The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
effofex
What is 'ethnically black' and 'ethnic Asian'.

I don't think these things exist. Asia and Africa are pretty big, multiracial/multiethnic continents, aren't they?

Yeah, exactly. It's a confused mess as I see it, but I don't have an academic background in social science to make my opinion credible. Still, society does allow people to define ethnicity and race to be a part of their identity even if it's not clearly defined.
Reply 41
Umbrella.Girl
What is the obsession with labels?
Why must there be a group/society for everything?

It makes people (like myself), who don't really fit into any particular category an outcast in society. I think people should just exist and get on with their lives.

We're lives with qualities that make up our sense of identity. A person isn't labelled "gay", "Black", "male" etc but rather possess these qualities. A group/society is needed if a powerful enough group says so.
Reply 42
snowshine
Sorry, I'm a little out of it at the moment, but are you suggesting that blonde, ginger and brunette people are seperate races? :curious:

No, I'm not. I'm saying they possess significant differences within their White identity analagous to those within the Black identity.

And blondes, brunettes and gingers are not exculsively white if that's what you were talking about in the OP.
It's not very common, but occasionally people with darker skin tones have blonde and red(ish) hair. My cousin is "black" and has brown hair.

This is why I use White-Ginger, White-Blonde to emphasise this identity within the White identity. The Black identity has fragmented into many distinctive identities in Africa, China, South America, Australia, Middle East etc. If there is a need to fragment into Black-Ginger, Black-Brunette, Black-Blonde, it will.
Reply 43
jason12345
No, I'm not. I'm saying they possess significant differences within their White identity analagous to those within the Black identity.

This is why I use White-Ginger, White-Blonde to emphasise this identity within the White identity. The Black identity has fragmented into many distinctive identities in Africa, China, South America, Australia, Middle East etc. If there is a need to fragment into Black-Ginger, Black-Brunette, Black-Blonde, it will.

I really don't understand the point of this thread. :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending