The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Absolutely spineless. Muslims burn what ever book or flag they want and never back down, why are Christians such pussies? America has gone spineless, Muslims are allowed to build a mosque right next to ground zero and Christians aren't even allowed to burn a few books. Pathetic.
Magnum Opus
it's NOT A MOSQUE, and it's NOT AT GROUND ZERO. Why should they move something which is neither of what the haters claim it is, because of something ******* pathetic immature person who wants to burn some books? So it's fine that we can give way to vigilantes like this rather than pursue peaceful dialogue? Like **** it is.

tshtrhsrtdhvsrdcr

Sometimes it's better to lose a battle than to win it.
Tobts
You're the type of person who blames women when they are raped and gay people when they are attacked on the street.

No, I'm the type of person who doesn't like someone inciting religious hatred.
Reply 43
The_Male_Melons

Agreed.

In know right? Who do they think they are :mad: Burning a book!

They should be more like Islamic Extremists and blow up buses :rolleyes:

Sigh, that type of extremism is harmless. I'd rather Osama burns a few books than you know, the terrorism and whatnot.
Reply 44
callum9999
But then its hardly promoting interfaith relationships is it - its promoting the idea that christianity is superior to islam and can dictate what they can and can't do.

No, it is not about Christianity being superior to Islam. It is just about having some respect and avoiding unnecessary controversy/provocation.
Tobts
Oh, ok - it is an Islamic centre closeGround Zero. Provocative and extremely distasteful.

No, that is not what I'm saying. I think they should have moved it weeks ago. It has caused so much controversy.

DID YOU KNOW that there has been an Islamic cultural centre there since BEFORE the World Trade Centre? Did you know that? Did you know that all they want to do is transform themselves from a basement to a proper home? This has **** all to do with 9/11, **** all to do with insensitivities on the part of Muslims. It's the immaturity of people such as this so-called pastor which has caused these problems, and the point of the cultural centre is to break down barriers such as these. If they move it because of those issues, then it's a sad sad day for humanity, I tell you.
Reply 46
It was his master plan all along!
Reply 47
ak56
Absolutely spineless. Muslims burn what ever book or flag they want and never back down, why are Christians such pussies? America has gone spineless, Muslims are allowed to build a mosque right next to ground zero and Christians aren't even allowed to burn a few books. Pathetic.

Well, we have no idea why the guy caved in - he says it's because they've made a deal with the Imam in charge of the cultural centre near Ground Zero, but it looks like he was lying, so it's all a mystery. Let's see how it pans out over the next few hours.

Also, seriously, it's not a mosque and it's not "right next to Ground Zero" so stop spreading lies. -_-
Dirac Delta Function
Sometimes it's better to lose a battle than to win it.

Sometimes it is, but I don't think this is one of those times. As I said in my previous posts, the whole reason they are trying do build this centre is to break down the horrible barriers which have resulted in people like this so-called pastor. It's really depressing.
Steevee
They should be more like Islamic Extremists and blow up buses :rolleyes:

:rofl:
Reply 50
Good.
Tobts
No, it is not about Christianity being superior to Islam. It is just about having some respect and avoiding unnecessary controversy/provocation.

How does respect come into it? There are people in America who don't want mosques built anywhere - should they also be respected? Their claims are just as ridiculous as the people moaning about this.

It's not respect if it is one-sided - its subservience.
Addzter
He should use his freedom of expression wisely instead of stirring up trouble between the faiths.

Exactly. Everyone has the right to live your life as they please. therefore you do not abuse it by showing no respect to others.
Reply 53
Laertes
Pussy.

This.
Tobts
...Or else I'm going to burn a few books? That is a hardly threat.

The burning of, or in fact, any desecration, of the Koran is a great insult to Muslims. It would hardly help Christian/Muslim relations.

Frankly, I'm glad he cancelled it. Deliberately offending and insulting Muslims in such a way is not only hurtful to Christian/Muslim relations, it is rude, unnecessary, and goes against the ideals of what he is supposed to preach. The church is not supposed to spread hate.

Besides which, it makes no sense to insult an entire religion, because of the actions, however awful, of a few extremists. The vast majority of Muslims, just like anyone else, do not condone the 9/11 attacks.
Reply 55
callum9999
How does respect come into it? There are people in America who don't want mosques built anywhere - should they also be respected? Their claims are just as ridiculous as the people moaning about this.

It's not respect if it is one-sided - its subservience.

So did you also fully support the pastors right to burn his copies of the Quran?
Reply 56
nmudz_009
Exactly. Everyone has the right to live your life as they please. therefore you do not abuse it by showing no respect to others.

Well put. :yep:
Reply 57
Addzter
UPDATE: The pastor claims to have made an agreement to have the planned Islamic cultural centre near Ground Zero in New York City moved to another location in exchange for cancelling the 'Burn A Koran Day'.

Is this confirmed ? I don't really have an opinion on the centre and the location but I highly doubt after protests from senators and a lot of other big names that this one protest is enough to have the centre moved.
Reply 58
Meh. I truly believe he was always going to cancel it in the first place. Cowardly fool is a disgrace to all faiths.
Magnum Opus
DID YOU KNOW that there has been an Islamic cultural centre there since BEFORE the World Trade Centre? Did you know that? Did you know that all they want to do is transform themselves from a basement to a proper home? This has **** all to do with 9/11, **** all to do with insensitivities on the part of Muslims. It's the immaturity of people such as this so-called pastor which has caused these problems, and the point of the cultural centre is to break down barriers such as these. If they move it because of those issues, then it's a sad sad day for humanity, I tell you.

I honestly don't think I've been more proud of a user on TSR than this post by you sir. The utter abundance of misinformation about the cultural centre, its purpose, it location and indeed other similar venues already being close by.

This whole thing was a non-issue when it was first proposed, but it has been picked-up by politicians (Tea Party and the Republican right), as a deference issue to not talk about the main political wins for Obama in the lead up to the midterms.

The idiocy of some in failing to understand this and buy into the hyperbole, is unbelievable :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending