The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wattsy
I did crime in 1st year so it wasn't too bad, if you're doing it in 3rd year I imagine it can get really complicated. I'm doing IP this year as a final year full option. My course doesn't have commercial law but it's comparable to my Law of Business Associations module which is statistically the most difficult module on my course by a fair margin (1/3 of people fail once, 1/6 of people fail twice). I didn't really find crime all that interesting. Macabre cases are really not my thing. LBA was interesting but the exam was god awful and I scored 56% which is not ideal. I obviously haven't done IP so I can't comment on that being interesting or not. It sounded interesting so I just hope it delivers.

Hi, thanks for your help, I'm a business student going into my 2nd year and had to select some optional modules. I probably will take criminal and IP!
Original post by imthe12
Hi, thanks for your help, I'm a business student going into my 2nd year and had to select some optional modules. I probably will take criminal and IP!

Commercial is fun and would make more sense for a business student I'd have thought...

I don't know what Wattsy's business association course covers exactly, but 'commercial law' usually connotes something different from 'corporate law'. Commercial law is primary about transactions, not corporate structures.
Meh, can't decide whether or not I should apply for a PhD as a back-up plan if I don't get pupillage... Anyone here done a PhD and enjoyed it?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Commercial is fun and would make more sense for a business student I'd have thought...

I don't know what Wattsy's business association course covers exactly, but 'commercial law' usually connotes something different from 'corporate law'. Commercial law is primary about transactions, not corporate structures.

Sorry for being confusing then. I've never really looked into that particular distinction and my course structure doesn't make it clear. I've done Commercial Contracts too which was very transactions based, obviously. I thought it was a fairly interesting topic in the main. It would probably be relevant for a business student come to think of it. Lots of my course involved understanding the basis of business to business transactions and the terms and conditions which accompanied them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by imthe12
Hi, just wanted to get some feedback about these modules below

Commercial Law, Intellectual Property Law and criminal law

Rank in term of difficulty and what interests you most ?

Commercial law will be very tough if you don't already know basic contract law and some trusts, unless that's part of the commercial law course at your university.

IP is fantastic and I love it. If it's a more theoretical course it should be quite challenging but super-interesting; if it's more 'deez b da rools' then it will be pretty easy but pretty boring (though one could say the same for any law module).

Criminal law should be a piece of piss pretty much until/unless you do joint enterprise, which is the only remotely tough part once you've got the whole actus reus/mens rea thing down.
Hey guys please give me some advice on which uni to firm. I didn't get into my firm and didn't want my insurance anymore so went into clearing. Got a place for Law at the uni of Essex and also Brighton uni for law and business. Which uni would you pick? In terms of quality and how good the areas are? I will be living on campus at either place I do pick. Thank you! Im leaning slightly towardsEssex more as it's higher placed in the rankings but still would love other opinions too. Thanks again- sorry for any typos
Original post by deborarosa
Hey guys please give me some advice on which uni to firm. I didn't get into my firm and didn't want my insurance anymore so went into clearing. Got a place for Law at the uni of Essex and also Brighton uni for law and business. Which uni would you pick? In terms of quality and how good the areas are? I will be living on campus at either place I do pick. Thank you! Im leaning slightly towardsEssex more as it's higher placed in the rankings but still would love other opinions too. Thanks again- sorry for any typos

Personally I think Brighton is a much nicer place to live but it's also very expensive. Can't really help you on the universities.
Hey guys please give me some advice on which uni to firm. I didn't get into my firm and didn't want my insurance anymore so went into clearing. Got a place for Law at the uni of Essex and also Brighton uni for law and business. Which uni would you pick? In terms of quality and how good the areas are? I will be living on campus at either place I do pick. Thank you! Im leaning slightly towardsEssex more as it's higher placed in the rankings but still would love other honest opinions too. Thanks again- sorry for any typos
So.. I decided to start criminology and criminal justice. If I had intention to switch to law with criminology would the modules of my previous course cover the ones in my latter course? In order to go directly to the second year?
Original post by Shaaa9
So.. I decided to start criminology and criminal justice. If I had intention to switch to law with criminology would the modules of my previous course cover the ones in my latter course? In order to go directly to the second year?

