The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
I think you have to understand that traditionally law A level was not not encouraged for students wishing to read law at university. Moreover TSR has an unusually high number of members attending private schools and very high performing state VIth forms whilst law A level tends to be only on offer at VIth form colleges. That means that many of the younger forum members are not equipped to have a technical discussion about law at all.

Moreover teaching to the test has become engrained in the English educational system which means that there is mentality of closing out the irrelevant. University applicants say, because they effectively have to say, that they are interested in law, but few of them really are. They are perhaps interested in being lawyers, but generally have no spirit of enquiry about law itself.

I understand. Thanks for educating me. Repped you accordingly. What you said which I've bolded above, is true. They don't want to talk about

what makes up AR and MR

whether the 1861 OAPA is in urgent need of reform

the differences between S18, S20 and S47

All they want to talk about is

reputation and rankings of unis for the LLB

magic circle firms

I have a question. Can tort be adequately covered in a month to do well for the paper in the exam?
Original post by Audrey18
Can tort be adequately covered in a month to do well for the paper in the exam?

I don't really know what your exam is. Is 'tort' 'negligence'? If so, yes, you can probably cover it to a decent standard in about ten hours of work. If 'tort' is 'negligence including pure economic loss, nuisance, trespass, economic torts, tort liability of public bodies, tort theory, and whatever else we can think of', it'd be a big big stretch. Could you post a link to your syllabus?

For now, we only want to discuss about magic circle firms, reputation and rankings of unis etc'.

We will make sweeping statements about how good or bad a uni is for it's law course even though we've neither physically visited the uni nor met any of its lecturers or students.

We will simply echo what an uncle, aunty has told us over lunch the other weekend or what some anonymous person said on another website

I guess my mentor was right. Different societies, different mentalities.

you'll also get those in this thread...
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
I don't really know what your exam is. Is 'tort' 'negligence'? If so, yes, you can probably cover it to a decent standard in about ten hours of work. If 'tort' is 'negligence including pure economic loss, nuisance, trespass, economic torts, tort liability of public bodies, tort theory, and whatever else we can think of', it'd be a big big stretch. Could you post a link to your syllabus?

hi thanks for the reply. this is the link. look at page 17.
http://www.cie.org.uk/images/164522-2016-syllabus.pdf

sample of how the questions look like.
http://theallpapers.com/papers/CIE/AS_and_ALevel/Law%20(9084)/9084_s11_ms_42.pdf

Original post by Ethereal
you'll also get those in this thread...

thanks for the heads up. I'll just ignore them then.
hi thanks for the reply. this is the link. look at page 17.
http://www.cie.org.uk/images/164522-2016-syllabus.pdf

sample of how the questions look like.
http://theallpapers.com/papers/CIE/AS_and_ALevel/Law%20(9084)/9084_s11_ms_42.pdf

Hm. I'd say difficult, but manageable, probably - if you're working to tight deadlines, be prepared to work some long hours early on just in case. Do you a reading list or anything I could take a look at to give a more detailed response?
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Hm. I'd say difficult, but manageable, probably - if you're working to tight deadlines, be prepared to work some long hours early on just in case. Do you a reading list or anything I could take a look at to give a more detailed response?

i'll be using this book. I'l be starting tort in April. My exams will be in end of May.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tort-Law-Catherine-Elliott/dp/1408286378
i'll be using this book. I'l be starting tort in April. My exams will be in end of May.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tort-Law-Catherine-Elliott/dp/1408286378

Oh if you're just using a textbook and not reading cases/academic literature you can do your primary learning in 3-4 days if you hustle.
Hi guys, just running a survey and wondered if you could answer some or all of the questions on it? Cheers x

Which university are you at and what's the course title? ·
How did you find the transition from A-Levels toa Law degree in terms of workload and difficulty?
How difficult is it to develop the new skillsneeded to study law (eg analytical skills)·
If you take a language alongside the Law course, does it actually just give you more work?·
What do you enjoy most/least about the degree?·
What do you like most/least about theuniversity?·
What is the hardest thing about studying Law?·
What is a typical day like for a law student?·
What are the main skills that a Law student wouldideally possess?
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for your positive reply. It is really refreshing to see your post unlike the catalogue of previous ones which screamed

I'm on easier boards (which some users admitted publicly on here after seeing the questions I posted above)

I don't want to discuss Cambridge International Exam (CIE) A-level law paper questions until I get to uni even though those questions are similar to uni style ones

Stop pestering us

Quit making us feel uncomfortable

Please go away

For now, we only want to discuss about magic circle firms, reputation and rankings of unis etc'.

We will make sweeping statements about how good or bad a uni is for it's law course even though we've neither physically visited the uni nor met any of its lecturers or students.

We will simply echo what an uncle, aunty has told us over lunch the other weekend or what some anonymous person said on another website.

LOL!

Regarding your question, we have to answer 3 out of 5 questions in 90 mins. Till now, no one has actually attempted any of the questions I posted. I asked myself, 'what then is the purpose of this forum if people want to ridicule me and the choice of my exam board but disappear from attempting the questions I so kindly provided which I had to type out word for word given that they have not been made available for download'.

