The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

>Anna<
Argh, can't concentrate and I need to read up on Roman Law for my seminar tomorrow. And then I need to start worrying about my Contract case class and Public Law seminar on Tuesday... :nooo:

:console: What year are you in?

Guvnor
I got a tax workshop tomorrow and do not understand a single bit of it :sad:

In what sense? Can't understand any of the content? How is Tax law? It's supposed to be extremely dull (or so I have heard :awesome:).
Ape Gone Insane
:console: What year are you in?

2nd. You?
Reply 242
Ape Gone Insane

In what sense? Can't understand any of the content? How is Tax law? It's supposed to be extremely dull (or so I have heard :awesome:).

Well its an compulsory elective when you study the LPC, its one of those modules if you love it then you'll love it but if you hate it then you'll hate it with all your heart.

Its extremely boring and dull if you ask, mind you tax lawyers do earn substantial bucks if thats something your looking to go into :wink:
Reply 243
Labour law is a massive ballache. Essentially an even more turgid version of Contract law, with a healthy dose of EU thrown in.
Intellectual Property seems straightforward enough, well, Copyright & Designs anyway, so I'm hoping it'll stay like this.
Company law is an absolute bitch, as expected.
Jurisprudence is fairly enjoyable, if only because there are no cases. I intend to get stuck into H.L.A Hart's "The Concept of Law" soon-ish.

Guvnor
x

Where did you do your LPC?

I'm considering BPP for the BPTC, if only because it's moderately cheaper and allows you to do the LLM (i.e their 'practical' version of an LLM) in several months straight after the BPTC by taking two additional modules.
Reply 244
Haven't been around much recently, what with starting third year and trying to actually do the work. :sigh:

As we've recently been accepted as a society, now's a decent time to put an application to join in, and I'll accept you.

Hopefully this'll help the thread's activity levels

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 245
Ape Gone Insane
I haven't done too much reading on this but does it not seem unfair that an acceptance as it is posted take precedence over a revocation which is still in postal transit? Why doesn't the revocation take effect when it is posted?

My gut reaction to the postal acceptance exception (try saying that three times fast while pissed) is similar to yours. Still, there are a few reasons behind the apparent incoherence. I don't find them compelling. You've raised an important question, and one I happen to find very interesting. Apologies if this isn't particularly clear--only just got up and am trying to write this without getting my notes out and bestrewing the desk with them.

I think it's first worth considering the mooted justifications of the postal acceptance rule.
1. At a pragmatic level, it's necessary to have some clear indication of when an acceptance sent through the post takes effect. (This much is clear, though obviously the need for *a* clear rule tells us little about whether this is the correct one. A number of academics, notably McKendrick, agree with you. I think Beatson in Anson's Law of Contract is a bit more divided.)
2. The argument put forward in Household Fire and Insurance Co. v. Grant (I think, cba to sift through my notes this time of morning--edit, checked wiki, that's the one--bear in mind this is English law, so I don't know if the Scottish precedents are different) that the post office is the agent of both the offeror and the offeree. I find this reasoning strained, at best. But, the general attitude in Household & Grant is that the offeror takes on the risk of postal acceptance unless he expressly includes it. That includes the risk that an acceptance will reach him before the revocation does.

There has been some suggestion that revocation should be permitted, as there was never a shared state of mind from an objective standpoint. There is also some suggestion that revocation should be permitted, so long as it does not permit speculation. The postal acceptance/revocation rules aren't designed to facilitate speculation in currency or commodities, for example. Finally, there's a case distinguishing Household (I'm not absolutely certain on this) which says that the postal acceptance rule shouldn't be applied where it would lead to manifest inconvenience and absurdity. I happen to think the postal acceptance rule poses the risk of manifest inconvenience and absurdity on far too regular a basis, and ought to be scrapped, but it's not as easy to consign to the dustbin as one might hope. There are problems with other approaches, which is one of the reasons why it's been settled law--though distinguished for fax, email, telex communication--for 130 years.

