The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would ring UCAS up to find out. But, I don't see how they would know to be honest.
Reply 2
OK, in that case I will get in contact with them and find out. Any other opinions?
Reply 3
Not if you apply to different universities and courses.
Yes they can - you will get the same UCAS ID with a different scheme id. As to whether they can retrieve old applications from UCAS you'll have to ask them, but I am under the impression that they can - it would make sense as they should be able to check for deception.
Reply 5
Age will be an indicator.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
I did the same thing, and I don't recall mentioning anything about it in my personal statement- I guess your credentials as it were will speak for themselves, and if it matters and they wanna know about it they'll ask. But if you wanna disregard my advice and play it on the safe side then no worries, I probably would!
Reply 7
AnonymousPenguin
Yes they can - you will get the same UCAS ID with a different scheme id. As to whether they can retrieve old applications from UCAS you'll have to ask them, but I am under the impression that they can - it would make sense as they should be able to check for deception.

What do you mean by this?
Retrospect
Different course, different universities.

Question - are universities able to see if I have applied before during the previous UCAS cycle? I'm asking because I am not sure whether I need to justify my change of course/reapplication in my personal statement.

Bit of a silly question, perhaps, but I'd appreciate if anyone could confirm whether this is or isn't possible.

Thanks. :smile:

When you are registering for UCAS apply you will get this question :

We would like to know if you have previously applied. The UCAS Card option is no longer applicable so please choose one of the other options below.

a)I applied last year and know my Personal ID number

b)I have a current UCAS Card (no longer applicable)

c)I have neither of the above

Choose C) and they won't know that you applied in the previous cycle.:smile:
Reply 9
Retrospect
Different course, different universities.

Question - are universities able to see if I have applied before during the previous UCAS cycle? I'm asking because I am not sure whether I need to justify my change of course/reapplication in my personal statement.

Bit of a silly question, perhaps, but I'd appreciate if anyone could confirm whether this is or isn't possible.

Thanks. :smile:

in hindsight Retrospect when u start to apply in 2011 for example its treated as new UCAS application by UCAS and in answer to what you asked no.Universities cant see where u applied before during the pervious application cycle.
Reply 10
pranay_sinha

Thanks for the reply (and to everyone else who has taken the time to). So in the case of the third option I would be given a new UCAS ID?

I don't particularly mind them knowing that I've been through UCAS before, I have nothing to hide. I just don't want it counting against me for whatever reason. Will just have to decide after calling UCAS/starting the application. :smile:
Retrospect
What do you mean by this?

I don't really know what they might want to look for, but they could look at details strangely changing between personal statements or someone trying to cheat the fee status or something else. All of these threads are by people really concerned that unis will see their previous app - if they did something really dubious it will be visible.
pranay_sinha

Apparently even if you choose C UCAS will use your name and birthdate to match up all your applications.
Reply 13
AnonymousPenguin
I don't really know what they might want to look for, but they could look at details strangely changing between personal statements or someone trying to cheat the fee status or something else. All of these threads are by people really concerned that unis will see their previous app - if they did something really dubious it will be visible.

Lol, okay. :p: For me it's a worry that that universities may think I am less committed or indecisive or whatever. I submitted a good application last year and received offers, just for a different course.

And I think you're right about them matching up applications regardless. They need to for the personal statement, for example, so that they don't accuse you of plagiarism for submitting the same personal statement (or aspects of it) twice.
Retrospect
Thanks for the reply (and to everyone else who has taken the time to). So in the case of the third option I would be given a new UCAS ID?

I don't particularly mind them knowing that I've been through UCAS before, I have nothing to hide. I just don't want it counting against me for whatever reason. Will just have to decide after calling UCAS/starting the application. :smile:

yes,you will be issued a new UCAS ID .......however they may just know that you have applied in the last cycle if you gave them your passport details.I know for a fact that in february 2010 all international students(including me) got a prompt when they logged into ucas track,requesting their passport number.
just call UCAS at 0871 468 0 468 on monday and clarify.:smile:
Reply 15
The majority of applicants 19-22 will have applied before I think.
(edited 3 years ago)
When you will join UCAS they will ask you if you have applied before.
Also..as you probably know UCAS has statistics and data on everything when it comes to application so they can easily find out that you have applied before but I would not be that nervous because of this.
Reply 17
pranay_sinha
yes,you will be issued a new UCAS ID

No, you get the same UCAS ID.

Even if you choose the C option, UCAS will be able to match up your applications. They're not stupid. You would have to change everything - because even a date of birth and a name matching would tell them. But if you change your name you won't be able to go to uni as you'll have no qualifications under the new name and you won't be able to prove the name change.

But just because UCAS will see the old application does not mean unis will.
Juno
No, you get the same UCAS ID.

I highly doubt it.Anyways Im thinking of reapplying myself in the next few days so then I will know for sure.:cool:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1403146
pranay_sinha
I highly doubt it.Anyways Im thinking of reapplying myself in the next few days so then I will know for sure.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1403146

I don't see how that link shows your point. Anyway, think of the possible abuse of deferred offers if someone could just select C and UCAS would have no idea they applied before.

Latest

Trending

Trending