The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I would email one of the lecturers...just to be 100% sure :smile:
Reply 2
Don't know if this helps, but arterial pulse pressure (i.e. the femoral pulse quality) is the difference between the arterial systolic and diastolic pressures.
EquusSomnium
When you take the femoral pulse of a dog what are you feeling? i.e. atrial/ventricular systole/diastole.

Systolic blood pressure or the femoral artery? Contraction of the heart walls during systole causes an increase in arterial pressure. In diastole the heart is relaxed and filling so you shouldn't be able to feel anything.

When taking the pulse of other species, e.g. cow tail vein, are you feeling the same thing?

When using the tail, distal limb, ear, etc you are measuring the peripheral pulse pressure. With the carotid, tongue, etc you're measuring central pulse pressure which is more representative of what's going on within the heart.

When you're monitoring depth of anaesthesia it's best practice to measuring the central pulse pressure.

I would double check what I've said but an anaesthesia textbook would probably be a good place to look.

Latest