly add strength to one persons argument, and that side of the argument is mine :smile:

Go ahead. And then show me how you can prove these other things favour Kompany not Vidic, and then prove how its not completely illogical and stupid to compare him via a person who has played 6 games. Id also like to remind you of who got PL player of the year last season. Thanks.

Ill be waiting :smile:

Yeah, okay. Enjoy your wait.
why is everybody so harsh on balotelli
Original post by warwickorbristol
See you're falling into the exact same trap everyone does with him. There is Balotelli the man and footballer, and Balotelli the myth. Watch his interview with Noel (?) Gallagher, he's fairly humble and even respectful to Noel, now the side point is that is clear professionalism because he's trying to please the City fans, but also he denies the majority of the off the pitch stories.
I'm not talking about those I'm talking about being caught out breaking curfew (pretty sure he does drink), throwing darts at people, fireworks. I don't care if he parks on double yellows or gives money to tramps or not.

Off the pitch wise, occasionally he is out late and yes there have been a few incidents. But on the other hand he doesn't smoke or drink. The difference between Balotelli and others is exposure; there was a time you could go into town and find Adam Johnson on a given night. But does that sell papers? Of course not because Johnson is only doing what this country considers normal. Christ even Gareth Barry at whatever age he is has been caught out.
As I said I think he does drink. He knows he will get snapped and make his manager look like a prick yet he still does it. I would expect him to show Mancini a little more respect than the other two.

On the pitch he argues and gets sent off, but so do a lot of players. I remember just a year or two ago Rooney charging round the pitch against that Danish team kicking out at players. It doesn't make either of them right but it happens. Similarly there were disciplinary issues with Cantona, Ronaldo (Constantly kicking out) etc. My point is these things happen with talented players, maybe it is that they think they're bigger than the club or whatever. But they think that because, frankly, they generally are fantastic players. You either settle for an average golden boy or a golden insane man.
Rooney gets pissed off for England and when the team isn't playing well. When was the last time he got sent off for United? He's been playing very cleanly this season, hasn't been booked at all. No point comparing Balotelli to Cantona, he not in the same league. He got 6 reds in his 5 seasons, Mario has 2 this season. When was the last time Rooney did something to cost United a game or let us down at a crucial time? Not often.

But really it brings me onto my next, and crucial point. Can you actually seperate the unpredictability of his temprament from the unpredictability of his play? Personally I think not, they are one and the same. Yes his lack of respect for authority leads to stupid decisions but it also means he stands up to be counted in big games. The decision to slot home through a crowded box to open the scoring at OT, deciding the round the keeper away to Chelsea, having the *******s to never miss a fecking penalty etc. If Rooney mellowed out would he have the same drive to win? Who knows, but I doubt it.
You certainly can, none of those things have anything to do with his ability.

This is why people need to look at the whole package. Balotelli has scored so so many important goals this season that I've lost count, I used to keep a list in my head I could reel off but it got too long. Take away those goals and we're not even in the title race, we're battling for 2nd today and United have the title wrapped up. It doesn't matter he's "lost" us the game today (He hasn't) when thats weighed up against so many he's won for us.
He's not been that good. His goal scoring is really not much better than Hernandez's for United, almost exact same pitch time. How many of Balotelli's 13 goals have been penalties too. He's not some kind of goal scoring machine. And for £24m I would hope so.

Personally will lose a lot of respect for Mancini if he destroys the lad. He brought him into this pressure cooker, if he doesn't let his career flourish like it should he's done a lot of wrong by the boy. Mancini chose to play him out wide knowing how frustrated he gets, i thought he learned that lesson last season but apparently not.
Rooney played outwide for a long time in his youth. Good players will succeed, other won't. Mancini has wrapped him in cotton wool and stuck by him for too long. Balo needs to grow up.
Reply 3003
See you're falling into the exact same trap everyone does with him. There is Balotelli the man and footballer, and Balotelli the myth. Watch his interview with Noel (?) Gallagher, he's fairly humble and even respectful to Noel, now the side point is that is clear professionalism because he's trying to please the City fans, but also he denies the majority of the off the pitch stories.

Off the pitch wise, occasionally he is out late and yes there have been a few incidents. But on the other hand he doesn't smoke or drink. The difference between Balotelli and others is exposure; there was a time you could go into town and find Adam Johnson on a given night. But does that sell papers? Of course not because Johnson is only doing what this country considers normal. Christ even Gareth Barry at whatever age he is has been caught out.