Doubt it. A qualifying law degree needs certain law modules, and I'm not aware of any universities which don't teach at least some in the first year.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Doubt it. A qualifying law degree needs certain law modules, and I'm not aware of any universities which don't teach at least some in the first year.

And if I tried from law to law with criminology? I saw that there are only two modules missing.

Well it depends how much choice you have in arranging the modules, I suppose... At Cambridge you can certainly switch into law and obtain a QLD over two years. You just do the core modules within those two years instead of over three, as it would usually be done.
Original post by deborarosa
Hey guys please give me some advice on which uni to firm. I didn't get into my firm and didn't want my insurance anymore so went into clearing. Got a place for Law at the uni of Essex and also Brighton uni for law and business. Which uni would you pick? In terms of quality and how good the areas are? I will be living on campus at either place I do pick. Thank you! Im leaning slightly towardsEssex more as it's higher placed in the rankings but still would love other honest opinions too. Thanks again- sorry for any typos

Essex has the better rep for me.
Anyone know when law postgrad courses tend to start? Would it be around the end of September/beginning of October or earlier? Just realised they will probably take longer processing my application because of Clearing and whatnot so getting a bit worried in case they take the full 8 weeks and I don't have a loan secured...
Does undergraduate degree play an important role in securing training contract after u've graduated? I am currently in a dilemma. My firm choice of university for 2015 entry is Warwick. I have scored 4A*s in a-level examinations. Contemplating over whether to take a gap year to reapply to Oxbridge, LSE,UCL .However, it is quite time-wasting. So should I just go to Warwick or should I take a gap year? Does Warwick = Oxbridge,UCL,LSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by callum_law
Essex has the better rep for me.

Yep I chose Essex. Its rated highly for social sciences /law so therefore the grad prospects should be higher. Also think the Uni would offer better opportunities even if Colchester isn't the nicest location lol. Thanks for the reply anyway!
Original post by Jiayicheng
Does undergraduate degree play an important role in securing training contract after u've graduated? I am currently in a dilemma. My firm choice of university for 2015 entry is Warwick. I have scored 4A*s in a-level examinations. Contemplating over whether to take a gap year to reapply to Oxbridge, LSE,UCL .However, it is quite time-wasting. So should I just go to Warwick or should I take a gap year? Does Warwick = Oxbridge,UCL,LSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it'd be better for you to either ask this in the careers forum, or ask on lawcareers.net or ROF or something. For what it's worth, I think the answer is it varies from firm to firm. Of the firms I've applied to, I know Slaughter & May in particular it probably matters a lot, since the application form literally just asks for a CV and cover letter and based off that alone they reject 75% of applicants, basically all of whom will have at least a 2.i, whereas Freeths specifically state that your university doesn't matter.

At the very least, Warwick is a good university. If the university you had firmed was Leeds Met or something, the answer would clearly be yes, do UCAS afresh (not just because of careers - you also wouldn't be challenged nearly as much); but with a strong RG uni I think it's very close personally - though it's worth noting that this year itself could strengthen your application considerably if you manage to find secretarial work in a law firm (most paralegal positions ask at least for an undergrad degree, a lot ask for the LPC and some - Baker & McKenzie, I'm looking at you - have started asking for qualified solicitors).
I think it'd be better for you to either ask this in the careers forum, or ask on lawcareers.net or ROF or something. For what it's worth, I think the answer is it varies from firm to firm. Of the firms I've applied to, I know Slaughter & May in particular it probably matters a lot, since the application form literally just asks for a CV and cover letter and based off that alone they reject 75% of applicants, basically all of whom will have at least a 2.i, whereas Freeths specifically state that your university doesn't matter.

At the very least, Warwick is a good university. If the university you had firmed was Leeds Met or something, the answer would clearly be yes, do UCAS afresh (not just because of careers - you also wouldn't be challenged nearly as much); but with a strong RG uni I think it's very close personally - though it's worth noting that this year itself could strengthen your application considerably if you manage to find secretarial work in a law firm (most paralegal positions ask at least for an undergrad degree, a lot ask for the LPC and some - Baker & McKenzie, I'm looking at you - have started asking for qualified solicitors).

Lmao. Seriously?

Oh dear god. I read something about that on FB and I thought that was a joke. It's sad how hard it's becoming just to get a paralegal job, especially where the salary is below £20,000.

Latest

Trending

Trending