(I :love: contract, too.)
jjarvis
My gut reaction to the postal acceptance exception (try saying that three times fast while pissed) is similar to yours. Still, there are a few reasons behind the apparent incoherence. I don't find them compelling. You've raised an important question, and one I happen to find very interesting. Apologies if this isn't particularly clear--only just got up and am trying to write this without getting my notes out and bestrewing the desk with them.

I think it's first worth considering the mooted justifications of the postal acceptance rule.
1. At a pragmatic level, it's necessary to have some clear indication of when an acceptance sent through the post takes effect. (This much is clear, though obviously the need for *a* clear rule tells us little about whether this is the correct one. A number of academics, notably McKendrick, agree with you. I think Beatson in Anson's Law of Contract is a bit more divided.)
2. The argument put forward in Household Fire and Insurance Co. v. Grant (I think, cba to sift through my notes this time of morning--edit, checked wiki, that's the one--bear in mind this is English law, so I don't know if the Scottish precedents are different) that the post office is the agent of both the offeror and the offeree. I find this reasoning strained, at best. But, the general attitude in Household & Grant is that the offeror takes on the risk of postal acceptance unless he expressly includes it. That includes the risk that an acceptance will reach him before the revocation does.

There has been some suggestion that revocation should be permitted, as there was never a shared state of mind from an objective standpoint. There is also some suggestion that revocation should be permitted, so long as it does not permit speculation. The postal acceptance/revocation rules aren't designed to facilitate speculation in currency or commodities, for example. Finally, there's a case distinguishing Household (I'm not absolutely certain on this) which says that the postal acceptance rule shouldn't be applied where it would lead to manifest inconvenience and absurdity. I happen to think the postal acceptance rule poses the risk of manifest inconvenience and absurdity on far too regular a basis, and ought to be scrapped, but it's not as easy to consign to the dustbin as one might hope. There are problems with other approaches, which is one of the reasons why it's been settled law--though distinguished for fax, email, telex communication--for 130 years.

(I :love: contract, too.)

Hm, very interesting. :beard: It varies on a "reasonable" time period as well. Apparently in England and in the case you citied, it was found a contract would be concluded even if the acceptance went missing the post. :K: Lord Shand doesn't think this solution should be applied to Scotland :pierre:

"It is one matter for an offerer to be contractually bound for a day or two before the offer is actually received, quite another when the acceptance is never received at all."

I agree with him tbh.

According to Woolman's Contract, it was found in Countess of Dunmore v Alexander 1830 that postal acceptance can be revoked.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 247
Ape Gone Insane
Hm, very interesting. :beard: It varies on a "reasonable" time period as well. Apparently in England and in the case you citied, it was found a contract would be concluded even if the acceptance went missing the post. :K: Lord Shand doesn't think this solution should be applied to Scotland :pierre:

"It is one matter for an offerer to be contractually bound for a day or two before the offer is actually received, quite another when the acceptance is never received at all."

I agree with him tbh.

According to Woolman's Contract, it was found in Countess of Dunmore v Alexander 1830 that postal acceptance can be revoked.

I think Shand's point was actually cited in one of my contract texts, but I can't remember where. For my part, I don't think his argument is coherent. The chief (sole?) virtue of the postal acceptance rule is that it puts the risk on the offeror. I think his approach is equally strained. Shand's approach leaves some risk on the offeror, and then adds risk to the offeree. The offeree's acceptance is valid when posted, unless it happens to get lost, in which case the acceptance is no longer valid and binding. Acceptance ought to depend on the offeror's having received it, rather than binding the offeror in his ignorance because of the exigencies of the post. This approach runs the risk of even greater uncertainty. I also wonder about the possibility of deceit: "I posted my acceptance, it must have been lost", which could permit speculation.

Is Dunmore & Alexander a Scottish case?
(edited 13 years ago)
G8D
May get them post-xmas. :iiam:

Should get him post-Christmas, for UE. FM is my favourite lecturer so far, I wish we got her more this year :frown: you'll get her for Family as well though :top: The lecturer I got for Delict was a JC? Dunno if she does it every year though.

