The Student Room Group

Ebaying- being a seller.

I have a few things up for auction on ebay atm, i've been thinking about what could go wrong with them...on each listing i have several options for delivery- first and second class standard, and first class recorded signed for.
Do you think i should change the options to just recorded signed for (you can revise the item once listed) to avoid any issues with items being lost in the post? OR heaven forfend little bastards claiming they havn't recieved the item when they have, then asking for their money back. I know that ebay more often then not favours the buyer in disputes.
Do you think this is over cautious, or a sensible move to protect myself?
I've sent a load of things unrecorded without issues - its good to be concerned about it but the majority of buyers are legitimate.

If you are posting unrecorded then go to the post office and they will give you proof that you posted it for free. If, though unlikely, they claim they didn't receive it, you can claim it back from the post office.
Reply 2
Royal Mail standard parcels. Yeaaaaah BUDDY.
Reply 3
callum9999
I've sent a load of things unrecorded without issues - its good to be concerned about it but the majority of buyers are legitimate.

If you are posting unrecorded then go to the post office and they will give you proof that you posted it for free. If, though unlikely, they claim they didn't receive it, you can claim it back from the post office.

I think there is a value restriction on that though... upto £50 if I recall correctly :dontknow:
Reply 4
I always send items 1st class recorded. There are lots of honest people on ebay but it's just not worth the risk. I'd rather know that they can't possibly pretend it hasn't been sent.
ChrisBan
I think there is a value restriction on that though... upto £50 if I recall correctly :dontknow:

Yeah, I think it might be £40 actually. It's 100x the price of a 1st class stamp, whatever that is now.
Reply 6
I usually go second class recorded, just to be cautious. Which is just as well, a woman once angrily emailed demanding to know why her parcel hadn't arrived. Went and checked through the website, and she'd been out when it was delivered and was at the post office.
Reply 7
Depends on the value of the item, if it wasnt very expensive I would just send it first/second class not recorded and if they said they didnt receive it then you acn always give them negative feedback so others know. You can always get a proof of postage script from the post office so that if they leave you negative feedback you can follow up with a link to a scan of this to prove to other buyers its not your fault.
If its expensive then I would send it by recorded delivery.
Reply 8
Only use recorded delivery.
I've sent 50 or 60 items, none recorded, no problems. 95% of what I've sold has been clothes.
Reply 10
callum9999

ha, good old Royal Mail insurance policy. I have lost items in the past and recieved nothing from royal mail- they expect 10 pieces of evidence sent to them with your claim, half of which you couldn't possibly provide. And actually- that was with recorded signed for aswell.

the items i'm selling arn't expensive at all, but that's not the point! i really need the money. hmmmm. i'm just thinking if i take away the two cheaper options for delivery, people will be less tempted to buy...what to do...
Reply 11
think i'm just going to leave it and see how it goes. if somone screws me over, i'v got their address so i'll just go after them with a hacksaw.
Duckandthat
ha, good old Royal Mail insurance policy. I have lost items in the past and recieved nothing from royal mail- they expect 10 pieces of evidence sent to them with your claim, half of which you couldn't possibly provide. And actually- that was with recorded signed for aswell.

the items i'm selling arn't expensive at all, but that's not the point! i really need the money. hmmmm. i'm just thinking if i take away the two cheaper options for delivery, people will be less tempted to buy...what to do...

Well I made a claim for standard first class that went through fine. Just had to give the buyers contact details, a receipt and proof of postage. It doesn't surprise me you had problems with them though - they don't make it easy!

I would just leave it like it is, as you said, recorded doesn't seem to make it much easier to claim anyway!
Reply 13
Sent them fine through un-recorded just got the proof of posting thing. Only for books though, I'd use recorded for expensive stuff.

Latest

Trending

Trending