The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
clementinemary
I've got a fairly decent PS worked out but I need a few more drafts I think. I have some-I worked at polling stations at the election and for the labour party doing door to door stuff, helped young kids with problems reading with basic literacy and I went to a pretty prestigious drama school every saturday for 3 years. I also read a lot of articles and follow stories that relate to issues covered by my course such as dealing with young offenders and the welfare state. I've also spoken to people to gain some second hand experience of social work, care work and medical ethics.

I'm sure you've been told this, but get your parents and teachers to read it.
NAJC
I have 4 A*s (and 3 As) at GCSE and managed to get offers from Bristol and Southampton. I did get rejected from Warwick but they are regarded as a top 5 uni for Economics. What is probably just as important as the quantity of A*s is what subjects they are in, so core subjects and those relevent to your potential degree will be given priority. On a side note, I was predicted to exceed all of said universities' offers though mind.

I only got 2 A*s, but 4 As and got into Warwick. but rejected from Bristol.

just from this thread can see how little GCSEs matter compared to many other things, and how different, different people's experiences have been. no-one can guarantee you'll get a place, it depends on your whole application
I got A*ABBCDUUU for my GCSE's

I got 5 offers from RG universities :smile:
Reply 43
clementinemary
I've posted several threads here asking questions about the GCSE requirements for certain unis/courses but unfortunately here is another one.

1)I've been told pretty much all Russell Group unis would like at least 5A*/A at GCSE, regardless of course and requirements but this could be just rumour. Does anyone have any concrete information on this mysterious 5A/A* standard.
Also, how strict are Birmingham and LSE on GCSES? I'm predicted above the A-level requirements for the course I want to apply for (which leads me on to my second question) but do not have great GCSEs.

2)My first choice uni and course (Birmingham, Social Policy) only requires BC with one extra as at B or BBC with no extra as whereas I'm predicted A*AB (or maybe an A, depending on how nice my classic teacher is and I was only 4 marks off...anyway :tongue:) with an addition as at grade B with another one in critical thinking on the way. Is it possible for a uni to reject me if I'm quite far above what they are asking and it may look like I've just picked them for an insurance? Also along with personal statement/reference/interveiw going well could there be any chance of an unconditional offer?

Thank you :biggrin:

well i got an offer from brum with just four As so i dont think its true.
clementinemary
I've posted several threads here asking questions about the GCSE requirements for certain unis/courses but unfortunately here is another one.

1)I've been told pretty much all Russell Group unis would like at least 5A*/A at GCSE, regardless of course and requirements but this could be just rumour. Does anyone have any concrete information on this mysterious 5A/A* standard.
Also, how strict are Birmingham and LSE on GCSES? I'm predicted above the A-level requirements for the course I want to apply for (which leads me on to my second question) but do not have great GCSEs.

2)My first choice uni and course (Birmingham, Social Policy) only requires BC with one extra as at B or BBC with no extra as whereas I'm predicted A*AB (or maybe an A, depending on how nice my classic teacher is and I was only 4 marks off...anyway :tongue:) with an addition as at grade B with another one in critical thinking on the way. Is it possible for a uni to reject me if I'm quite far above what they are asking and it may look like I've just picked them for an insurance? Also along with personal statement/reference/interveiw going well could there be any chance of an unconditional offer?

Thank you :biggrin:

I got 5 A's, 6 B's and 2 C's at GCSE, so no A*'s at all and I got into Birmingham to do Geography. Birmingham is a russell group university, albiet not the best one, but still so no you don't need 5 A*'s at GCSE. Medicine is the only course to which this may apply.
Reply 45
If you liked Birmingham (I did when I went there aswell) and the Social Policy course, have a look at Leeds. Similar uni except a bit less of a campus. Similar requirements so you can hedge your bets.

And although it isn't my field, I sat in to a friends open day meeting about social policy and it looked very interesting. Neither should reject you because of GCSE results because it is evident you have progressed throughout A levels and many people develop academically at different times to others.

Good luck anyway (I would say however that LSE seems to be a bit GCSE obsessed so possibly wouldnt apply there).
i got into the LSE - social policy with governemnt with 5A, 6B @ GCSE, but did have AAAAC at AS level at the time of applying
Reply 47
I got no A*'s or A's got all B's and a C and am attending a Russel Group University in a few weeks. - I worked hard to be predicted AAB, and had a really good personal statement!
Reply 48
the666thmessiah
I got A*ABBCDUUU for my GCSE's

I got 5 offers from RG universities :smile:

That's pretty impressive:yep: What course and uni?
Reply 49
clementinemary
Birmingham medical school though, not the standard university of Birmingham?
I just looked at LSE the website and it says 4A* minimum, with 6A* desired. Nope, I have no A* at GCSE (AAAABBCCDE were my GCSES) so it seems LSE will not be happening, despite the fact I'm predicted an A* at Alevel when the course demands BBB.

Okay, thank you for the unconditional offer advice as I'd heard different things.
I really hope it's a rumour and I'm sure it's made worse by the fact I'm going to be an early applicant :/ Do you think mentioning Birmingham in my personal statement will help? (I do definitely want to go there)

Birmingham Medical School is part of the University of Birmingham. LSE is probably a long shot, but you have 5 choices, right? I don't think it will help, to be honest; although, I'm not 100% sure. What course do you want to apply for?
Junaid16
That's pretty impressive:yep: What course and uni?

I applied to UCL, KCL, Manchester, Leeds, and Nottingham for Neuroscience.
Reply 51
the666thmessiah
I applied to UCL, KCL, Manchester, Leeds, and Nottingham for Neuroscience.

Sorry, but i have to 'WOW' that's impressive again :yep: I thought you were going to name the 'lesser' members. How did you manage to pull that off, because i recieved similar results, and am slightly worried about my prospects.
Junaid16
Sorry, but i have to 'WOW' that's impressive again :yep: I thought you were going to name the 'lesser' members. How did you manage to pull that off, because i recieved similar results, and am slightly worried about my prospects.

I think it was a combination of a great personal statement, a good reference, and consistancy in my AS level results (was predicted AABB for A2 and got ABBB at AS.. wasnt some stupidly ambitious predictions like you sometimes see)
For UCL I think it was good performance in the interveiw aswell
Reply 53
I had awful GCSEs but I have AAB as my final A level grades. What are the chances of me getting unconditional offers from university require AABs?
I got into Nottingham to study Politics with BBBCCCCDDEU at GCSE. If you don't ask, you don't get!
Reply 55
Russell Howard is pretty funny!
i know someone who got into LSE this year with 2A* 6As 2Bs and 2Cs and A*AB at A level who is doing sociology.

Medicine at Bham is 8A*s +. Most other unis don't care about GCSEs, AS and A2 levels are much more important.
Original post by AshDonson
I got A*AAAAABBC at GCSE and got conditionals from 4 RG unis, one of which was Birmingham. I doubt the number of A* you have would matter to them.

If your predicted grades are far above what they usually offer then I expect you would be given a conditional - not a rejection. Unis want the best they can get.

Thank you!
Reply 58
Original post by nell_sumners
Thank you!

This is a 2010 thread :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile