The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Meet and Greet Service

Hello there

I will be coming on the friday the 17th from the middle east through Manchester Airport, and I was wondering if the meet and greet service would be helpful for my case as I will be bringing a lot of luggage with me.
Also, how hard (or easy?) is it to make it on my own from Manchester to Sheffield considering that this will be the first time i set foot in the UK?

What is the meet and greet service really like? how do they pick u up from the airport and where do they drop you off?? Is it by bus or train?

Any information you provide will be very helpful :smile:
Thank you!
Reply 1
This is the Meet and Greet info page: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/meet/index.html. Unfortunately, you can no longer book a place - the last date to make a booking was August 31. You may contact them to find out whether they have any vacancies on the buses. If not, traveling from Manchester airport to Sheffield should be fairly simple: "By Rail: A covered travellator links the rail station direct to all terminals. Trains to Sheffield depart every hour during the day time the fare is £18.80 (or £12.40 with a young person/student rail card) and the journey time is approximately 1 hour. Trains are safe and comfortable." (http://www.shef.ac.uk/welcome/home/fromairport.html) So basically you don't even have to leave the airport to get to the train station. I suggest you take that route to Sheffield, plus there will be people to "meet and greet" you at the Sheffield train station: http://www.shef.ac.uk/welcome/arrival/meet.html. I'm not sure whether this scheme is a part of the Manchester airport one and whether you need to make a booking/let them know you're arriving at the train station, so just contact the Meet & Greet team (contact information can be found on their main website, which is the first link given in this post).

However, as a response to your "as I will be bringing a lot of luggage with me" sentence... the service (at the airport or train station) is not a portering service. You have to be able to carry/move your baggage by yourself.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Subhano

Thank you!

Marhaba fellow Iraqi!
Reply 3
Subhano
Hello there

I will be coming on the friday the 17th from the middle east through Manchester Airport, and I was wondering if the meet and greet service would be helpful for my case as I will be bringing a lot of luggage with me.
Also, how hard (or easy?) is it to make it on my own from Manchester to Sheffield considering that this will be the first time i set foot in the UK?

What is the meet and greet service really like? how do they pick u up from the airport and where do they drop you off?? Is it by bus or train?

Thank you!

If you get off your plane in Manchester Airport, simply follow the signs to the station and grab a train as mentioned above. It'll drop you at the Sheffield Interchange where there should be the meet and greet thing, in the worst case you can get a cab from the station to your accommodation.
Reply 4
Rassam
Marhaba fellow Iraqi!

Hi fellow Iraqi :smile:
nice to see many of us attending Sheffield next year :smile:

Thanks everyone who answered my questions... things seem simple enough and it seems that everything should be fine

Latest

Trending

Trending