The Student Room Group
I never understood the need for those.. it really can't be easier to get someone to do sign language than to put subtitles on.. Also subtitles can say *glass shattering* etc. Whereas that person can't..
They would need the option of not having the person signing in the corner.

Also, I agree with DlightSwitch. They should have subtitles as an option. I thought programmes already did, by the way. Sometimes my Mum has had a phonecall and has muted the TV and put on subtitles.
No change needed in TV.
I think it should be like the subtitles in that you can switch it on/ off, I'm all for that sort of system.
Reply 4
For the 99.9% who aren't deaf the small person would be a source of perpetual annoyance.
Besides there are subtitles now for nearly every programme.

I agree about the meaningless 3am programmes with provided sign language, it's just a token gesture.
Reply 5
all deafs are nocturnal they need it
Reply 6
Margaret Thatcher
All forms of television and cinema should include the small person in the corner that provides sign language for the deaf community.

Why should deaf people not be able to enjoy all forms of television and cinema to the full?

Why should they have to settle for a few **** programmes on at 3am that provide sign language.

If they tried harder and learned to lip read all this would not be an issue. :fyi:
Reply 7
Has anyone ever seen the signer people on the music channels at night? It's ******* hilarious!
Also, in cinemas they have those induction loops so people can tune in their hearing aids into them if they aren't completely deaf. There's lots of provision made for deaf people but obviously because it's not the norm it's not going to be so obvious.
What about blind people? As well as the sign language for those who can't read, subtitles for those who don't know sign and then the voice over for the blind :h:
Deaf people can read subtitles, stop patronising the deaf.
Reply 11
AtlasWall
For the 99.9% who aren't deaf the small person would be a source of perpetual annoyance.
Besides there are subtitles now for nearly every programme.

I agree about the meaningless 3am programmes with provided sign language, it's just a token gesture.

Agreed. Can you imainge having a person taking up about 1/3 of the screen for every program and film, when there's a tiny minority who are deaf? If there's a choice (like with subtitles) then go for it - but having everyone sign every program will be expensive.

Subtitles are good enough, people (deaf or not) still use them, so they can't be that bad.
Subtitles.

Latest

Trending

Trending