The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone have access to the LCMLQ who can help me out getting hold of an article?

tehforum

Perhaps? :flutter:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7201
So my bad habit didn't actually last very long. Here's trying to dent that good effort.

Original post by arguendo
the joys of tsr procrastination - i'm not sure i'll ever know better!

i have teamwork-related frustration. i hate working in teams/groups when people don't pull their weight.

otherwise i am well but swamped with reading. how are you?

Team activities are always tough for this reason. Is it going better?

I've managed to reach the point of the year that I always (unsuccessfully) strive to avoid: I have sooooo much to do in Easter, and it's now close enough that I can't really offset it. Unlike other years, I also have this pesky dissertation to worry about. I am definitely much more of an exam-oriented person than a dissertation-oriented person. A dissertation brings out a perfectionist side that I let go of in my first year when I realised that being able to churn out essays every week was more important to having a balanced uni life than perfecting every single one.

Original post by Ethereal
That's what final year is all about.

Here I was thinking it was about getting a (good) degree. :tongue:

Original post by paniking_and_not_revising

I was thinking I'd be working harder in my final year too. Been watching Stalker all day though. LOL

I'd never heard of Stalker, but I will add it to my list. Final year is meant to be enjoyed* before dealing with reality.

*Well, there's one university that I can think of where I'd be having a significantly more stressful final year. I am very grateful for my good judgment in deciding against applying there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Any queen mary law students here?
Original post by ratio
So my bad habit didn't actually last very long. Here's trying to dent that good effort.

Team activities are always tough for this reason. Is it going better?

I've managed to reach the point of the year that I always (unsuccessfully) strive to avoid: I have sooooo much to do in Easter, and it's now close enough that I can't really offset it. Unlike other years, I also have this pesky dissertation to worry about. I am definitely much more of an exam-oriented person than a dissertation-oriented person. A dissertation brings out a perfectionist side that I let go of in my first year when I realised that being able to churn out essays every week was more important to having a balanced uni life than perfecting every single one.

Here I was thinking it was about getting a (good) degree. :tongue:

I'd never heard of Stalker, but I will add it to my list. Final year is meant to be enjoyed* before dealing with reality.

*Well, there's one university that I can think of where I'd be having a significantly more stressful final year. I am very grateful for my good judgment in deciding against applying there.

It's a pretty good show but CBS pulled it from their schedule so I guess it'll be cancelled. I don't think it's worth watching it unless there's some closure.

Which university is this? I regret not going to a university that offers more final year modules.

My semester 1 results come out on Friday and I'm so worried about International Criminal and Family. I hate this feeling of impending doom
Reply 7204
It's a pretty good show but CBS pulled it from their schedule so I guess it'll be cancelled. I don't think it's worth watching it unless there's some closure.

Which university is this? I regret not going to a university that offers more final year modules.

My semester 1 results come out on Friday and I'm so worried about International Criminal and Family. I hate this feeling of impending doom

Oxford. They have a mad system, which requires you to sit 9 exams in 2 weeks including subjects you haven't done since the Easter of your first year. It means they have a comparatively relaxed second year and can dedicate more time to career things.

Good luck with results! Waiting for them is never fun, but the fear usually ends up being unwarranted. I hope it will be for you anyway. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ratio
Oxford. They have a mad system, which requires you to sit 9 exams in 2 weeks including subjects you haven't done since the Easter of your first year. It means they have a comparatively relaxed second year and can dedicate more time to career things.

Good luck with results! Waiting for them is never fun, but the fear usually ends up being unwarranted. I hope it will be for you anyway. :smile:

Thanks. Apparently, no one failed.

Sounds like a nightmare.

Slightly off-topic, I had a nightmare a night ago. I was Nigel Farage's bodyguard and was protecting him from violent UKIPers because he was an immigrant. I was so confused when I woke up.

I think the stress of this degree is getting to me.
Thanks. Apparently, no one failed.

Sounds like a nightmare.

Slightly off-topic, I had a nightmare a night ago. I was Nigel Farage's bodyguard and was protecting him from violent UKIPers because he was an immigrant. I was so confused when I woke up.

I think the stress of this degree is getting to me.

