The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Year abroad for modern languages students

Hey guys,

Where would you like to go for your year abroad?

I'm doing a degree in Spanish and Italian, but I would much rather go to Spain than Italy, because if I can't be trilingual, I'd rather be bilingual in English and Spanish, since Spanish is a much more useful language, in terms of the number of speakers around the world, I prefer the culture, I have more Spanish speaking contacts than Italian ones and moreover, in the future, I'd like to live in Catalonia and maybe even become fluent in Catalan.

Therefore, my 1st choice year abroad destination will be Barcelona. :smile:

C ya,

Jordan :biggrin:
If you're doing spanish and italian it's a 6 month split between spain and italy in your third year.

I'd like to do french, and probably go to france.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
No, it's not a 6 month split.

Sussex used to allow students to do that, but now they advise against it, due to the cultural and language change which you would have to make half way through the year. You can still apply to do 6 months in each country if you're doing two languages (like me), but it has to be accepted by both your LAR (Language Area Representatives). It is unlikely that they will accept this however, so virtually everyone will go to one country (normally to the country whose language they are weaker in).

As I said in my previous post, I want to go to Spain, although my Italian is of an equally good standard; it's just that I prefer Spain, as I mentioned before.

C ya,

Jordan :biggrin:

Latest