On the pitch he argues and gets sent off, but so do a lot of players. I remember just a year or two ago Rooney charging round the pitch against that Danish team kicking out at players. It doesn't make either of them right but it happens. Similarly there were disciplinary issues with Cantona, Ronaldo (Constantly kicking out) etc. My point is these things happen with talented players, maybe it is that they think they're bigger than the club or whatever. But they think that because, frankly, they generally are fantastic players. You either settle for an average golden boy or a golden insane man.

But really it brings me onto my next, and crucial point. Can you actually seperate the unpredictability of his temprament from the unpredictability of his play? Personally I think not, they are one and the same. Yes his lack of respect for authority leads to stupid decisions but it also means he stands up to be counted in big games. The decision to slot home through a crowded box to open the scoring at OT, deciding the round the keeper away to Chelsea, having the *******s to never miss a fecking penalty etc. If Rooney mellowed out would he have the same drive to win? Who knows, but I doubt it.

This is why people need to look at the whole package. Balotelli has scored so so many important goals this season that I've lost count, I used to keep a list in my head I could reel off but it got too long. Take away those goals and we're not even in the title race, we're battling for 2nd today and United have the title wrapped up. It doesn't matter he's "lost" us the game today (He hasn't) when thats weighed up against so many he's won for us.

Personally will lose a lot of respect for Mancini if he destroys the lad. He brought him into this pressure cooker, if he doesn't let his career flourish like it should he's done a lot of wrong by the boy. Mancini chose to play him out wide knowing how frustrated he gets, i thought he learned that lesson last season but apparently not.

He does smoke, and I'm pretty sure he drinks as well.
Where do you think Balotelli's next club is? Can't imagine any English club going after him. Such a talent, yet such a liability. I feel so bad for him :frown:
Reply 3005
Touching on a different topic here, but how has Pizarro been for you guys so far? In reserve as well as first-team games, if anybody knows (or just first-team - just want to know how he's been getting along, really).
Reply 3006
Original post by Isometrix
Where do you think Balotelli's next club is? Can't imagine any English club going after him. Such a talent, yet such a liability. I feel so bad for him :frown:

Tbph whilst I enjoy Balotellis off field nonsense, the stuff he gets up to on the field is completely his own fault and it will be his own fault if his career peters out. I really don't see what club is going to be able to cover his transfer fee and wages as well as put up with his nonsense.
Reply 3007
Original post by Abiraleft
Touching on a different topic here, but how has Pizarro been for you guys so far? In reserve as well as first-team games, if anybody knows (or just first-team - just want to know how he's been getting along, really).

He's generally been good. He had a poor game at Swansea but has otherwise been a breath of fresh air - in particular in the home game against Porto.

His vision is immense and he's shockingly good at making 60-yard passes. The only disappointment for me, is his lack of playing time. Given how poor we've been at times, he could - and in my opinion - should have made more appearances.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3008
Original post by Laertes
He's generally been good. He had a poor game at Swansea but has otherwise been a breath of fresh air - in particular in the home game against Porto.

His vision is immense and he's shockingly good at making 60-yard passes. The only disappointment for me, is his lack of playing time. Given how poor we've been at times, he could - and in my opinion - should have made more appearances.

Thanks. Yeah, his vision has usually been his stand-out attribute over his career, hasn't it (at Roma, anyway). What about in terms of energy/stamina? Has age caught up with him yet?
Reply 3009
Thanks. Yeah, his vision has usually been his stand-out attribute over his career, hasn't it (at Roma, anyway). What about in terms of energy/stamina? Has age caught up with him yet?

Maybe but given how he plays, it's hard to tell. He seems to get by anyway, though that's probably as much to do with his ability to read the game and anticipate events.

Pizarro is a fantastic little player. Came on against Sunderland changed the game who knows what would have happened had he come on earlier, in his first few appearances he managed to rack up something like 4 assists and a goal in 60 minutes of football. Can't really remember him doing much wrong. I really like him :dunno:

Original post by doggyfizzel
I'm not talking about those I'm talking about being caught out breaking curfew (pretty sure he does drink), throwing darts at people, fireworks. I don't care if he parks on double yellows or gives money to tramps or not.

As I said I think he does drink. He knows he will get snapped and make his manager look like a prick yet he still does it. I would expect him to show Mancini a little more respect than the other two.

