The Student Room Group

Not so much with the fresher's week...

Anyone else feel like they're not really getting into Fresher's week?

I'm not lazy or anti-social or anything but I really don't feel like I have energy to get really involved. I live half an hours train journey away from uni, so it takes a bit of planning to get there in evenings, but that's not the problem - I think maybe I'm just not that sort of person - I don't seem to be enjoying it, but my friends are totally living it up! :eek:

Does anyone feel the same, or is it just me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't want to do the all night partying every night either :frown: I'm supposed to drss up as something beginning with M tonight and I can't see the point.
Reply 2
Yeah I know what you mean. I think this week is misleading..at least the whole 'freshers week' myth is anyway. Yeah I've got drunk every night and met loads of people but thats just it...you're busy meeting people and adjusting. I think that after you're settled in, and you know where the good bars and clubs are and you're comfortable with the independance you'll be able to enjoy it to the full. In the meantime I'm going to finish this wine. Woo!
Juno
I don't want to do the all night partying every night either :frown: I'm supposed to drss up as something beginning with M tonight and I can't see the point.

Me neither. I'm not going to the 'M' thing tonight (Legless @ Lenton!) though, but the other parties this week don't sound like my cuppa tea lol
Reply 4
Although i'm not a fresher, I haven't been out once this Fresher's week! Really isn't my sort of thing!

Everyone is different, don't feel like your weird just because you don't follow the crowd :smile:
Reply 5
nikk
Although i'm not a fresher, I haven't been out once this Fresher's week! Really isn't my sort of thing!

Everyone is different, don't feel like your weird just because you don't follow the crowd :smile:

It only seemed like the other day when you were posting about moving into halls! :eek:
Reply 6
-Sian-
Me neither. I'm not going to the 'M' thing tonight (Legless @ Lenton!) though, but the other parties this week don't sound like my cuppa tea lol

I prefer coffee
:rolleyes: :biggrin:

Everyone is making so much noiseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Reply 8
Someone was sick on our stairs, and although it's been cleaned up it still smells. And I'm right at the top, which is a lot of stairs to climb. And I have asthma, so can't not breathe. And it smells!
I went out once during Freshers' Week.It wasn't the party I was expecting.I was,like you,too god damned tired to go out,especially as I had been kept up half the night every night by inconsiderate people with obscenely loud music.
honestly im sick of drunks yelling outside my window all nite, n on top of that i really dont enjoy the parties theve had, i dont lke drinkin till im wasted but that seems to be the goal, so basically its a bit boring... hope u guys kno what i mean, coz its starrting to make me feel like im a wierdo....
Reply 11
It's annoying how people expect Fresher's week to have to be so loud and partying into the night! I reckon you don't need excess booze and nonstop party to have fun! It's okay when it happens, but it shouldn't be the only thing Freshers week is!
im hopin it means erbody blows their cash then they'll shut up... :smile: :smile: :smile:
i feel sorry for u mate, i had loads fun in Goldsmiths lol
i know how ya lot feel.

I'm at Notts too (Lincoln).
Lets see...
Monday night, went to Funked Up@Ocean, met this mate, we had a great time, ended up walking back to uni doing a pub hunt, was great. He wasn't really into the whole clubbing thing either, and he preferred just randomly chatting n stuff.
This evening, M@Mode. I thought we were doing the Jungle@SB, so I hadn't planned for M@Mode. So I quickly make up a Monk outfit, pretty ghetto but still.
10mins before the bus, I'm putting contact lenses in. manage to have one fold over in my eye, spend 20mins trying to get it out. Fail. (They should come out easily).
Decide to go to QMC Univ Hospital, turns out its split into two! They get it out and I'm a-ok.
One problem, I've missed bus, I have a major blister on my foot, and quite frankly, I'm not massively into the parties. Especially not fancy dress.
EVERYONE else here is down at Mode, and I'm feeling pretty lonely, and tbh, s**t (excuse my language), cause I'm deaf, and find it hard in social situations to follow, which is pretty much the 'glue' of Uni :frown: - One to one chats, like I was last night, I'm fine with, and can be very talkative. I'm a pretty sociable guy, its just so hard for me to fit it :cry:

All I want is random chats with people, perhaps watch a movie, chat, have some drinks n stuff in a random persons room with a small group.

So yeah, feeling bad atm!
Reply 15
errrr

thats pretty wierd

i spotted the contact lense thing - so i thought ahh yeah i know that pain, a split contact lens hurts like an absolute.. well u know

then i saw ur at notts, im going notts trent on sat

and im half deaf so i can recognise ur problem with the hearing thing

so maybe ur me.
Alas, anyone who doesn't make all their friends during the first week will go the next three years with zero social contact, and ultimately fail not just university but life itself. Or not, as the case may be.
Freshers Week... it's OK but nothing special. I mean yeah there's all the drinking andmeeting people etc. but it's nothing special. Then again, I'm an old fresher (being 20), and I sort of get a "seen it, done it" feeling when it comes to all this. I think the "OMG liek freshers! Lots of alcohol! Amazing!" vibe is more for the fresh-out-of-school freshers who still have that nervous/excited buzz about them. I was happy about coming to Uni, and I love it, but I wasn't "excited" the way that some (mostly younger) people are... so it all just seemed a bit over the top. Give me 15 - 20 people that I know and like and a bottle of Jack over a union full of screaming teenagers any day :p:
Ferret_messiah
Alas, anyone who doesn't make all their friends during the first week will go the next three years with zero social contact, and ultimately fail not just university but life itself. Or not, as the case may be.

Meh, actually it's more like you meet loads of people and think they're friends, but then after a few weeks realise that you don't actually like them very much but they keep following you around anyway and you can't ditch 'em because that would be "too shallow".
It gets better. Honestly. Although I did make friends in freshers week, its quite hard to have the time of your life in a new place with new people and a totally different way of life. I've got lots of friends now, some of whom I met in freshers week and others who I've met since- you'll definitely make friends, so don't worry about it! Concentrate on relaxing and getting used to things, start conversations with people if you're stood anywhere, and chat to people who live near you/are on your course- good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending