The Student Room Group

Astronomy?

Is anyone here into astronomy? I've been getting into it a little bit, but I can never seem to tune my 'scope in properly - probably too cheap, but I figured it would be OK to start with, was only £50 or so.

Would anyone be able to advise me, maybe poke me towards a website or a book, or share some experiences?

Also, where (near Blackpool) might I be able to see the best? I've read that we should be able to see the Milky Way everywhere but the most severely light polluted cities - yet I've never seen it. Where would be a good place to look?
This rather depressing map shows you where you're likely to see the milky way. Basically, the darker it is, the more full the sky will be.

Go into the pennines for a few days with your binoculars or telescope and see what's out there. I'm ashamed to say I've never seen the galactic core, hoping to rectify that when I go to deserted northern Finland :biggrin:
You can't focus your telescope?? How odd.

If you are just starting, binoculars are better than a telescope anyway. 7 x 50 or 10 x 50 are suitable.

You just need your eyes and a reasonably dark sky to see the Milky Way. Do you have a big park locally?
Reply 3
I always wanted to get into it as a kid but living just outside of London it seemed pretty ******* futile.

That and mummy and daddy were dicks and wouldn't buy me a £5,000 telescope.
Tootles
Is anyone here into astronomy? I've been getting into it a little bit, but I can never seem to tune my 'scope in properly - probably too cheap, but I figured it would be OK to start with, was only £50 or so.

Would anyone be able to advise me, maybe poke me towards a website or a book, or share some experiences?

Also, where (near Blackpool) might I be able to see the best? I've read that we should be able to see the Milky Way everywhere but the most severely light polluted cities - yet I've never seen it. Where would be a good place to look?

I love astronomy and all things to do with space. It was great to be able to do some astrophysics modules at university.

When I first saw the Milky Way it was awsome and just like people describe it to be...there were so many stars and light...really amazing.

So you just need to get out in the middle of nowhere - the countryside away from roads and street lights or a beach that isn't overlooked by a town (I saw it in Scarborough's north bay when on the beach at midnight.

Good luck with telescope - sorry I can't offer any advice as I've never had a prpoper one other than the childrens one I had years ago. I'd like to get one, but it's a bit pointless when living in the middle of Brighton meaning I could hardly ever use it :frown:
Reply 5
Aphotic Cosmos
This rather depressing map shows you where you're likely to see the milky way. Basically, the darker it is, the more full the sky will be.

Go into the pennines for a few days with your binoculars or telescope and see what's out there. I'm ashamed to say I've never seen the galactic core, hoping to rectify that when I go to deserted northern Finland :biggrin:

Aww, nuts. Looks like I've either to go out to sea or up to Scotland.

Either that, or can I come to Finland with you?

:woo:
Tootles
Aww, nuts. Looks like I've either to go out to sea or up to Scotland.

Either that, or can I come to Finland with you?

:woo:

If you can stand -40C winters, and I presume you can because you're from the North (:teehee:), you're welcome to come :biggrin:
Reply 7
Aphotic Cosmos
If you can stand -40C winters, and I presume you can because you're from the North (:teehee:), you're welcome to come :biggrin:

broman, I'll probably have ERASMUS!!213 questions for you at some point about going to Denmark, but not now. Not now.
Reply 8
I have been reading about it recently, but I don't have enough money for a telescope.
Reply 9
Aphotic Cosmos
If you can stand -40C winters, and I presume you can because you're from the North (), you're welcome to come :biggrin:
Well we get -10 in the depth of Winter, where I'm from. I can get long undies and a thick coat :smile:
Tootles

I just loved astronomy.... But the city I live in is crowded with high rising buildings and it is impossible to find a clear stretch of sky... Moreover I never had the money to buy equipments... So, no I am inclined towards Cosmology.. Where much less observation is needed,,,,

Latest

Trending

Trending