The Student Room Group

Changes to reference for independent applicants

When I accessed UCAS today I just realised a text at the bottom which said

On 28 September we are making changes to the reference section in Apply 2011. These changes will affect all applicants who are not applying through a registered school or centre.

Before 28 September 2010: Applicants must enter the reference provided by their chosen referee in the reference section of Apply.

From 28 September 2010: Applicants will be asked to provide contact details of their referee. A request will be sent by email to the referee asking them to complete and submit a reference through our secure website.

So if I've got this right does that mean my reference section needs to be completed by 28 of September even though my application doesn't need to be finished?

Furthermore as an independent applicant the reference section is there for me to see and access. How will I be able to tell my refeere to access it? Do they send me whatever they have written and I put it in myself?
Reply 1
Barça

So if I've got this right does that mean my reference section needs to be completed by 28 of September even though my application doesn't need to be finished?

Furthermore as an independent applicant the reference section is there for me to see and access. How will I be able to tell my refeere to access it? Do they send me whatever they have written and I put it in myself?

I am an individual applicant too.
Even I saw the news about 28th sep just last night.
I will ask my referee to write reference for me but I'm still confused whether my referee should mention my predicted grades in Reference(the 4000 characters one) or I have to ask for separate sheet for predicted grades and put them down in 'Predicted grades'-option which is in 'Reference' section in UCAS.

Hope you get my point...
Barça

No it seems clear to me that you will have no input regards references from Sept 28th.
Barça

If sending off your UCAS form before the 28th of September, you can see the reference section and it is up to you to get your reference and paste it into the relevant section.

If sending your UCAS form after the 28th of September, you will just provide UCAS with contact details for your referee, and UCAS will then get your reference off of them. You wont get to see it.
Reply 4
Antifazian
If sending off your UCAS form before the 28th of September, you can see the reference section and it is up to you to get your reference and paste it into the relevant section.

If sending your UCAS form after the 28th of September, you will just provide UCAS with contact details for your referee, and UCAS will then get your reference off of them. You wont get to see it.

What if the dates clash? I.e I ask my tutor, see sends me draft to see if I'm happy. I then tell her to add or change something but this is done during the deadline and she wants to send me the changes but the deadline has passed. Does that mean she will know see what I've already put there or she has a blank page?
Barça
What if the dates clash? I.e I ask my tutor, see sends me draft to see if I'm happy. I then tell her to add or change something but this is done during the deadline and she wants to send me the changes but the deadline has passed. Does that mean she will know see what I've already put there or she has a blank page?

You're confusing me. :p:
If you are applying as an independent candidate your tutor wont see your UCAS form at all. She would only see it if you were applying through your school or college, in which case this rule change doesn't apply to you.
If it gets to the 28th of September and your UCAS form hasn't been sent, then the reference section you can see currently will be deleted from your form, and the rule change comes into effect.
If I'm understanding it properly, this annoys me a little bit, even though I've already sent mine.

Last year, I had to wait three months for my reference (tutor) to get on with things and didn't get it sent until December, despite me being ready to go by the begining of September. I was applying for child nursing, so it needed to be off as early as possible. This year, I've been able to paste in the original reference and have it all done and dusted. So am I correct in assuming that if I'd left this all another few weeks or if I wanted to try again next year, I'll once again have to go through the stress of relying on someone else?
Reply 7
Antifazian
You're confusing me.
If you are applying as an independent candidate your tutor wont see your UCAS form at all. She would only see it if you were applying through your school or college, in which case this rule change doesn't apply to you.
If it gets to the 28th of September and your UCAS form hasn't been sent, then the reference section you can see currently will be deleted from your form, and the rule change comes into effect.

So I won't be able to send a reference unless I complete and send my form by the 28th of September?

When you say deleted do you mean whatever information on the section is saved and cannot be changed because the 28th will have passed or do you mean the information altogether will be removed and my tutor has to do it via UCAS?

Sorry for pestering you but I'm slighlty confused here :o:
clementinek
If I'm understanding it properly, this annoys me a little bit, even though I've already sent mine.

Last year, I had to wait three months for my reference (tutor) to get on with things and didn't get it sent until December, despite me being ready to go by the begining of September. I was applying for child nursing, so it needed to be off as early as possible. This year, I've been able to paste in the original reference and have it all done and dusted. So am I correct in assuming that if I'd left this all another few weeks or if I wanted to try again next year, I'll once again have to go through the stress of relying on someone else?

