The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 1
Hey there, I'm doing History too. Are you just doing straight history or a dual degree? If you're doing straight I'm in the same boat. Here is my understanding of the process.

You need to complete 120 credits worth of modules by the end of the year. 20 of these credits are used up by the module "Paths from Antiquity to Modernity" which you must take if you do history. You also have to choose another history module out of the others on offer, which will be worth another 20 credits. These are the compulsory requirements they stipulate you must adhere to. These two modules take up 40 credits, leaving you with 80 credits to fill.

Now, each of the 6 history modules are worth 20 credits, so if you take them all, you have your 120 allotment and that is fine. However, the department can allow you to choose from a list of other modules in different departments to make up the remaining 80. You might have an email today telling you these modules, I received one myself. The sort of modules you can choose from range from Archaeology to Languages to Philosophy.

Another point, the University advises you split your credits 60:60 in each semester. You have an Autumn semester and a Spring semester. The history modules on offer are split evenly with 3 in the Autumn and 3 in the Spring. This offers a lot of flexibility if you want to choose modules from outside the department. I am looking at taking 2 History and 1 Archaeology module in each semester, which will give me my full 120. Of course, you can experiment and see what you want to do.

Hopefully you will have received something through the post explaining some of this or an email. Either way, you need to choose your History modules by the end of Sunday I believe. You then choose your other modules (If you want to use credits in other modules) on the 21st and 22nd when you are at the University.

I hope the info above is useful. If anyone can add anything I've missed, that'd be great.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
I was really confused as well this time last week but yeh, what he^ said :yep:

SwiftRyu
I am looking at taking 2 History and 1 Archaeology module in each semester, which will give me my full 120. Of course, you can experiment and see what you want to do

Not really relevant but your module choices are similar to mine, except I've chosen Philosophy rather than Archaeology- cool :smile:
Reply 3
popdrops
I was really confused as well this time last week but yeh, what he^ said :yep:

Not really relevant but your module choices are similar to mine, except I've chosen Philosophy rather than Archaeology- cool :smile:

I really enjoyed Philosophy and Ethics at A-Level, I probably would do it myself if I didn't see those Archaeology modules. I was a bit disappointed actually, I was hoping to do the module "Gender in East Asia" from the East Asian Department. It was on the list last year but disappeared this year. Ah well, the Archaeology modules look good anyway!
Reply 4
Thank you so much for helping me! I am 99% sure I understand it now, you are a life saver! Hope you enjoy the modules you've chosen :smile:
Reply 5
SwiftRyu
I really enjoyed Philosophy and Ethics at A-Level, I probably would do it myself if I didn't see those Archaeology modules. I was a bit disappointed actually, I was hoping to do the module "Gender in East Asia" from the East Asian Department. It was on the list last year but disappeared this year. Ah well, the Archaeology modules look good anyway!

I wanted to study the 'Gender in East Asia' module as well-- I actually made a whole list of modules I wanted to study...but little did I know that our choices had to be within the art and humanities department= disappointed :/
popdrops
I wanted to study the 'Gender in East Asia' module as well-- I actually made a whole list of modules I wanted to study...but little did I know that our choices had to be within the art and humanities department= disappointed :/

Where did you get this info from? As I believe it to be incorrect. I emailed the university as I was also confused as to which modules I could take and the reply included "The document which I sent, only includes unrestricted modules from the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, this therefore does not include all the modules which will be available to you", which suggests we can pick others outside the department.

Further, I was recommended this link:
http://www-online.shef.ac.uk:3001/pls/live/web_cal.cal3_dept_form?p_year=10

Hope this helps.
Reply 7
Silver Beatle
Where did you get this info from? As I believe it to be incorrect. I emailed the university as I was also confused as to which modules I could take and the reply included "The document which I sent, only includes unrestricted modules from the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, this therefore does not include all the modules which will be available to you", which suggests we can pick others outside the department.

Further, I was recommended this link:
http://www-online.shef.ac.uk:3001/pls/live/web_cal.cal3_dept_form?p_year=10

Hope this helps.

We can choose modules outside the department?? I just assumed we couldn't from the Arts and Humanities document that was sent to us...they should really make the unrestricted module choices clearer >:/
popdrops
We can choose modules outside the department?? I just assumed we couldn't from the Arts and Humanities document that was sent to us...they should really make the unrestricted module choices clearer >:/

Yeah I thought that as well, am hoping that we dont as I dont really like the look of too many of them modules available to us in Arts & Humanities. Hopefully it will become more clear next week.
Reply 9
Interesting info, thanks for providing. This does change things a bit then. My original plan was to take Gender in East Asia for the Spring semester and Chinese Economic Development and Modern Chinese History in the Autumn, making up 120 credits with my 4 History modules. But I've begun to like those Archaeology modules...

Suppose I'll have to wait and see, the East Asian modules might not be on offer when I'm there, so I'll only have the one choice.
Reply 10
Now I don't know whether I want to do the East Asian/Journalism or Philosophy modules...eurgh =( I guess we can only see what's available on the day.
Hey - i'm a 3rd year history student and from mine and my mates experiences' i know that you don't have to stay in the department, but arts students can't do science courses. You can definately do east asian modules if you're a history student, and the gender course isn't amazing. A friend took it last year and she was bored stiff.
Reply 12
wildeyedangel
Hey - i'm a 3rd year history student and from mine and my mates experiences' i know that you don't have to stay in the department, but arts students can't do science courses. You can definitely do east asian modules if you're a history student, and the gender course isn't amazing. A friend took it last year and she was bored stiff.

That's a shame. Was there anything specific they disliked? Any modules yourself or other history students would recommend for first year outside the history modules.
SwiftRyu
That's a shame. Was there anything specific they disliked? Any modules yourself or other history students would recommend for first year outside the history modules.

Lots of people choose Archeology modules a few Philosophy or Politics modules. Those are the main ones really.
Archeology is seen as a safe bet as the work is not dissimilar to the History stuff, but you get a multiple choice exam.

Latest