The Student Room Group

The Manchester City Society II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
When you sign Craig Bellamy you kind of have to accept that he's not going to leave in a quiet and dignified manner.
Yep. I still like him too, great player. It's a shame he's so hard to get on with.
Reply 162
Jeppasloth
I've come to the conclusion people are just winding us up. Panthalic has a fair point although I don't agree with it.

10 match ban when he got the ball?

The tackle itself is fine, it's actually a pretty good one, but why did he feel the need to follow through with the right leg into Ben Arfa? Why is there that scissoring action, especially with that amount of force? He's unlucky in that it did the amount of damage that it did, but he's clearly trying to take ball and man and when you do that with that amount of force, anything can happen.

The Holden challenge is worse though, you even said yourself:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24077307&postcount=4167
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayEt24YOF5I

Watch the tackle and you'll see how it differs from Van Persie's which was mainly because his studs got stuck in the turf iirc.

Here you go. Before you start I'm not defending him in any way, if the roles were reversed I'd be furious.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24077307&postcount=4167
It was a bad tackle and he deserved the ban, so should De Jong, as should Gallas.

You know that's an appalling challenge, yet just months later he's done it again. At what point does he learn? What does he have to do before it becomes too much? De Jong is a cracking player, but this side of his game doesn't belong in a professional sport.
Panthalic
The tackle itself is fine, it's actually a pretty good one, but why did he feel the need to follow through with the right leg into Ben Arfa? Why is there that scissoring action, especially with that amount of force? He's unlucky in that it did the amount of damage that it did, but he's clearly trying to take ball and man and when you do that with that amount of force, anything can happen.

The Holden challenge is worse though, you even said yourself:

You know that's an appalling challenge, yet just months later he's done it again. At what point does he learn? What does he have to do before it becomes too much? De Jong is a cracking player, but this side of his game doesn't belong in a professional sport.

'cracking' player - that he most certainly is, literally. Bone-crackingly so. He's a disgusting player/human being.
Jeppasloth
He is a good tackler, no doubt there. Possibly a dangerous player although personally I put it more down to bad luck that he's broke 2 legs, then again I'm obviously biased but you're less informed equally. We obviously have different footballing values, but even 10 years ago no-one would've blinked at that challenge. Christ even at the game itself it was fine, I was sat by the Newcastle fans and they barely made a noise (Wrt to that, very loud otherwise).

Not sure there's much point arguing because we'll just go round in circles.

"...I'm obviously biased...". Says it all really.

It isn't bad luck, it's sheer (and very dangerous) recklessness. People would have blinked at that challenge 10 years ago. Perhaps not 20+ years ago...

So because the Newcastle fans made no noise, it makes the challenge OK? Great logic there, Einstein :rolleyes: Perhaps it's because the incident happened in the blink of an eye, they were far away from where the incident on the field of play took place. Whatever. This is all academic. The challenge was reckless, highly dangerous and led to a double leg break.

Funny, (or should I say sad?), that you're continuing to defend the indefensible.
Reply 165
The point is the only problem people have with the challenge is his leg was broken, it was a freak accident. I bet there was another 5 tackles like that in the PL this weekend alone. The Holden and Alonso ones were bad tackles, this was just unlucky.

Just found this too;

2010/2011 season

Yellow cards: 2 (the same, or less, than 60 other players)
Red Cards: 0
Fouls: 13 (the same, or less, than 20 other players)

2009/2010 season

Yellow Cards: 7 (the same, or less, than 49 others, at a rate of less than one every five games)
Red Cards: 0 (unlike 63 others)
Fouls: 42 (the same, or less, than 47 others, approx one foul per game)
(edited 13 years ago)
Anyone doing Lech Poznan away?
Reply 167
Your first post in 18 months, I wish I could say yes to it. But no I'm not :frown: Dublin's the one :wink:
Wythenshawe
Anyone doing Lech Poznan away?

I wish :frown:
Reply 169

Sure you'll get a warm welcome.
I lol'd. Linky.

I also did this: :facepalm2:
Kevmeister
I lol'd. Linky.

I also did this: :facepalm2:

I'm getting really sick of this anti-De Jong media campaign. I was sat right behind Ben Arfa when the tackle happened, and nobody in the stadium thought it was a bad tackle- including the officials, players, management whatever. Having looked backed at the replay now, I still don't think it's a bad tackle, it's just extremely unfortunate that Ben Afra has had his leg broken.

If you go in half-heartedly, you are more likely to get hurt. Simple as.
Reply 172
It's not about the tackle for me, it's the fact we've lost our best player and that could condemn us to the championship again
Reply 173
Its unfortunate Viny but it happens :frown:
Jeppasloth
Its unfortunate Viny but it happens :frown:

especially with De Jong around.
Reply 175
V1NY
It's not about the tackle for me, it's the fact we've lost our best player and that could condemn us to the championship again

you wont be relegated ffs.
Reply 176
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spj7AdiJQKg

In one game Rooney manages more bad tackles than De Jong's entire City career.
Reply 177
Jeppasloth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spj7AdiJQKg

In one game Rooney manages more bad tackles than De Jong's entire City career.

Tbf to Rooney he has cut down on that side of his game when you compare it to some of his earlier stuff, though on the odd occasion even now he does lash out which I would like to see less of. I just find it rather sad that you seem to be coming up with one ridiculous defence of De Jong's reckless tackling after another instead of acknowledging that he does need to cut out that sort of stuff (and before you say it was unfortunate and a one-off, remember the WC final karate kick).
Reply 178
How the **** is it a ridiculous defence, with Holland he's done a few bad tackles, but I honestly don't remember a single bad tackle he's done in a City shirt. Tackling is a huge part of football and it'll be a sad day it's outlawed.
It's already a sad day as we have thugs going around breaking bones without sufficient punishment

Quick Reply

Latest