Rooney gets pissed off for England and when the team isn't playing well. When was the last time he got sent off for United? He's been playing very cleanly this season, hasn't been booked at all. No point comparing Balotelli to Cantona, he not in the same league. He got 6 reds in his 5 seasons, Mario has 2 this season. When was the last time Rooney did something to cost United a game or let us down at a crucial time? Not often.

You certainly can, none of those things have anything to do with his ability.

He's not been that good. His goal scoring is really not much better than Hernandez's for United, almost exact same pitch time. How many of Balotelli's 13 goals have been penalties too. He's not some kind of goal scoring machine. And for £24m I would hope so.

Rooney played outwide for a long time in his youth. Good players will succeed, other won't. Mancini has wrapped him in cotton wool and stuck by him for too long. Balo needs to grow up.

As much as people talk it up the game after the fireworks he scored 2 at OT and pretty much paved the way for the 6-1. Similarly the darts incident, just one of those things. I just don't think it actually matters and its all the press looking for a story. I'm fairly sure he doesn't drink or smoke but I guess neither of us actually know either way.

Rooney is also a good 5 years older than Balotelli. My point is that players can do silly stuff in their early days and still learn their lesson/go on to have good careers. And red cards are more a function of reputation if you ask me. Referees actively look to send Balotelli off, conversely they will try to not send off someone like Kevin Davies. Balotelli gets sent off a lot more because he's Balotelli than anything else.

Look at when he scores the goals though. Winner against Spurs, assist against Arsenal to win the game, opening two against you plus the red card, winner against Everton, opener against Chelsea away, scored a few important CL goals too. When played centrally he affects big games in a big big way.

Please listen to my points. Balotelli is Balotelli. Say he matures and starts to consider what he's doing more. Does he play as instinctively? Does he make bold moves that win games? We don't know for sure. My whole point is we should be happy with what we have, ie a player capable of winning us big games. Because we certainly don't have another.
Original post by Mess.
Tbph whilst I enjoy Balotellis off field nonsense, the stuff he gets up to on the field is completely his own fault and it will be his own fault if his career peters out. I really don't see what club is going to be able to cover his transfer fee and wages as well as put up with his nonsense.

His transfer fee would probably get knocked down as City would want to offload him asap, but his wages would still be high. And another issue is there's not a manager out there that can control him. Even Mourinho who commands so much respect and instills a lot of discipline into his players had problems.

I think he should move to another league, somewhere quieter than England, and start afresh. Maybe the new generation billionaire clubs like PSG or Anzhi will look into him.
We'll regret selling him if we do. The idea of him playing in anywhere that isn't England, Germany or Spain is ridic too.

If I were him and could go anywhere I would choose Liverpool. Would be given the central goal scoring role and would thrive on chance after chance, little expectation after the last few strikers but importantly their fans and manager are very loyal and would back him to the hilt. Genuinely feel he'd hit 20-30 league goals and we'd see Liverpool back where they belong. Suarez behind Balotelli would be unreal.
Mancini's man management, or lack of it, is coming to the fore now - mishandled Silva, who has been lacking for a few months. His talk in the press about Balo, was that supposed to calm the lad down? He hasn't got the best out of Nasri, constantly playing him on the wing when he could've come in for Silva and thus giving him some rest.
If I were him and could go anywhere I would choose Liverpool. Would be given the central goal scoring role and would thrive on chance after chance, little expectation after the last few strikers but importantly their fans and manager are very loyal and would back him to the hilt. Genuinely feel he'd hit 20-30 league goals and we'd see Liverpool back where they belong. Suarez behind Balotelli would be unreal.

Possibly the first post of yours that I have ever agreed with. Maybe I'm just tired...
Reply 3015
Original post by Welsh Leprecaun
Possibly the first post of yours that I have ever agreed with. Maybe I'm just tired...

Mainly because it's his first post in ages that actually has some logic to it.
I don't think Mario is the issue. Mancini has shown he can't get tactics right and has poor man management skills. The team is lacking in motivation and unity and the buck stops with the manager on this. It would be rash to sack him but I'd rather have Mario and Tevez stay and Mancini leave if it came to that choice. They are two great players who despite the controversy do want to stay at City but perhaps its Mancini they dislike and not the club? We shall see.
On the topic of Pizarro, I watched him play for AS Roma for years, as I'm a Roma fan. At the beginning of this year, I nearly forgot he was on the team because Roma's new manager Luis Enrique never even used him. Today's game was pretty poor for City, but two players still managed to do well: Kompany and Pizarro.