Yup exactly, definitely an incentive to get your form sent off asap. :p: Although it's not clear whether you would send your form, minus the reference, and then have UCAS request it from the referee, or whether you have to wait until UCAS has got a reference before you actually send it. Either way, I presume the unis aren't going to get your form until there's a reference attached, so the problem is the same...

I applied for a different subject last year and had the same problem as you, waiting ages for the tutors to get references done, which then delays your whole application, sooo annoying! :rolleyes:
Barça
So I won't be able to send a reference unless I complete and send my form by the 28th of September?

When you say deleted do you mean whatever information on the section is saved and cannot be changed because the 28th will have passed or do you mean the information altogether will be removed and my tutor has to do it via UCAS?

Sorry for pestering you but I'm slighlty confused here :o:

No no, you will still need a reference after the 28th of September, but UCAS will get it themselves from your referee rather than you getting it and pasting it into UCAS, as you have to do currently and up until the 28th.

When I say deleted I mean altogether removed, yeah.

It's ok, I had to read the page quite a few times to understand it myself! :o:
Antifazian
Yup exactly, definitely an incentive to get your form sent off asap. :p: Although it's not clear whether you would send your form, minus the reference, and then have UCAS request it from the referee, or whether you have to wait until UCAS has got a reference before you actually send it. Either way, I presume the unis aren't going to get your form until there's a reference attached...

I applied for a different subject last year and had the same problem as you, waiting ages for the tutors to get references done, which then delays your whole application, sooo annoying! :rolleyes:

No I'm not sure either, though it says on the website that it is our responsibility to ensure the referee provides it in time and that a deadline extension would not be provided in any case. It also says that it has been the request of colleges and universities that it be done like this in order for it to be fairer but I can't see how when surely all of the current college/ school students applying would be first priority?! My previous employers are all huge companies who don't do personal refs either, only standard "So and so worked for us between the dates..." :s-smilie:

Argh, isn't it annoying! I can only hope this is my last round in the application process :yep:
Reply 11
Antifazian
No no, you will still need a reference after the 28th of September, but UCAS will get it themselves from your referee rather than you getting it and pasting it into UCAS, as you have to do currently and up until the 28th.

When I say deleted I mean altogether removed, yeah.

It's ok, I had to read the page quite a few times to understand it myself! :o:

So I guess I'll tell her to get it done by the 28th so I can save it :woo: If not guess UCAS will have to contact her.

But in theory what difference does it make? The only incentive could be that you can change whatever the reference writes.
Barça
So I guess I'll tell her to get it done by the 28th so I can save it :woo: If not guess UCAS will have to contact her.

But in theory what difference does it make? The only incentive could be that you can change whatever the reference writes.

When you send the form off you have to tick a box to say that you didn't change the reference, so if you got caught having done so it's not gonna look good. Dunno how likely you would be to get caught for that though!

Providing you have a referee who gets your reference done quickly, it shouldn't make much difference to most people I don't think.
Reply 13
hey,
I've made a mistake with my UCAS application thinking that i was supposed to start it at home, when in fact we were supposed to wait for the school to sign up with them :frown: is there any way to delete the application?
p.s my email address has not been verified will that help at all?
WHATTT... i dont get it.... the entire reference section must be completed b4 then?
:O
i rang up ucas a few days ago and the lady didnt mention anything about this :O
piece-of-me
WHATTT... i dont get it.... the entire reference section must be completed b4 then?
:O
i rang up ucas a few days ago and the lady didnt mention anything about this :O

No, the entire reference does not need to be completed before then.

Basically, up until the 28th september, you have a section on your ucas form for the reference into which you copy and paste the reference your referee has sent you.

After the 28th, you can no longer do it this way. Instead you fill in your referee's details into the reference section and UCAS asks the referee to fill in your reference on your behalf. You do not get to see the reference.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
hey... im an independant appicant. i copmpleted my A levels and got my results in august. they weren't too great and im now taking tuition and am going to resit some modules. who should i be using as my referee??... my tutor?... and how will he give me PREDICTED grades?.. he only teaches me for one of the subject i am taking. so he could only POSSIBLY give me a grade for that. how do i do this?!.. im really confused! please helpppp!!!!
hi guys, i am applying as an independent for UCAS and i am going to retake some exams in the summer ( I am not registered with any sixth form or college) and i was wondering where in the UCAS application do i input my predicted grades or my predicted retake grades?

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending