The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lidiya
Ok .. so what is the difference between LLB and BA.. as I don;t know what i want to work in the future.. it really depends on the grade i get.. but i don't think that I want to be a barrister.. so which one is the best? PLEaseeee helpp meee!! Thanks a lot !! :smile:

Original post by zaliack
An LLB is a qualifying law degree, which satisfies part of the educational requirement to be a solicitor/barrister. A BA Law degree is unique to Oxbridge (& Southampton Solent, for some odd reason), it's the exact same thing though.

Almost right. LLB is a QLD. A BA is not necessarily a QLD - you have to take the right modules yourself. In reality, people doing the BA will probably be aiming for a QLD (and Oxbridge has it for historical reasons although contrary to popular opinion, the core papers aren't compulsory at Cambridge. You don't have to take EU, for example. But everyone does either because their college makes them or because they want a QLD)
Original post by gethsemane342
Almost right. LLB is a QLD. A BA is not necessarily a QLD - you have to take the right modules yourself. In reality, people doing the BA will probably be aiming for a QLD (and Oxbridge has it for historical reasons although contrary to popular opinion, the core papers aren't compulsory at Cambridge. You don't have to take EU, for example. But everyone does either because their college makes them or because they want a QLD)

It used to be much more common. Durham used to do a BA rather than an LLB as did Kent and, I think, Leicester. There used to be one or two single honours BSc degrees in law as well.

Until relatively recently admin and trusts were not compulsory at Oxford either.
Why do investment banks never make any sense? Was just looking at a UBS legal placement, and I have absolutely no idea what they are on about, or what kind of legal knowledge they expect from me :confused:
Reply 2803

Thank you!! And so i am probably goingt to do LLB in Law and i dont really want to be a barrister or something like that.. maybe work in a back or any business organisation or possibly work in the local gov.. so I have to choose my modules rite.. and i am thinking about Business Law, EU and UK law, public law maybe... ??
Original post by lidiya
Thank you!! And so i am probably goingt to do LLB in Law and i dont really want to be a barrister or something like that.. maybe work in a back or any business organisation or possibly work in the local gov.. so I have to choose my modules rite.. and i am thinking about Business Law, EU and UK law, public law maybe... ??

You don't choose your modules until 2nd/3rd year.

EU Law, Public Law (Constitutional & Administrative), Law of obligations (Tort & Contract), Land Law, Criminal Law and Equity & Trusts are all the 'core' modules, so you can't deviate from then. Most universities will let you choose one optional module in 2nd year, and the third year is made up entirely up optional modules (presuming you want to do single honours, of course). So you don't need to think about that sort of thing yet.
hey all, i'm a LLB student, first year, city university london!
Reply 2806
Original post by Eternal*
hey all, i'm a LLB student, first year, city university london!

Pleasee tell me how is it.. i am applying for law LLB too.. ahhh ;SS :biggrin:
Reply 2807
Original post by zaliack
You don't choose your modules until 2nd/3rd year.

EU Law, Public Law (Constitutional & Administrative), Law of obligations (Tort & Contract), Land Law, Criminal Law and Equity & Trusts are all the 'core' modules, so you can't deviate from then. Most universities will let you choose one optional module in 2nd year, and the third year is made up entirely up optional modules (presuming you want to do single honours, of course). So you don't need to think about that sort of thing yet.

You're so helpfull.. Thank you so muchh!!! :smile:
Original post by lidiya
Pleasee tell me how is it.. i am applying for law LLB too.. ahhh ;SS :biggrin:

Its alot of reading. More than 100 pages a week of tiny textbook writing. Which seems like a whole other language. You wanna do that for 3+ yrs?
Thats not including tutorial prep, coursework and researching cases.
Its alot of reading. More than 100 pages a week of tiny textbook writing. Which seems like a whole other language. You wanna do that for 3+ yrs?

My course was more like 100 pages a day than a week, possibly more. 100 pages a week is 20 pages per weekday, which is very little.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2810
Original post by jjarvis
My course was more like 100 pages a day than a week, possibly more. 100 pages a week is 20 pages per weekday, which is very little.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahahahaha do not give them a heart attack jjarvis... full disclosure, tell them where you matriculated etc... hahahahahaha

How is the LPC going? The BPTC is intense, meaning there is never a dull moment (they keep us busy), but I am enjoying it...
Original post by jjarvis

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not to mention some of those cases where you just want to go up to a judge, and shout at them for dissenting/agreeing but taking 100 paragraphs to do that.

After talking to one of my lecturers who graduated from Berkeley, I think I can say we get off easily :tongue:
Original post by vnupe
Hahahahaha do not give them a heart attack jjarvis... full disclosure, tell them where you matriculated etc... hahahahahaha

How is the LPC going? The BPTC is intense, meaning there is never a dull moment (they keep us busy), but I am enjoying it...

Lpc is fine. Reasonably well taught, and very practical. Not too difficult so far. Interesting in places, not so much in others. Coming up on stage 1 exams. Looking forward to stage 2.

Glad you're enjoying it, where are you doing the course again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2813
Original post by jjarvis
Lpc is fine. Reasonably well taught, and very practical. Not too difficult so far. Interesting in places, not so much in others. Coming up on stage 1 exams. Looking forward to stage 2.

Glad you're enjoying it, where are you doing the course again?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stage 1 exams? Sounds like your course is completely different to ours... I am at UWE, decided not to go London, couldn't justify paying the extra £6000 plus living expenses... and more to the point I was lazy and didn't want to move... hahahah

Civil Lit is a bi time consuming... i find it interesting but since I don't plan on going into that vein of the law, I sometimes wonder why I'm doing it, but then the practicalities of it kick in...

No regrets for picking UWE, we had to hit the ground running and so far so good... plus have made some contacts with top criminal sets in London and have been given positive indications re applying for pupillage.. so we shall see...
Reply 2814
hey, i really want to go to ucl, are you doing law there? if so, what alevels did you do and what grades did you achieve?
and how were your GCSES?
Reply 2815

:ss ahh that sounds scaryy.... Great!!.. Hmm.. well for all the universities I am applying for the LLB Law is for 3 years.. but I am thinking to do an extra year as a postgraduate maybe.. ?!!?..

And today I went to an Open day in Anglia Ruskin.. and saw the court room it looked soo scary..
Btwat which uni you studying? :smile:
Thanks for the info!!
Original post by jjarvis

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bit of an exagerration. I did about 100 every 2-3 days most of the time and I was on the same course as you.
Bit of an exagerration. I did about 100 every 2-3 days most of the time and I was on the same course as you.

To be fair though, there is someone on my course who reads hundreds of articles for 'fun', completely unrelated to our subjects. Maybe that's what jjarvis is like? :redface:
Original post by zaliack
To be fair though, there is someone on my course who reads hundreds of articles for 'fun', completely unrelated to our subjects. Maybe that's what jjarvis is like? :redface:

Possibly - he was certainly better prepared for supervisions than I was at any rate :tongue: But then, I usually spent the first 2 terms mastering basics and read loads of articles in exam term. People got used to seeing me sitting in the library aisles with books spread around me ^_^
Original post by zaliack

I've never seen him working in person to know, but certainly on TSR jjarvis always seemed to be someone whose answers to legal questions were considered (as a result of mulling over and digesting particular problems) rather than the product of simply absorbing others' arguments/opinions, if that makes sense. If he happens to see this, I'd be interested to know what he thinks he's like. :p: