The Student Room Group

Why does it seem that mostly insecure people become goths?

I mean no offence to anyone here. I mean being a goth is a way of like and there's more to it than wear black etc. I don't want to believe that people use it as an easy way to "fit in" rather than just being themselves.

Again I mean no offence to anyone. It's merely an observation.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pointless generalisation.
I love your grammar thing on the spolier button thingy its well good
although you didnt cover the whole to too two thing I am aware I am off topic but oh and well
Reply 3
Doesn't everybody do something in order to fit in with a group?

It's not just the goths.
Reply 4
It's been said that teenagers are so cliquey because they want to belong. Maybe insecure people believe they'll have a better chance finding that sense of belonging within goth (we're less picky, I suppose)?

Although this is a big generalisation and the few other goths I used to know (before they all went off to uni) were the exact opposite of insecure and none of them were in the least bit chubby. I find that the majority of insecure people head to emo instead.
I know it's not just goths it's in every subculture. I'm simply talking about goths in general. But people are free to talk about other subcultures if it suits them.
Accalia
It's been said that teenagers are so cliquey because they want to belong. Maybe insecure people believe they'll have a better chance finding that sense of belonging within goth (we're less picky, I suppose)?

Although this is a big generalisation and the few other goths I used to know (before they all went off to uni) were the exact opposite of insecure and none of them were in the least bit chubby. I find that the majority of insecure people head to emo instead.

I don't mean to generalise at all so I think I wrote my opening paragraph incorrectly.
Reply 7
All of the 'goth' (not the so hated, 'poser', 'emo', whatever you call types though I guess - real goths or something) people I've known and know are anything but insecure.
Difference scares people. This is why people dislike goths. Goths most likely have the confidence to do as they do, not fold in like a small-penised insecure person. At least in that sense, I respect them. :yep:
Reply 9
Asiko
I don't mean to generalise at all so I think I wrote my opening paragraph incorrectly.

:eek:
I really didn't mean for my post to be interpreted as angry/irritated. Just mildly amused. I've come to believe (through experience as well as observation) that goths need a lot of confidence to be... well, goths.
I pity them and their sad ways. I can't stand it when they go off into some long tirade about 'Oh this is so mainstream, look at me I'm so different, nobody is on the same wavelength as me, I'm a lone wolf'. Why do they think they're so bloody unique and special? :rolleyes:
They wear cool clothing :O me and alot of my uni friends apparently had a goth phase once...we're anything but insecure..on the contrary i think they have the confidence to pull of strong fashion like that.
Reply 12
If they want to dress like that then let them. At least they try to be different from others. If the world was all the same, how boring would that be?
Goths don't have to be sad. I'm not sad or anything. I am merely myself.

I'll give an example. When I was in secondary school a let's say a year ago when I was in year 10 or 11 there were a bunch of punk/emo kids. And then there were a few I noticed who joined their group and the next week I saw them with wristbands and coming to school with an unbuttoned checked shirt over their uniform. They weren't themselves because they changed to be in their group. It's different if they changed at some point earlier then joined the group because being a teenager is about discovering who you want to be. But they didn't and so they technically makes them posers.
Mostly it's just a phase people go through.
This thread reminds me of the "Gothopotomus" picture:

Spoiler

Lol
Reply 15
They generally do not feel a sense of belonging or people to relate to so by becoming a goth they can feel part of something and that they are goths and not just abnormal.
Reply 16
Its_Miller_Time
Mostly it's just a phase people go through.
This thread reminds me of the "Gothopotomus" picture:

Spoiler

Lol

Love that picture :biggrin:

I find it funny how goths try and be 'different' by copying yet another social trend, just one that looks more desperate and monotonous than the rest.

I've met insecure goths, I've met goths who weren't insecure. It's just a fashion choice they have.
James4d
Love that picture :biggrin:

I find it funny how goths try and be 'different' by copying yet another social trend, just one that looks more desperate and monotonous than the rest.

I see what you mean, but everyone is like that. They all try and be different but end up copying their friends or someone on tv by dressing like that.

I've met insecure goths, I've met goths who weren't insecure. It's just a fashion choice they have.

True
Reply 18
It's funny how they like to go on about how non-mainstream and 'different' they are when they are just following a trend themselves.

I don't think they're insecure, although some are.
I've know secure and insecure goths. And I don't particularly think they're trying to fit in - quite the opposite actually.

If I'm being completely honest I do quite like identifying myself as part of the creative class - which is just an adult version of a teenage subculture except its about pseudo-intellectualism, watching foreign films and being disdainful towards people with boring but better paid jobs than me.

Latest

Trending

Trending