Pizarro's not as mobile as he once was, but his passing and vision are great. He can hold up play quite well for a little man, and he gets fouled a lot. Just take a look at the fouls suffered stat over the years. When City managed to keep possession for a stretch, Pizarro was involved with every other pass. What he lacks in pace he makes up for in work ethic... something you can't say about many current City players. Creative dribbler, intelligent passer--damn I miss his days with Roma. :sad:

'Round the time of the transfer deadline, many English fans thought it was one of the poorest transfers. Those of us who follow the Italian league knew that it was one of the best because playmakers, like goalkeepers, age like Chilean wine.

City would be wise to sign him for another year for chump change, provided they still have title ambitions next year.
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
I don't think Mario is the issue. Mancini has shown he can't get tactics right and has poor man management skills. The team is lacking in motivation and unity and the buck stops with the manager on this. It would be rash to sack him but I'd rather have Mario and Tevez stay and Mancini leave if it came to that choice. They are two great players who despite the controversy do want to stay at City but perhaps its Mancini they dislike and not the club? We shall see.

I agree, with the right manager, balotelli can become a class player. He is a hothead, but so are loads of people, tevez has never refused to play for united or west ham either. He may be a money grabber, but he gives it his all when he can play. You just have to look at the treatment of adebayor and robinho to show his poor man management skills.

I have been saying this all season. You don't go to say that someone is only at the club because he is a money grabber, that's unprofessional.
Original post by jam277
I agree, with the right manager, balotelli can become a class player. He is a hothead, but so are loads of people, tevez has never refused to play for united or west ham either. He may be a money grabber, but he gives it his all when he can play. You just have to look at the treatment of adebayor and robinho to show his poor man management skills.

I have been saying this all season. You don't go to say that someone is only at the club because he is a money grabber, that's unprofessional.

Balotelli already is a class player it's just that he needs to mature a bit personality wise but it doesn't help if the person mentoring him can't be bothered to have a bit of patience and has to act so unprofessionally as to publicly slag him off and suggest selling him just because he's a little much to handle.

Ultimately we were all jumping down Tevez's throat yet we never stopped to consider what the underlying issue was and as much as I hate to say I don't think the players are or have ever been the issue; it's the manager.

If anything it hasn't been a great season off the pitch with the player rifts, inept management, Gary Cook scandal etc.

On the pitch I can't say it's been much better. Ok I accept we're going to finish 2nd which is an improvement from last season and this year we've genuinely challenged for the title. However we fell completely by the wayside in the remaining third of the season and not to mention completely flunked in all the cups. It was embarassing to get knocked out of the Champions League at the group stage and regardless of the strength of the group, City had enough quality to at least finish second. Then there's the Europa League. Sporting Lisbon are now two games away from the final and had City taken them a little bit more seriously that may well have been City in the semis now. The Europa League would have been a more than worthy consolation still being a European trophy despite it's somewhat abject prestige here and there.

The FA Cup....too much hype about how they were going to "end" United's season and it bit them in the bum. Carling Cup was even more disappointing when you look at how rubbish Liverpool have been this season in the league. City had opportunities to close at the game at Anfield but again cockiness and arrogance set in and they allowed quite possibly the worst Liverpool team in 20 years to win a trophy. Congrats to them but if they do go onto win the FA Cup and consolidate a miserable position in the league, well it just says it all doesn't it?

But anyways City have spectacularly failed this season in the respect that they haven't been able to cope with playing in so many cups and closing out games when they're in control etc. But I think it's a more a case of Mancini not being able to handle the pressure than anything.

I mean last season, top 4 wasn't a given and finishing 3rd (level on points with Chelsea) was flattering. In the FA Cup we needed to replay at least 2 games I recall (Notts County and Leicester) en-route to the final.

As I said I would feel for Mancini if he got sacked. Having won the club their first trophy in 35 years he deserves a job for life within the City setup. I don't see any point in asking him to leave unless Jose Mourinhio or Pep Guardiola are keen on the job. The latter unlikely and I'm unsure of how he'd cope in the Prem. Jose possibly.

But I stand by what I said, I'd rather Mancini left than lose Balotelli and Tevez who when on form are amongst the best strikers out there. Perhaps we need someone better equipped to deal with them? Mourinhio clearly was keen to handle Tevez hence Real Madrid were linked with him but he's had beef with Balotelli so that may be a problem?

Quick Reply

Latest