The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2220
Original post by RedDragon
Fortunately this years paper is a seen paper, so we get a couple of weeks in advance to pick what questions we want to do and write an answer. Learn that and hopefully remember it on the day. As such, because I stink at contract law, I've tended towards tort questions, two problem (defences to negligence and effect of death on the award of damages) and one essay(contract - specific performance :s-smilie:) couldn't avoid having to write an essay question.

Thanks, same to you. :smile:

I thought it was just me who really hated essay questions. I have no idea why, but I just find it really difficult to sink my teeth into one. All I see is a jumble of words. Really trying to turn it around by planning and structuring practice essays so hopefully that will help.

I know the law and stuff, its just that I think that I remember it in a different way, i.e in a way that is more easily applicable to a problem scenario.
Original post by HannanB
I thought it was just me who really hated essay questions. I have no idea why, but I just find it really difficult to sink my teeth into one. All I see is a jumble of words. Really trying to turn it around by planning and structuring practice essays so hopefully that will help.

I know the law and stuff, its just that I think that I remember it in a different way, i.e in a way that is more easily applicable to a problem scenario.

Here's a hint for doing well in essays - don't hedge your bets. If you have an opinion, ensure that the one thing the examiner knows at the end is what that opinion is. At my uni at least, the best way to do well in an essay is to use this structure:

Intro - your opinion
1) Why you're right
2) Why you're right and everyone else is wrong.
3) Why you're right and everyone else is wrong.
Conclusion - your opinion.

People prefer problems because you don't have to really critically read. So read articles and ask yourself if you agree. Look for points you disagree with. Don't just quote academics - explain why you agree/disagree with them.
Does anyone use Blackboard? If so, you know when you are on a module page, and on the lefthand side there are tabs, one of them being assessments, how do you get an online test to work? because I'm trying to find anything to click on and nothing is clickable, I can't find a way for the test to start.
Original post by gethsemane342
Here's a hint for doing well in essays - don't hedge your bets. If you have an opinion, ensure that the one thing the examiner knows at the end is what that opinion is. At my uni at least, the best way to do well in an essay is to use this structure:

Intro - your opinion
1) Why you're right
2) Why you're right and everyone else is wrong.
3) Why you're right and everyone else is wrong.
Conclusion - your opinion.

People prefer problems because you don't have to really critically read. So read articles and ask yourself if you agree. Look for points you disagree with. Don't just quote academics - explain why you agree/disagree with them.

Since this essay technique originally comes from me I feel I should caveat it. :p:

This method works well at Cambridge where they place a premium on academic 'flair' (read: bs-ing), but other universities might give more credit to sheer accuracy and understanding the law.
Original post by The West Wing
Since this essay technique originally comes from me I feel I should caveat it. :p:

This method works well at Cambridge where they place a premium on academic 'flair' (read: bs-ing), but other universities might give more credit to sheer accuracy and understanding the law.

Ha ha, you say that, several of my friends worked it out on their own (one has despaired for the french system which requires complete neutrality).
Reply 2225
Negligence law is proving very hard to organise for the exams, still working through my 376 slides. Oh dear. And thats just the basics.
Reply 2226
Random question: Horizontal relationships are between two peers e.g. two non-public bodies or two citizens; vertical is the opposite i.e. one has a higher status such as citizen versus the state. So what will the relationship be if it is two public bodies against each other, on the face of it it seems to be horizontal but they are public bodies which confuses me. Any thoughts?
Original post by AmiB
Random question: Horizontal relationships are between two peers e.g. two non-public bodies or two citizens; vertical is the opposite i.e. one has a higher status such as citizen versus the state. So what will the relationship be if it is two public bodies against each other, on the face of it it seems to be horizontal but they are public bodies which confuses me. Any thoughts?

It doesn't really matter, vertical effect applies because the body being sued is an emanation of the state.
Original post by G8D

Company Law is driving me mental.

Whens your exams? Im doing company next year :smile:
Original post by G8D
I have 4 exams starting the 25th ending the 2nd.

You got plenty of time then! What year you in?
Original post by G8D
Second year. It doesn't feel like plenty of time.

Technically I can contently survive getting a C in any one subject and Ds in everything else but I'd really rather do better than that.

Whats your other modules?
Reply 2231

Not that I do law, but I always find this funny :colone: :tongue:
Original post by Kiss

I always found it to be true
Original post by Kiss

Reminds me of this:

Hi guys, this week im planning to start ringing high street law firms up and try get a work experience with them for summer. Im not a shy person, but for some reason I dont feel confident in doing it. I never done it before, so dont know exactly what to say when i ring the, could anyone give me some ideas on how should i start the converstation? - im also in the 1st year at uni.

Cheers guys.
Original post by Celtic_Anthony
Send a CV & covering letter first. Then call 'to check they received it'.

I think its better if I ring up, then ill be able to get an answer quickly, rather then wait, im just not sure what should i say...
Original post by Swimmer
I think its better if I ring up, then ill be able to get an answer quickly, rather then wait, im just not sure what should i say...

Nobody will offer you something without seeing a CV and probably also interview. I recommend sending a CV, waiting a week and then ringing.
Nobody will offer you something without seeing a CV and probably also interview. I recommend sending a CV, waiting a week and then ringing.

Ok thanks, do I need to send a cover letter too?
Original post by Swimmer
Ok thanks, do I need to send a cover letter too?

Your covering letter can just be a few lines 'Blah blah blah I'm ____ and I am studying at ___ and I am interested in ____. Please find attached my CV'

I wouldn't make it too formal like for a vacation scheme.
Your covering letter can just be a few lines 'Blah blah blah I'm ____ and I am studying at ___ and I am interested in ____. Please find attached my CV'

I wouldn't make it too formal like for a vacation scheme.

Thanks a lot for your help mate, really appreciated!

Latest

Trending

Trending