Quick - write to channel 4 ... they'll probably make a mockumentary out of it!
Quick - write to channel 4 ... they'll probably make a mockumentary out of it!

haha! I watched that! (The 100 days one. The BBC documentary was pretty humorous though)

I was a bit scared that I was pro-Farage subconsciously after that
haha! I watched that! (The 100 days one. The BBC documentary was pretty humorous though)

I was a bit scared that I was pro-Farage subconsciously after that

You are. We all know you're standing as a UKIP candidate. May as well confess to it.
Hello, I was wondering if any of you could please help me with my dissertation by filling out my exciting online survey. I desperately need Asian/South East Asian & Western participants, as my dissertation aims to explore the differences in how Easterners and Westerners perceive a scene. Here is the link if you are interested:

https://chichpscyh.eu.qualtrics.com/...JyH8BI6bmmeQXX

As Law students, you may also find this very interesting

Many thanks!
You are. We all know you're standing as a UKIP candidate. May as well confess to it.

That would be pretty fun. I'd probably try and say the stupidest things when journalists are recording just to watch the media frenzy that ensues.
I don't know if anyone else is in this situation, but I feel like my dissertation is utter crap. My tutor hasn't really helped and I've finished it now. I also do family law which is what I'm doing for my dissertation and I have recently done a piece of coursework for family that I felt really analysed the law and it was really good, which has actually made me doubt my dissertation. I just think its rubbish how you cant take some of your own work and use it in your dissertation because It's my own damn work. Looking back on what Iv'e written, my dissertation doesn't really analyse much, it just goes through the law in sections and mentions what they mean (which is **** compared to what Iv'e done in my coursework).

What can I do? I have so much work now that I don't feel as though I have time to virtually start my dissertation again.
If the dissertation is quite generic, it might be worth revisiting the question and seeing if you can narrow it down a bit more so that you can actually analyse in depth rather than trying to address a large subject area

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7213
Original post by Milky93
I don't know if anyone else is in this situation, but I feel like my dissertation is utter crap. My tutor hasn't really helped and I've finished it now. I also do family law which is what I'm doing for my dissertation and I have recently done a piece of coursework for family that I felt really analysed the law and it was really good, which has actually made me doubt my dissertation. I just think its rubbish how you cant take some of your own work and use it in your dissertation because It's my own damn work. Looking back on what Iv'e written, my dissertation doesn't really analyse much, it just goes through the law in sections and mentions what they mean (which is **** compared to what Iv'e done in my coursework).

What can I do? I have so much work now that I don't feel as though I have time to virtually start my dissertation again.

When is it due? Is your tutor allowed to look at a draft or a portion (20%) of a draft? If not, print off a detailed table of contents and talk your tutor through your chapter development to get feedback. You should have at least a minimum amount of contact time (1 or 2 hours over the year) in which your tutor is required to meet with you. If you haven't used this yet, then you can set up a mini-tutorial. Your meeting may mean that you need to take a week off other things to blitz through extra material/rework a chapter, which is annoying, but remember that this is the aspect of your mark that is most within your control.

Well done for doing so much work for it already. Most writers I know won't be finished for another month and a half. Some, like you, are basically finished. I tend to ignore you guys as you make the rest of us look bad. :tongue:
Original post by ratio
When is it due? Is your tutor allowed to look at a draft or a portion (20%) of a draft? If not, print off a detailed table of contents and talk your tutor through your chapter development to get feedback. You should have at least a minimum amount of contact time (1 or 2 hours over the year) in which your tutor is required to meet with you. If you haven't used this yet, then you can set up a mini-tutorial. Your meeting may mean that you need to take a week off other things to blitz through extra material/rework a chapter, which is annoying, but remember that this is the aspect of your mark that is most within your control.

Well done for doing so much work for it already. Most writers I know won't be finished for another month and a half. Some, like you, are basically finished. I tend to ignore you guys as you make the rest of us look bad. :tongue:

Thank you for your help! I will voice my concerns with my tutor however my University only allows 1.5hrs of contact so its fair for the others and Iv'e already had an hour so I have one session left. I suppose I could email them though because I'm sure they wont mind meeting me. One thing I hate is that I end up chasing my tutor because they take forever to reply and they will put my work on the back burner because I'm too far in front of them.

My dissertation is due in April and it's only worth 20 credits because it's an optional module.

Slow and steady wins the race. Just because you finish first does not mean that you will get the best mark :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Got my semester 1 results. Not too bad apart from Family lol!
Got my semester 1 results. Not too bad apart from Family lol!

Well done
Does anyone have any notes/advice on how membership of the European Union challenges the orthodox doctrine of parliamentary sovereignty?

I feel I understand the basics, but I have a 3000 word essay to write on this and my knowledge just isn't there to produce a decent piece of coursework.
I am law graduated, working for Ministry of Finance as Legal Officer
Reply 7219
Are all of you law students pursuing a career in law? I am in first year and having doubts that it is the legal profession I want to go into, so wondering whether I should swap course or whether you think law grads still have good prospects outside of the law. TIA

Latest

Trending

Trending