The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by infairverona
I don't think they're doing any lectures or presentations :frown: they only take 2 trainees a year but they have very specific requirements about the area of law it is, and for once my strange, quite niche experience actually meets all of their criteria so I will definitely give it a go. I can't find anything about their salary or if they pay for the LPC either - I guess it's not appropriate to ask a trainee that anyway
Oh if that law firm hires only 2 trainees and does not have much information online, then it's best to meet the trainees at the careers fair - best to try to know their hiring process from the horse's mouth than to not try at all. Given that their intake is small, they may be overlooked by other students and you can speak to them longer.

There is nothing wrong with asking the trainee how much their pay is; chances are, they won't be offended either and they will probably laugh it off if you're equally humorous and diplomatic. Also, ask them if their firm has any open days/special events - you never know what you could get!
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Oh if that law firm hires only 2 trainees and does not have much information online, then it's best to meet the trainees at the careers fair - best to try to know their hiring process from the horse's mouth than to not try at all. Given that their intake is small, they may be overlooked by other students and you can speak to them longer.

There is nothing wrong with asking the trainee how much their pay is; chances are, they won't be offended either and they will probably laugh it off if you're equally humorous and diplomatic. Also, ask them if their firm has any open days/special events - you never know what you could get!

Trouble is I couldn't get to the fair and it's already been :frown: they have enough information that I could do a decent application I think. It's the only firm I've found that is actually perfectly suited to my education and employment experience. I have noticed that a good chunk of their trainees were paralegals there first though, and unfortunately I can't afford to take a pay cut to be a paralegal so going to have to just hope for a good application!
Trouble is I couldn't get to the fair and it's already been :frown: they have enough information that I could do a decent application I think. It's the only firm I've found that is actually perfectly suited to my education and employment experience. I have noticed that a good chunk of their trainees were paralegals there first though, and unfortunately I can't afford to take a pay cut to be a paralegal so going to have to just hope for a good application!
No harm asking graduate recruitment your questions. I asked about 8 firms the same question and all of them did get back to me within a few days - I don't think they'll hold it against you if they see your application after you've asked them how much they pay.
No harm asking graduate recruitment your questions. I asked about 8 firms the same question and all of them did get back to me within a few days - I don't think they'll hold it against you if they see your application after you've asked them how much they pay.

How did you phrase it? The thing for me is I'm in a good job with a very good salary, so while it's not about the money I do have financial commitments for the next couple of years. Also seeing as I graduated a year and a half ago I don't reeeeally want to take a pay cut to train unless I have to - if I liked everything else and they paid for the LPC I probably would, depending on how much the pay cut is. But I don't want to come across as all about the money, it's not like that. What question did you ask the firms if you don't mind me asking?
How did you phrase it? The thing for me is I'm in a good job with a very good salary, so while it's not about the money I do have financial commitments for the next couple of years. Also seeing as I graduated a year and a half ago I don't reeeeally want to take a pay cut to train unless I have to - if I liked everything else and they paid for the LPC I probably would, depending on how much the pay cut is. But I don't want to come across as all about the money, it's not like that. What question did you ask the firms if you don't mind me asking?
"[After introduction] I was looking on your website for information on ____ but could not find anything on it. Would it be possible for you to tell me if ______?"

I asked about work visa sponsorships.
"[After introduction] I was looking on your website for information on ____ but could not find anything on it. Would it be possible for you to tell me if ______?"

I asked about work visa sponsorships.

Ah perfect thank you, I think I will do that. I really wanted to go because I wanted to ask what their hours are like (I must sound awful - I work in the public sector so very much 9-5 with flexi time, decent salary with guaranteed yearly increase haha) and about the work life balance. They only have one trainee's experience on the site. Do you think meeting trainees helped you a lot with getting a TC and did you reference it on your application?
Ah perfect thank you, I think I will do that. I really wanted to go because I wanted to ask what their hours are like (I must sound awful - I work in the public sector so very much 9-5 with flexi time, decent salary with guaranteed yearly increase haha) and about the work life balance. They only have one trainee's experience on the site. Do you think meeting trainees helped you a lot with getting a TC and did you reference it on your application?
I can't accurately say that meeting trainees helped me get my TC, precisely because I didn't speak to any trainees from that firm prior to being offered a TC. Nevertheless, getting knowledge of other firms (especially your desired firm's competitors) would be really useful in understanding the general business of law firms.

However, I'm sure interacting with them (in a non-careers fair setting) as much as possible would certainly be of use to them. At a firm I interned at, a trainee offered to help me in my application, so I guess that helped a great deal - I got past the online application and phone interview stages but withdrew my application after that. And at an informal post-TC offer lunch with trainees, they were extremely candid (and they had drunk only 1 bottle of wine!) about the firm, partners, and work, and even made some outrageous comments about other firms' culture and work.

So I think your best bet is to corner lawyers in a pub on a Friday night.
Original post by Forum User
Anybody know a lot about tax?

