The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Obviously not every goth is insecure, but presumably it's because it's easier to think "oh, everyone hates me/doesn't notice me because I'm a goth" than "people don't like me because of my personality". It's a way of making yourself an outcast before other people do. :smile:
Reply 21
Its_Miller_Time
I see what you mean, but everyone is like that. They all try and be different but end up copying their friends or someone on tv by dressing like that.

True, the difference is we're not the ones accusing others of being monotonous. The cliché "non-conformist" goths are trying to differ away from the 'norm' (which, tbh, has a fair amount of variety), and all they're doing is conforming to another group and becoming yet another number.
James4d
True, the difference is we're not the ones accusing others of being monotonous. The cliché "non-conformist" goths are trying to differ away from the 'norm' (which, tbh, has a fair amount of variety), and all they're doing is conforming to another group and becoming yet another number.

This is true.
Gandalf_is_a_girl
I pity them and their sad ways. I can't stand it when they go off into some long tirade about 'Oh this is so mainstream, look at me I'm so different, nobody is on the same wavelength as me, I'm a lone wolf'. Why do they think they're so bloody unique and special? :rolleyes:

Tefhel
It's funny how they like to go on about how non-mainstream and 'different' they are when they are just following a trend themselves.

See, this seems to be the first thing most people bring up (that or they just cut straight to the insults), none of the goths I've met have ever gone on about being non conformists, it's always seemed to be pretty much purely a fashion choice.

*thanks Jesus for blessing me with friends from all walks of life, thus preventing me from becoming a judgmental *****
I've known some goths and mostly they're not insecure or overly self-conscious etc. One was completely messed up in the head but we don't talk these days. Other than that, they're fine.
Reply 25
concubine
See, this seems to be the first thing most people bring up (that or they just cut straight to the insults), none of the goths I've met have ever gone on about being non conformists, it's always seemed to be pretty much purely a fashion choice.

*thanks Jesus for blessing me with friends from all walks of life, thus preventing me from becoming a judgmental *****

The ones I know definitely do. They won't stop banging on about how terrible [insert popular thing] is, and how other people are "sheeple".
concubine

I don't mind difference as such. I just hate it when they rub their variety in my face but then, that's probably down to the Goths I've met personally.
Reply 27
I barely see any 'Goths' these days, and the ones I do see are always on their own. I'd like to think any physical effort to look a certain way in order to associate with a certain group could be interpreted as insecurity. If you think you have to look a certain way and haven't considered that you, as a person, are good enough to be part of a group of people as your true self (showing values beyond that of base appearance), then this shows signs of insecurity. A lack of self-esteem.

Personally, I think the most insecure people are often the most unnecessarily loud ones, the ones who are beyond arrogant, over-aggressive with the need to prove something to their peers. Goths are generally quite conservative in their behaviour; they don't need to prove anything to anyone, and as such they are secure in who they are, even if it ascertains to a fixed identity.

Latest

Trending

Trending