The Student Room Group

GCSE to AS - French transition help

Does anyone have any advice about starting AS French?

So far, i've had three lessons and i'm enjoying it, but it's just so daunting. How did people who've been through it build up their confidence and make sure they had the key things locked down? Any helpful website or books?

I've been told to look at French media in relation to other subjects, like I do Government and Politics, so I could look at French coverage of British news. This seems to be pretty helpful.

I'm not the best person at French, I only got a B at GCSE, but I have the enthusiasm and the dedication for it. I just really need to get all the grammar and vocab locked down and I really need to build up my confidence.
Reply 1
jamie_jca
Does anyone have any advice about starting AS French?

So far, i've had three lessons and i'm enjoying it, but it's just so daunting. How did people who've been through it build up their confidence and make sure they had the key things locked down? Any helpful website or books?

I've been told to look at French media in relation to other subjects, like I do Government and Politics, so I could look at French coverage of British news. This seems to be pretty helpful.

I'm not the best person at French, I only got a B at GCSE, but I have the enthusiasm and the dedication for it. I just really need to get all the grammar and vocab locked down and I really need to build up my confidence.

Which exam board?
See this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1398323
There's nothing wrong with giving it a try. I found IB French hard, but I carried on with it. If you do struggle, you can always change in a couple of weeks.
Reply 3
I didn't think the transition was that big at all really. There's just more of the same, more grammar, more vocab. It's still the same French. You'll get naturally better at it as you use it more.

Yeah reading as much French in your own time as you can would be really helpful, I used to read the news and just stuff that interested me in French, even watched stuff like the Simpsons in French.
Reply 4
Anyone fancy advising me on things I can do over half term to nail everything down?
Reply 5
I found the leap from GCSE to AS French quite huge, it amazes me that I managed to make it through the year, let alone with a grade A! The best advice I can give is to keep learning vocab as much as you can (you've probably heard this a million times, but it really is necessary). Also, become familiar with tenses really well, otherwise it can get really messy and frustrating at times. I found flicking through my textbook before the lesson a big help, coming up with ideas even in English with some of the questions that you'll be asked is hard!

Best of luck

Latest

Trending

Trending