Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Racist Churchill blamed for 1 million deaths in India famine

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_muneeb_x)
    How can you call some one a good leader if he LET people die ? seriously

What makes him different from Hitler or Stalin?What makes Lyndon B Johnson or Bush different from Mussolini? Nothing!
    The fact is they killed Human beings.It doesnt matter if they were jews or indians or vietnamese or if they didnt kill people from their own countries.They all were murderers and that is the fact.
    You don't honestly think that do you? Maybe you should reread your post just to make sure.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_muneeb_x)
    How can you call some one a good leader if he LET people die ? seriously

What makes him different from Hitler or Stalin?What makes Lyndon B Johnson or Bush different from Mussolini? Nothing!
    The fact is they killed Human beings.It doesnt matter if they were jews or indians or vietnamese or if they didnt kill people from their own countries.They all were murderers and that is the fact.
    Difference, Churchill chose to not give aid on the grounds (rightly or wrongly) that Britain needed the supplies more. Assuming the aid was not really needed in Britain i.e. it didn't save British lives - it could be argued he indirectly caused the death of innocent Indians.

In contrast, Hitler directly authorized the extermination of tens of thousands of certain groups on grounds of racial superiority. To even compare the two men, it's frankly disgusting.

It was thanks partly to Churchill that you (a foreigner, according to the location in your profile) have the ability to potentially attend Oxford/our great universities next year. Show some respect.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    I think you mean "oaf".

Please learn to spell before criticising former prime ministers.
    I will not be lectured on the English language by somebody who hasn't yet grasped the idea of capital letters (see your previous post).

See, I can be a snivelling pedant too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    He's a disgusting individual, the more i read about him the more i despise him.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL. Nice attempt to villify the UK's greatest PM, Teveth. I doubt anyone could have lead an effective resistance to Nazi germany during WW2 like he did. In fact, I'd go out on a limb and say that he was the only capable MP for the crises of the time.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    op is just jealous because everyone knows his hero stalin starved his own people for giggles
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ia-famine.html

Racist, sexist, a drunk....and now we can add genocidal monster to the list of reasons why this despicable inbred man is a blight on our country's history. The fact that the Conservatives still hold him in high esteem - a heroic figure, if you like - tells us all we need to know about Tories.

Just Winston ?

You need read up on 200 years of Exploitation by the British

they imposed salary and education caps on Indians stopped them from going to Uni. and spent most of there money developing central India and port cities whilst other parts of India were left to fend for themselves and they messed up Kashmir on purpose

In Africa they drew borders cutting across ethnic groups

but I think this article is fake and Fabricated
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Historical context, anyone?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    I'd be a tad more greatful if i were you. He's part of the reason you're not speaking german and the tyranny of the Nazis did not spread across the entirety of Europe.
    Sorry, I thought we were talking about Churchill, not Stalin?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Historical context, anyone?
    Apologetics, anyone? I thought the right didn't believe in cultural relativism anyway. Even in the 1940's just letting people die was generally considered unacceptable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    First off I'd like to point out that Teveth is not a repesentative of our party,

And secondly the historical context is key here-we all know that Churchill made some mistakes but theres no denying that he was an excellent wartime leader and did what he thought was right for the country (that said he was a crap peacetime politician.) He may have held views which where common to his class during the period and which we find abhorrent but I have no doubt that he is one of Britians great leaders.

As for this story-as with any counter factual history we can theorise all sorts of things: Many might still have died had the fields remained (it was a bad harvest that year) and what would have happened had the Japanese penertrated Bruma and India-they wern't exactly known for their kind and humane treatment of conquored populations.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Racist, sexist, a drunk....and now we can add genocidal monster to the list of reasons why this despicable inbred man is a blight on our country's history. The fact that the Conservatives still hold him in high esteem - a heroic figure, if you like - tells us all we need to know about Tories.
    What's your view on Ghandhi? He was at least as racist as Churchill.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    We were in the middle of world war 2, we needed all the ships we could get, and we were on rations and barley able to feed ourselves, never mind feed all of India as well.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    You really are a troll aren't you...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Churchill was a great man. He lived in a different time remember, this was a pretty standard opinion. I'd rather people from another country die than risk my own country's population dying
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gremlins)
    Sorry, I thought we were talking about Churchill, not Stalin?

who is the biggest murderer in fu**ing history?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im sure that racism doesn't come into it. we where at war. how are they gonna feel if we did send a ship and a disaster happened else where. O the brits are racist for sending a ship to india instead of helping us survive. war comes with tough choises. I'd say it takes an arrogant racist in the first place to make these accusations. sadly with finite resouces comes finite ability to get things right all the time. he was a human for christ sake not a god...

why do people go sticking there remarks into war-time decisions. its easier to specualte about a decision than make one. i pitty all those that think they could do better... maybe you could for that decision. but i wonder how many horrific acts would blight your names.

difficult situation = difficult decision.

the americans may have offered to send a ship but there may be other circumstances effecting the way if could be distributed. after all burma and places like that saw some of the worst conditions/ fighting from the entire war.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ia-famine.html

Not really true at all im sure your trolling. As a fact if it wasnt for him you probably couldnt act so childish today. The nazis would have taken over and you'd be deemed to weak and pathetic to live....

:yep:!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alastor)
    Difference, Churchill chose to not give aid on the grounds (rightly or wrongly) that Britain needed the supplies more. Assuming the aid was not really needed in Britain i.e. it didn't save British lives - it could be argued he indirectly caused the death of innocent Indians.

In contrast, Hitler directly authorized the extermination of tens of thousands of certain groups on grounds of racial superiority. To even compare the two men, it's frankly disgusting.

It was thanks partly to Churchill that you (a foreigner, according to the location in your profile) have the ability to potentially attend Oxford/our great universities next year. Show some respect.
    This pretty much. I'm sorry some of you have come to the realisation that Churchill is indeed human and has limits like the rest of us, rather than a godlike figure that has the ability to save two countries at once.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I will not be lectured on the English language by somebody who hasn't yet grasped the idea of capital letters (see your previous post).

See, I can be a snivelling pedant too.
    Ye, it's a shame that someone who can't even use capital letters properly has corrected you, isn't it?
    TBF the fact that America and Australia offered supplies is irrelevant, they weren't in a warzone.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: December 20, 2010
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.