The Student Room Group

lazy flatmates?

anyone else got this problem?

ive ended up doing all the washing up for the last week cos everyone else is too damn lazy to do it and i get really obsessive about the cleanliness of the kitchen, i dont mind doin it every now and then, esp if at least half of its my junk, but i get the feeling im being exploited for having high cleaning standards.
to be fair, one of them does cook for me and says thanks for doin it
but the other one sees that ive done it every time, its mostly her stuff and what ****in thanks do i get?

what do you suggest i should do? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

leave it, they will soon do it when they got no plates to eat off
I had this problem last year. I suggest asking them to do their washing up, make some sort of rota if it helps. Don't take "I'm too busy/I have too much work" as an excuse, you all have the same workload and you can do it, so they can too...if that doesn't work just start putting their plates in the bin after they've used them. Worked for me. :p:
Reply 3
hahaha i like the idea of puttin there plates in the bin :biggrin:

ta 4 that
Well, you could be all passive agressive about it and leave all their dirty stuff in conspicuous piles to one side while you clean only your own stuff.
Alternatively you could, y'know, talk to them about it?
Reply 5
true, i could talk to them about it, but i dont want them to think im like a nagging old woman, especially as im the youngest person in the flat
Reply 6
Buy a little set of stuff just for you and just keep them clean!!
Just because you are the youngest doesn't mean you have to do the washing.
Just stop doing it - they probably keep forgetting it was there in the first place if you keep removing the evidence.
Reply 9
Indeed. I suggest you just wash your own stuff. They'll soon get the message.
Reply 10
qwerty_st/n
anyone else got this problem?

ive ended up doing all the washing up for the last week cos everyone else is too damn lazy to do it and i get really obsessive about the cleanliness of the kitchen, i dont mind doin it every now and then, esp if at least half of its my junk, but i get the feeling im being exploited for having high cleaning standards.
to be fair, one of them does cook for me and says thanks for doin it
but the other one sees that ive done it every time, its mostly her stuff and what ****in thanks do i get?

what do you suggest i should do? :frown:

I know the feeling... I live with my boyfriend and when it comes to cleaning he is the stereotypical teenage male grrr :p:

When it comes to washing up just leave their stuff and do yours. I know I couldn't leave everything - I just couldn't live in the state Phil leaves the house in. But when it comes to something icky like washing up let her do her own!
Reply 11
If you do it all of the time without saying anything then maybe she doesn't realise you hate it!
Reply 12
Juno
If you do it all of the time without saying anything then maybe she doesn't realise you hate it!

good point. i never thought of that
The longer you carry on doing it, the worse the problem will get. If I were you, I would wash your own stuff, and perhaps the stuff of this person who cooks for you. Fair's fair. Clean the sink/surfaces if you want to. But this other girl? Gather her stuff together and stick it in a dirty pile in the corner, preferably on the floor, with a note n top saying something like, "Sorry, I was looking for the sink" and leave it there. If you don't wash her stuff, she will have to. It's as simple as that.
Tell them to do what I do, and get a pack of 25 paper plates from tesco for £1 or something like that.

Soon as you've finished eating, in the bin it goes.
Reply 15
I don't think you need to do anything too drastic yet as it's only been a week. Either leave them if you can, or put them in a pile somewhere and don't wash them. But it's too soon to start putting them in the bin, as they may not have realised!
i no what u mean about not liking to see the kitchen in a mess-im the same!

just do your own (like most people have said here)- and try to clean the surfaces around their mess-it really isnt your problem!while theyre out having fun-youve gota tidy up?!
bubbalicious_28
i no what u mean about not liking to see the kitchen in a mess-im the same!

just do your own (like most people have said here)- and try to clean the surfaces around their mess-it really isnt your problem!while theyre out having fun-youve gota tidy up?!

Ooh, I hope I'm sharing a kitchen with you! :redface:
susiemakemeblue
Ooh, I hope I'm sharing a kitchen with you! :redface:

lol!- i sense sarcasm....
bubbalicious_28
lol!- i sense sarcasm....

No, not at all! :eek:

Who wants lazy flatmates? I'd much rather live with neat freaks.

Latest