The Student Room Group

What to do?

Hi, i'd really like some advice.

The course i want to do is psychology and cognitive neuroscience, hopefully at nottingham.
For that i need AAA.

I've just started year 13 which means i've just got my AS results back.
Biology - B
Chemistry - B
Maths with Statistics - B
German - A

Part of me is disappointed with these, I've never had below an A and they aren't good enough for what i want.
However, last year was really tough, i was diagnosed with quite severe depression and i did no work and absolutely no revision so of course i'm also hugely relieved.

My main problem is this year. My personal situation hasn't improved yet, and i've found my first day unbearable.

So - do i need to keep maths on? This is the one i would drop.
Or should i carry them all on and try harder?
Just any help would be hugely appreciated.
I'm in a really hard place right now - if i'm not enjoying sixth form will i enjoy uni? If i hate my subjects apart from german will i hate the course?
Is it all just down to my mood that i'm wondering??
Thanks for reading my mammoth post!
Sorry!
Reply 1
carry on with them all and try harder! maybe do retakes in one module per subject maximum with the lowest marks in January?
oh and if it gets too much, you can always drop Maths along the way
you will enjoy uni, hopefully
people are different and from so many different places, its hard not to enjoy it!
you should try to enjoy what you are studying, cheer up & count your blessings, not your problems!
all the best & feel better!
x
Reply 2
RebeccaRebecca
Hi, i'd really like some advice.

The course i want to do is psychology and cognitive neuroscience, hopefully at nottingham.
For that i need AAA.

I've just started year 13 which means i've just got my AS results back.
Biology - B
Chemistry - B
Maths with Statistics - B
German - A

Part of me is disappointed with these, I've never had below an A and they aren't good enough for what i want.
However, last year was really tough, i was diagnosed with quite severe depression and i did no work and absolutely no revision so of course i'm also hugely relieved.

My main problem is this year. My personal situation hasn't improved yet, and i've found my first day unbearable.

So - do i need to keep maths on? This is the one i would drop.
Or should i carry them all on and try harder?
Just any help would be hugely appreciated.
I'm in a really hard place right now - if i'm not enjoying sixth form will i enjoy uni? If i hate my subjects apart from german will i hate the course?
Is it all just down to my mood that i'm wondering??
Thanks for reading my mammoth post!
Sorry!

Ok, first of all, PCN at Nottingham only asks for ABB, not AAA and the standard offer for straight psych there is AAB.

You don't need to do 4 subjects at A level no (and not everywhere will let you anyway) so if you're hating them and think you'll do better with 3, then maybe you'd be better off dropping one. You don't need maths at A level to do psychology, even though stats is part of the course. Lots of places ask for at least one science, but you already have bio and chem so dropping maths shouldn't be a problem. Lots of people won't have done it at all. I also did maths and dropped it at AS and got all my offers for psych, including PCN at Notts. If you carry on with maths for now and decide to drop it later after you've applied for uni, remember you'll need to inform the places you've applied to.

Psych at uni will be nothing like the A levels you're doing now so hating them doesn't mean you'll hate the course. Have a good look at the modules and course details for psychology and read around the subject - books, magazines, blogs etc - to get a better idea of whether or not you'll enjoy it.

At uni, everything will be different - the people, your environment, living situation (assuming you move out), teaching methods, course etc. Could be better, could be worse, but you have the opportunity for a fresh start. If you don't like academia in general, then it's probably not a good idea, but as you said you've never had below an A in the past, I'm assuming that's not the case and you're just going through a difficult time? I hope things work out for you. Good luck.

Latest