The Student Room Group

Post-grade Application Strategy: Law (Rep available)

I know.
This is terrible, I shouldn't have made a thread on it, it's basically a thread about applying to university, but with the twist that I already have my grades, so that makes it OK in my eyes.

Right, I intend to apply for Law this year.
Last year, didn't go very well.
At GCSE I have 7As, 2Bs, and 1C, (in Foundation Stats) for a breakdown of what they're in, check my profile.
I have AAAa in History, Biology and Religious Studies, and an 'a' in English Language. (An A in General Studies too, but whatever.)

Last year, I got 18 on the LNAT, I've taken a practice test again, got 22, so hopefully, a years worth of studying should help me do better, 19at least.

I'm basically looking for advice on where you think I should apply to, I'm set on applying to Durham and York due to the collegiate system, and I'm thinking of Oxford again, but apart from those 3, I'm unsure.

Lancaster, QMUL, Warwick, Exeter, Nottingham, are all in the mix, but I'd appreciate any advice.
Rep available too, for the rep whores out there (you know who you are.)

EDIT: Also, generally, with my grades already certified, should I have an "insurance" choice or not?
Reply 1
Lancaster was in clearing this year, and last year. So, if you don't get in, don't like the unis you get in, you could always apply to it via clearing. Having said that, i think coz lancaster has jumped in the league tables this year, it may not be in clearing next year :dontknow:
Reply 2
shriya
Lancaster was in clearing this year, and last year. So, if you don't get in, don't like the unis you get in, you could always apply to it via clearing. Having said that, i think coz lancaster has jumped in the league tables this year, it may not be in clearing next year :dontknow:

I understand what you're saying, but I really do not want to gamble this time around, I'd ideally like to have a "back-up" uni that is very likely to take me, but is still pretty good, Exeter seems to be one with AAA/AAB in their Exeter campus, and AAB/ABB in their Cornwall campus.

I don't know myself though, hence why I'm asking :p:
Reply 3
Any more advice?
Reply 4
Nottingham and Warwick are both very good for law.
Reply 5
SKYLam
Nottingham and Warwick are both very good for law.

I'm aware of that.
Warwick rejected me last year though with AAAA at AS, so I don't see what's changed really.
Nottingham are excellent, but I don't think they do the Philosophy of Law, and I'd ideally like that as a module.
Reply 6
I would give Warwick another shot. There's a few people on here who got in with no A*'s at GCSE level,so i don't think they are GCSE nazi.
Reply 7
Junaid16
I would give Warwick another shot. There's a few people on here who got in with no A*'s at GCSE level,so i don't think they are GCSE nazi.

I do like the place...
Thanks, I might do actually.
Reply 8
I must have MOAR.
Reply 9
Mann18
I understand what you're saying, but I really do not want to gamble this time around, I'd ideally like to have a "back-up" uni that is very likely to take me, but is still pretty good, Exeter seems to be one with AAA/AAB in their Exeter campus, and AAB/ABB in their Cornwall campus.

I don't know myself though, hence why I'm asking :p:

ok so you are set on Durham, York, Oxford. Warwick seems like a risk (considering they rejected you last year), you don't want to go to Nottingham( they don't do a module you really like). That leaves us with Lancaster, Exeter and QMUL, none of these use the LNAT so even if you **** it up, it won't matter. I would say pick Lancaster as your safe option and then choose between Exeter and QMUL..Imo QM has the london location, but exeter has seen a surge in rep over the years and has a lovley campus..not that it is relevant so ye basically i say go for lancaster and then pick exeter or QMUL.
Reply 10
shriya
ok so you are set on Durham, York, Oxford. Warwick seems like a risk (considering they rejected you last year), you don't want to go to Nottingham( they don't do a module you really like). That leaves us with Lancaster, Exeter and QMUL, none of these use the LNAT so even if you **** it up, it won't matter. I would say pick Lancaster as your safe option and then choose between Exeter and QMUL..Imo QM has the london location, but exeter has seen a surge in rep over the years and has a lovley campus..not that it is relevant so ye basically i say go for lancaster and then pick exeter or QMUL.

You make a lot of sense.
I think I may actually do that, but tweak it slightly.
Reply 11
Any more advice, even if it's just general?
I have just looked at the Nottingham course and they do seem to have a module called "Classical Legal Theory" http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/module-information.php?code=008841&mod_year=optional&modcode=008526 but idk what that covers, it's only 15 credits - you could always email them and ask? It really is a great uni.

I also looked at Warwick and I'm not sure about whether they cover what you want either, they do "Legal Theory" but as a compulsory in 1st year and I'm not sure it would go into much depth at that stage, then you can choose "Social Theory of Law" but I'm not sure that's what you want either.

Exeter, on the other hand, have a 30-credit Philosophy of Law course in 2nd or 3rd year which looks exactly right ... but I can only see it on the Streatham campus. I'm a bit biased cos I have met a couple of the lecturers from the Exeter campus and they were lovely :-)

Sorry, I don't know that that was much help :-(
Reply 13
Festina lente
I have just looked at the Nottingham course and they do seem to have a module called "Classical Legal Theory" http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/module-information.php?code=008841&mod_year=optional&modcode=008526 but idk what that covers, it's only 15 credits - you could always email them and ask? It really is a great uni.

I also looked at Warwick and I'm not sure about whether they cover what you want either, they do "Legal Theory" but as a compulsory in 1st year and I'm not sure it would go into much depth at that stage, then you can choose "Social Theory of Law" but I'm not sure that's what you want either.

Exeter, on the other hand, have a 30-credit Philosophy of Law course in 2nd or 3rd year which looks exactly right ... but I can only see it on the Streatham campus. I'm a bit biased cos I have met a couple of the lecturers from the Exeter campus and they were lovely :-)

Sorry, I don't know that that was much help :-(

:facepalm:
I just skimmed the module lists looking for "philosophy" or "Jurisprudence."

Social theory of Law would still be interesting I think.
Damn, now it's even harder. :p:
Mann18
:facepalm:
I just skimmed the module lists looking for "philosophy" or "Jurisprudence."

Social theory of Law would still be interesting I think.
Damn, now it's even harder. :p:

:sorry:
I only really skimmed it as well, may well have missed something!
I'd email Notts though, if that sounds anything like, I bet their Legal Theory tutor would be thrilled!
Reply 15
Festina lente
:sorry:
I only really skimmed it as well, may well have missed something!
I'd email Notts though, if that sounds anything like, I bet their Legal Theory tutor would be thrilled!

Ha! I bet!

"Another damn email about the ambiguity of my module! He better not apply here or so help me God!"

:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending