The Student Room Group

Is taking maths, chem, bio & physics bad?

I'm currently taking these subjects. I like science but I have no idea what I want to do when I'm older :frown:

I've heard that taking these 4 AS levels is looked down on by universities because it shows that you can only do science and your subjects aren't varied enough o_e

Should I swap biology for english literature? Also i was KIND of considering medicine.. could I go into medicine without biology?
Oh goddd please help me =_=

Is taking these 4 subjects narrowing my options for the future, even if I got A* in all of them?
ty :[
Reply 1
No, its not bad..If you are interested in doing science/medicine at university then it won't be looked down on. And i know you need chemistry but i also think you should have biology aswell, it doesn't make sense not having it tbh. Im doing biology, maths and english literature and eng lit is hard! biology is really interestingg!
Seems a fair combination to me. Apart from languages you should have a fair shot at most subjects. Most humanities don't have prerequisite subjects, unlike sciences, except for some unis that want History A level for their historical programmes or English for their programmes. :h:
Probably want to keep Biology and Chemistry though, if you're thinking of Medicine
I did maths, english lit, chemistry and physics. The only reason that I didn't do all the three sciences was that I wasn't too fond of biology. Choosing a non-science subject does show variation but I'm sure you won't get rejected for doing 3 sciences and a maths.

So what ever you feel most comfortable doing, doing it. :smile:
Reply 4
It's fine. I do it :smile:
No, they're fine.
Reply 6
pinkstormtrooper
I'm currently taking these subjects. I like science but I have no idea what I want to do when I'm older :frown:

I've heard that taking these 4 AS levels is looked down on by universities because it shows that you can only do science and your subjects aren't varied enough o_e

Should I swap biology for english literature? Also i was KIND of considering medicine.. could I go into medicine without biology?

Is taking these 4 subjects narrowing my options for the future, even if I got A* in all of them?

NO that's a well good choice! That's what I wish I'd done, but I took english and sociology instead, and hated them :frown:
Reply 7
pinkstormtrooper

Bio, Chem, Maths, Physics is a perfectly fine combination.

If you want to do medicine, why would you switch Biology for English Literature? :s-smilie:
If you want to do medicine, why would you switch Biology for English Literature?
--------------

because I'm considering medicine.. I'm not def doing it :frown:
I think I'd be good at medicine, I would like to study it.. but there are so amny other options aswell >->
I want to do something exciting and help others.. I don't even know what I want to do, and thats why I'm having problems choosing my AS Levels >-<
x
Reply 9
CoffeeStinks
I did maths, english lit, chemistry and physics. The only reason that I didn't do all the three sciences was that I wasn't too fond of biology. Choosing a non-science subject does show variation but I'm sure you won't get rejected for doing 3 sciences and a maths.

So what ever you feel most comfortable doing, doing it. :smile:

I did the same, too bad I don't actually like my science subjects :frown:.
I advise you to work your butt of from day ONE.

Loads of people at my sixth form picked the same A Levels (smart kids) and ended up failing at least one subject. Not saying you will, but vary the work load between all your subjects equally.

Best of luck!!!

Oh, and no, picking 3 science based subjects is perfectly fine, if your truly interested in science then theres not much of an issue.

:smile:
Reply 11
That is exactly the same predicament i was in this time last year!
i took maths, chem, bio and physics in the end and it turned out i liked biology the most, even though i didn't like it so much at GCSE. So i'm glad i chose bio instead of eng lit.
As long as you can cope with doing all academic stuff then you should be fine and tbh biology is probably abit easier to get a good grade than eng lit. especially because there's so much overlap between biology with chem and maths
I wanted to do medicine, but i changed my mind and now i want to do biomedical science and for that you need biology, so i definitely think i chose the right option! If you want to do anything sciency, you could be limited by not having biology.
why would universities look down on your science subjects? When their founding fathers were avid scientists?

Latest