The Student Room Group

Worried About College

Dont know why I am making this thread, guess its just procrastination.

Is anybody worried about starting College? Im going to start in roughly a week and I am literally ******** myself.
Its not from the educational point of view (I got that covered) its more from the social perspective.

I am really worried about my first impressions, the way people perceive me for the first 5 minutes will affect me for the next 2 years. Which really worries me.
Just calm down, and take it in your stride. There will always be a large majority who don't know too many/if any people. Just introduce yourself, find some common ground and see how it goes.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
I know exactly how you feel.
I'm feeling exactly the same! I started on wednesday and really not liking it.
But I'm the only one out of everyone I know so don't worry! Just try your hardest to not let your insecurities take over and you'll be fine! Everyone is in the same situation and everyone are surrounded by people they don't know. Let your guard down and try to enjoy it!
(I feel like such a hypocrite hahaha)

But honestly, don't worry! It'll all work out.
:smile:
Just be friendly and approachable!
There will be many awkward silences which is to be expected; you put a group of strangers into a room together, there is always going to be uncomfortable silences and stuff. But don't worry about that, just say what you're thinking if you think of something funny to break the ice. Don't worry about what other people will think as they're more likely going to talk back or laugh because they're feeling just as insecure.

Just don't be one of those people who never say anything. Honestly, people do pick up on those things.

But groups shift all the time in the first few weeks of college, so don't think that everything you do now will affect you in a years time. A lot of the people just hang out with others just so they have someone to sit with at lunch, but as they/you become more confident and find out the personalities of other people you'll end up just finding a group that you feel comfortable with.

But speak up and let your voice be heard. If you don't understand something that the teacher is saying, then ask them to explain because the chances are is that everyone else doesn't understand either but is afraid to ask.

Latest