I'm supposed to go out tonight for a bit, but I have work to finish for Law and Govt on Friday (so I can get a clear run at the Tax diagnostic) and I'm definitely going out tomorrow night. Sighhhhhh, I clearly have a lot to trouble me :p:
Reply 249
Ape Gone Insane
x

"The following errors arose while processing your join requests:

Ape Gone Insane: User has too many society memberships

Requests from these users have been deleted"
Reply 250
thejonsmith

Where did you do your LPC?

I'm considering BPP for the BPTC, if only because it's moderately cheaper and allows you to do the LLM (i.e their 'practical' version of an LLM) in several months straight after the BPTC by taking two additional modules.

Well I am currently doing it at the moment at College of Law. Yes BPP is supposed to be superb for the BPTC, I have a friend who is also currently doing the BPTC at the moment at BPP.

Yes nearly all providers let you do the LLM after completion of the BPTC/LPC.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 251
Guvnor
Yes nearly all providers let you do the LLM after completion of the BPTC/LPC.

Looking at the College of Law's site though, suggests doing the LPC or BPTC gives you 60/180 points needed for it, while the same at BPP grants you 120, and they specifically state you can do their LLM in several months, taking two modules, between completion of the BPTC and the start of a pupillage.

Also, have you got a TC lined up already?
G8D
Her voice :love:

She's funny too :top:

I have literally not met a single person that doesn't like her. EVERYONE does. Ridiculously so.
Reply 253
thejonsmith
Looking at the College of Law's site though, suggests doing the LPC or BPTC gives you 60/180 points needed for it, while the same at BPP grants you 120, and they specifically state you can do their LLM in several months, taking two modules, between completion of the BPTC and the start of a pupillage.

Also, have you got a TC lined up already?

I had one TC but got turned down in the end :sad:

At the moment I'm in the process of applying, so lets see how it goes. Don't worry when I get it I'll definitely update the thread :p:

You applying for VS/TC's ? Most applications are now open.
Celtic_Anthony
On the topic of lecturers, how you liking Tomkins?

He's definitely man-crush material, if I got those.

Devastating news: we don't get him :frown: he's on study leave. I was very disappointed.

We've had Sarah Craig and a guy Mullan so far, neither of them have exactly inspired a passion in me about Law & Government though. I've just finished most of the work for the second tutorial and want to crawl into my bed and die.
Reply 255
Celtic_Anthony
On the topic of lecturers, how you liking Tomkins?

He's definitely man-crush material, if I got those.

Tomkins book on public law is ace. His text with Turpin is meant to be good, but I'm using Bradley and Ewing (at least at the moment...).
thejonsmith
Haven't been around much recently, what with starting third year and trying to actually do the work. :sigh:

As we've recently been accepted as a society, now's a decent time to put an application to join in, and I'll accept you.

Hopefully this'll help the thread's activity levels

Welcome back :woo: so...how did you survive property last year? Tell me. I'm curious.
Reply 257
jjarvis
Tomkins book on public law is ace. His text with Turpin is meant to be good, but I'm using Bradley and Ewing (at least at the moment...).

Big Keith Ewing is my Labour tutor this year. :love:

flyinthesky
x

With difficulty.

Essentially, I didn't attend almost at all. When it came to the exam, I mostly used the Law Express book, but then all I managed on the revision was two days. Probably not surprising that I ended up with an average 2:2 in it really. :sigh:
thejonsmith

With difficulty.

Essentially, I didn't attend almost at all. When it came to the exam, I mostly used the Law Express book, but then all I managed on the revision was two days. Probably not surprising that I ended up with an average 2:2 in it really. :sigh:

That's impressive :biggrin: I may end up following in your footsteps. I have a property tutorial tomorrow at 9am which just isn't going to happen.

How's third year so far?
Reply 259
flyinthesky
That's impressive :biggrin: I may end up following in your footsteps. I have a property tutorial tomorrow at 9am which just isn't going to happen.

How's third year so far?

Third year's a lot more intense, mainly because I've actually started attending and trying to do the work for tutorials. Not looking forward to a two hour Labour seminar I haven't done the reading for. :pinch:

Latest

Trending

Trending