The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'llrunawaywithu
Would you rape people if it was made legal? Serious question.

Stop trolling.
Reply 61
i will NEVER give money to ANY form of charity as long as celebrities/sportsmen/politicians etc are paid ridiculous amounts of money
Bonged.
Why only give to pakistan?

The OP is obviously from Pakistan.
Reply 63
I'llrunawaywithu
Thanks for the honest response. Would you rape people if it was made legal? Serious question.

nah. good question though. relevant to the point. well done
Reply 64
Yes, why don't I just give up all my money and worldly possessions to help people I will never meet half way across the globe, who happen to have a government capable of looking after them.

Besides every person in the country that pays tax has already donated via government aid.
jammythedodger
Not only is it normal, if you do not put yourself "first", you will die...
As in, if you were to feed all the people in your town that our homeless and cant afford to eat before you, you will literally have no money for food and you will die... eventually.

Why is this "double standards"?

At what bit does "fairness" come into "sharing"?

But yes, we should all give some money to Pakistan. To give everything you possibly can actually says that Pakistan is the only place on earth which requires your money... which is not the case.

I didn't mean to the point of starvation; I don't even mean to the point where it seriously damages your life. I just mean "how is it acceptable to have a TV when it could save someone's life" or something like that. I do know other people need help and I did address that point.

What I mean is "everything you can spare whilst still living a good life". Sorry for the confusion.
Reply 66
Aid is Vital for Pakistan but what

will help even more is if the EU signs a trade agreement
Bonged.
Lol.

There's plenty of people suffering all over the world. Africa.

Yep, valid question. I've answered that twice now.
I'llrunawaywithu
Is this a serious response? We should stop helping people because there will always be more people to help?

There are always more people to help purely because we are helping people. When an animal population in nature becomes too large for the resources around, the numbers dwindle until the population is sustainable and from then on the animals are happy. Because we are propping up large populations in areas where resources are too scarce to sustain them we have to continue to do so indefinitely, as the population is dependent on us. But because we only provide just enough to keep people alive in these places long enough to have kids then this large population we are propping up is always going to be in a state of perpetual suffering.

That applies mainly to desertifying areas in Africa and the like, but the principle is the same with Pakistan. A successful relief operation just means more people continuing to live on flood plains and having babies, and so an increasing population living with the certainty of experiencing a devastating disaster during their lifetime.
Deadly Lightshade
Money is only useful if it realises certain aims in actuality. Just because you give more money doesn't mean that you'll be able to create a sustainable future for Pakistanis. These things take time, not emotional knee-jerk charity.

yeah sure but the gathered money donated by individuals amounts to a helpful sum, this is how charity works

that said, i haven't donated and don't plan on donating
Reply 70
Perhaps you should be asking the Pakistani cricketers, who were found to have huge wads of cash in their hotel rooms, whether they were doing everything possible and giving everything possible?
Empire08
Yes, why don't I just give up all my money and worldly possessions to help people I will never meet half way across the globe, who happen to have a government capable of looking after them.

Besides every person in the country that pays tax has already donated via government aid.

I think I've made my point and I accept that this is your point of view. It is one that I find absolutely chilling though.
Reply 72
Bonged.
Lol.

There's plenty of people suffering all over the world. Africa.

Because Pakistan is where the current **** is going down

Africa has some very poor people but they are not facing imminent dangers that they can be saved from e.g water borne diseases
Reply 73
Call me what you like.. but a week before the floods, this was plastered all over the new -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf2xkvLB24I

That offends me, and that is why I haven't donated any money.
Reply 74
I'llrunawaywithu
Yep, valid question. I've answered that twice now.

Are you of pakistani descent?
Reply 75
hmm i was going to give money, really was so close to donating, but the next day my aunt completely put me off it.
You want the honest truth? It doesn't affect me in the slightest and as such I don't care. At all.

That's life, it's the same reason most people only donate when disaster strikes, because they're forced to watch the images, normally they know that <insert number of people> die every day from AIDS or etc but since they can't see it and it doesn't affect them they don't bother.

Think about Rwanda, nobody really gave a ****, because nobody saw, but afterwards when the images flooded in 'Oh no how could we have let it happen.'

It might be cold an callous, but like I said, I don't care.
Reply 77
stew1988
Call me what you like.. but a week before the floods, this was plastered all over the new -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf2xkvLB24I

That offends me, and that is why I haven't donated any money.

Are you kidding me?

Sod "Dave".
I'llrunawaywithu
I take your point. My post wasn't meant to undermine the others' poverty. I thought it would be more relevant and immediate to deal with the most widescale problem at the moment to make my point. Somewhere that is quite literally:

We give money --> people live; we keep money to ourselves--->people die.

As opposed to structural problems in the economy etc. I know, I know there are probably numerous other crises that are just as desperate but I hope you know why I meant Pakistan in particular. :smile:

i do :smile:

i think that although money is needed as a short term solution, in the long term, it's education and business that need to be funded. on a large scale, quality of education is negatively correlated with religious violence, poverty, abuse towards women etc...

which makes sense. but yeah, money is needed in the long term. i guess humans are just programmed to keep as much as they can. a caveman who gave away his dinner wouldn't last very long.

ok, that's a rubbish analogy, we're not cavemen :p:

i just don't know really... i wish someone did!

ramble over :biggrin:
Reply 79
I bet its a dupe account.

Where they not warned before the flood came?

Latest

Trending

Trending