Was having a discussion earlier today about the rationale behind s 39(2) TCGA 1992, which was originally enacted as Sch 6 Para 3(2) Finance Act 1965, (the Act which introduced CGT). On the face of it, it seems quite harsh given that it disallows deducting revenue expenditure from gains when computing CGT, even if that revenue expenditure has not been deducted from Income Tax because the asset was not being used in any trade.

The best I could come up with was that it was intended to act as an incentive to property developers to rent out their properties rather than leaving them vacant. If they left them vacant they couldn't deduct the cost of repair or maintenance anywhere, but if they rented them out, they could deduct the cost of repair and maintenance under the Income Tax Acts (now ITTOIA 2005). And that might have been a genuine issue in 1965, since Rent Acts were still in force and so landlords might gain from leaving property vacant and accumulating capital gains rather than allowing in a tenant protected by Rent Acts.

Read the debate on Amendment 280

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1965/jul/08/schedule-6-capital-gains-computation

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find that? I spent ages looking through Hansard last night!
Anybody here considering becoming a legal executive?

Original post by Lord Jon
So I hath returned for second year and bare gifts!!

Lots of reading for land law as well as equity and trusts :tongue:

Just begun second year a well! So far I'm really loving Land Law, tort isn't so bad either :tongue:
Original post by Forum User
How did you find that? I spent ages looking through Hansard last night!

Always easier when you are looking for verification of something you think you already know.

I knew why CGT was created and that accordingly allowing revenue expenditure would be contrary to that purpose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Anybody here considering becoming a legal executive?

Just begun second year a well! So far I'm really loving Land Law, tort isn't so bad either :tongue:

So taking it in two parts:

I did Tort as a first year module. (Birkbeck is a strange uni...) and even though I hated it at the time, I miss it now!! :frown: :frown:. It just so happens the lecturer is a top bloke! As for land we might be in the minority lol, most of my friends find it dull but so far it'll be one of my faves yet.

Legal executives? - I spoke to a bloke on my course who is taking his degree part time and he's been a legal exec for a fair few years. He can't recommend it highly enough as an alternative. I'm considering it too.

How you finding the degree so far? What's the plan after :tongue:
I'm currently writing down an email to a uni tutor about a reference. Should I mention that I'm applying to Graduate Medicine next year or just mention that I want to apply to jobs in healthcare?

I don't want her to think I didn't like Law because I did but I think some people think I'm changing paths because I hated it.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I'm currently writing down an email to a uni tutor about a reference. Should I mention that I'm applying to Graduate Medicine next year or just mention that I want to apply to jobs in healthcare?

I don't want her to think I didn't like Law because I did but I think some people think I'm changing paths because I hated it.

Well, do you want to use her as a reference when you apply for GEM? Because if so she'll find out anyway.

I'd just be honest.

edit: your sig does kinda suggest you didn't like it

Tell her - a reference for a uni course is different to one for jobs, and one for medicine is different to one for healthcare assistant. If you don't tell her she won't know how to pitch it. You could even tell her why you're applying and so get over the whole "didn't like law" thing - not that it matters anyway, who cares if they think you didn't like law?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Well, do you want to use her as a reference when you apply for GEM? Because if so she'll find out anyway.

I'd just be honest.

edit: your sig does kinda suggest you didn't like it

I was thinking of. Although I'm thinking of emailing another tutor who I feel might be somewhat more receptive and tbh she knew me better.

Lol, I haven't edited that since my first year. It got a lot better towards the second and third year because I was starting to accept law just wasn't for me. My sigs are hidden so I haven't seen it in a long time!

Original post by Ethereal
Tell her - a reference for a uni course is different to one for jobs, and one for medicine is different to one for healthcare assistant. If you don't tell her she won't know how to pitch it. You could even tell her why you're applying and so get over the whole "didn't like law" thing - not that it matters anyway, who cares if they think you didn't like law?

I'm not planning on a uni reference yet but one for jobs. I'm going to start applying within the next few weeks.

Would it be okay to mention that I'm currently undecided about my future but sure that I want to work in healthcare and thus am applying to healthcare assistant and phlebotomist jobs?

I feel like I'm betraying Law lmao.

I feel like I'm betraying Law lmao.

Go forth and betray it
Original post by Ethereal
Go forth and betray it

:biggrin: Will do!
Anyone from here going to the Shearman and Sterling Women in Law conference next week? :smile:
Reply 8199
The accepted view of theconstitutional role of the judiciary ignores the potential for judicialcreativity ... and the extent to which the judiciary have a measure ofdiscretion and creative power in the manner in which they interpret thelegislation before them.” [Slapper and Kelly, (2012) The English Legal System,(13th edition, Routledge), p.91]Discuss theabove statement with particular reference to relevant examples and cases

i dont understand what i need to do , can anyone help because am really screwed
plsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Latest

Trending

Trending