I guess my mentor was right. Different societies, different mentalities.

What?! Did people ridicule you because you are doing CIE A levels? LOL honestly, they have no idea, CIE is the hardest!

And btw you are definitely not required to read any secondary literature to do well (their marking standard is not as harsh as uni)- I got an A* in CIE law without reading any academic articles
Why did this thread die :frown:
Original post by infairverona
Why did this thread die :frown:

No idea, but to reignite it... here comes a slacker.

1 week to revise for all my final year exams next week. 7 days, 3 subjects. What have I got myself into?!Brb. Writing a 3500 word essay tonight (Sunday), then locking myself in the library for 16 hours a day for next 7 days. Need 61 to finish on a 2:1, oops.Anyone in the same position or been there, done that?
Original post by ZolaCFC25
No idea, but to reignite it... here comes a slacker.

1 week to revise for all my final year exams next week. 7 days, 3 subjects. What have I got myself into?!Brb. Writing a 3500 word essay tonight (Sunday), then locking myself in the library for 16 hours a day for next 7 days. Need 61 to finish on a 2:1, oops.Anyone in the same position or been there, done that?

Is selective revision possible for your exam format? If so I reckon you can still do well
Is selective revision possible for your exam format? If so I reckon you can still do well

Yeah, they've advised us which topics to omit for Torts, Equity and Land (last of which is the following week). Something like 5 out of 8 topics for each are necessary. EU is open book.

I've had lots of issues which meant I've been really unmotivated but hopefully can still pull it out of the bag. Exams are Mon/Tues/Weds then one then Land the following Monday.
Yeah, they've advised us which topics to omit for Torts, Equity and Land (last of which is the following week). Something like 5 out of 8 topics for each are necessary. EU is open book.

I've had lots of issues which meant I've been really unmotivated but hopefully can still pull it out of the bag. Exams are Mon/Tues/Weds then one then Land the following Monday.

How many questions do you have to do? I would still not revise the whole 5, or I'd pick say Tort and Land to focus on and let Equity slide (not ideal but I really hated Equity :biggrin:) If EU is open book try to just make some crib sheets with key cases etc on, you still don't wanna be flicking through a book the whole exam, it's a waste of essay writing time. Or take in one of those 'question and answer' books idk. if you're just aiming for 61 that should suffice
How many questions do you have to do? I would still not revise the whole 5, or I'd pick say Tort and Land to focus on and let Equity slide (not ideal but I really hated Equity :biggrin:) If EU is open book try to just make some crib sheets with key cases etc on, you still don't wanna be flicking through a book the whole exam, it's a waste of essay writing time. Or take in one of those 'question and answer' books idk. if you're just aiming for 61 that should suffice

I think it's 3 or 4 questions for each exam out of around 6. 8 topics, generally. Hence why they suggest revising 5-6.

Mon - Equity
Tues - Torts
Weds - EU
Following Monday - Land
All at 1pm.

So i've got 4 days exclusively for Land which should be fine.

For EU, I'm going to do as you say - maybe spend a day just getting stuff together.
Then that leaves 3 days for Torts and Equity each, plus last minute morning stuff.
I think it's 3 or 4 questions for each exam out of around 6. 8 topics, generally. Hence why they suggest revising 5-6.

Mon - Equity
Tues - Torts
Weds - EU
Following Monday - Land
All at 1pm.

So i've got 4 days exclusively for Land which should be fine.

For EU, I'm going to do as you say - maybe spend a day just getting stuff together.
Then that leaves 3 days for Torts and Equity each, plus last minute morning stuff.

That's a gross timetable. Land will be fine then and EU is open book so focus on Equity and Tort?
That's a gross timetable. Land will be fine then and EU is open book so focus on Equity and Tort?

Yeah think I need to devote 3 full days to each, plus last minute overnight. Guess that's the plan. Write, I'll knock off this essay tonight on Human Rights, prepare EU notes tomorrow, then 3 days each for those 2. :smile:
Yeah think I need to devote 3 full days to each, plus last minute overnight. Guess that's the plan. Write, I'll knock off this essay tonight on Human Rights, prepare EU notes tomorrow, then 3 days each for those 2. :smile:

I guess it depends how much work you've done through the year. I really hated Equity, didn't like Land and I thought Tort was ok but I was still lazy. Passed them all and got a 2.1 in Tort, all I did was use those revision guides that everyone says is crap. So if you've got some base knowledge and you're ok at cramming, you can definitely get 61
I guess it depends how much work you've done through the year. I really hated Equity, didn't like Land and I thought Tort was ok but I was still lazy. Passed them all and got a 2.1 in Tort, all I did was use those revision guides that everyone says is crap. So if you've got some base knowledge and you're ok at cramming, you can definitely get 61

What did you finish with overall? I've got this human rights essay too that is so hard. Bracing myself for a 2:2 :frown:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey can anyone help me out?

I have a presentation (no more than 4 minutes) to do and it's to advise a client.

The information given is in the picture attached.

What are things that I should consider? I know this isn't particularly difficult but when revising for so many exams it's easy for ones brain to become fried!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.image.jpeg

Latest

Trending

Trending