The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
+ polarity -
The transitional period is a bit :lolwut:, in the same way that when you're trying to grow an afro, before it gets good, it's ****.

I hear you brother :yep:
Reply 21
No. I'm not a prick.
No, I consciously unselfishly suppress my actual opinion of them to be more politically correct. I don't have any controversial opinions on anything.
Reply 23
Nope.
no, since them being so doesn't negatively affect me. I have better things to worry about.
Reply 25
a_t
Yes or No, please discuss giving reasons where appropriate

On top of this, I'm also curious as to whether you would actually be friends with someone who is transgender or has had a sex change

No not in the slightest, because I'm not a transphobic bigot and I don't understand why it's anyone else's business how people express their gender :s-smilie:.

I am friends with, and have been in a relationship with people who are TG. Don't get why it's a big deal really...
Cactus_Man
Yes, because as a bisexual guy who doesn't act camp I am profoundly irritated by the way transgendered people (and I consider gays who act like the opposite gender to be trans regardless of whether they'll admit it) have given all LGB people such a bad reputation. Here are people like me, trying to fight off these nasty stereotypes, and then these tossers come along with their idiotic cross-dressing parades and completely ruin it.

Furthermore, it just doesn't register properly. As humans we are not evolved to recognise a third gender, and it's perfectly natural to feel a bit off when in the presence of a trans. The subconscious tells you that something isn't right, even if you consciously try to be cool with it. It's sort of like how the dogs can tell the difference between humans and Terminators in the first film. (An extremely random example I know.)

You are a massive hypocrite
Reply 27
+ polarity -
The transitional period is a bit :lolwut:, in the same way that when you're trying to grow an afro, before it gets good, it's ****.

:lol: :biggrin: that's hilarious, I would rep you for this but I've already used it...

(although I hope you didn't mean it offensively, or it isn't hilarious :frown: )
Cactus_Man
Yes, because as a bisexual guy who doesn't act camp I am profoundly irritated by the way transgendered people (and I consider gays who act like the opposite gender to be trans regardless of whether they'll admit it) have given all LGB people such a bad reputation. Here are people like me, trying to fight off these nasty stereotypes, and then these tossers come along with their idiotic cross-dressing parades and completely ruin it.

Furthermore, it just doesn't register properly. As humans we are not evolved to recognise a third gender, and it's perfectly natural to feel a bit off when in the presence of a trans. The subconscious tells you that something isn't right, even if you consciously try to be cool with it. It's sort of like how the dogs can tell the difference between humans and Terminators in the first film. (An extremely random example I know.)

Don't think of every transgendered person as a drag king/queen. (Not that there's anything wrong with them either, I'm just saying there is a distinction, more so than the distinction between camp and non-camp gays and bis.)

What about all the transsexual people who successfully go 'stealth'? You'd never know what body type they were born in.

We try to fight off the nasty stereotypes, and beat back the same bigots as people of other sexualities. Often, we stand alongside those people, like in the Stonewall riots. But when they got enough acceptance, we were left in the cold.

As humans, we are not evolved to recognise bisexuality or homosexuality, and it's perfectly natural to feel a bit off. It is also perfectly natural to feel a bit off around people of other races; that is how humans naturally are. However, our common humanity means we can reach out to other groups of people and connect with them. Our culture can beat back the majority's biology to accept the differences. And then none of the above mentioned groups feel weird. We can shake off our biological chains of prejudice.

Don't leave us behind because transgendered people seem icky and weird to you. Otherwise, what separates you from the homophobic bigots.
I'm not going to lie- I do get a little bit freaked out. Thing is, I know it's completely irrational and I can't even begin to explain why I feel that way. Maybe it's the way I've been brought up.

...Mind you, a large portion of my family are full of homophobic, xenophobic prampushers with an IQ lower than water. One of my friend's transgender, I accept him for who he is and I don't deny his right to breathe like some transphobes do. :s-smilie: I suppose it's a case of "live and let live", really- I'm slightly frightened of transgendered people, but this is their life, and it certainly doesn't stop me from being friends with them. :smile:
Reply 30
No, I have experience with transgender (pre-op and post-op) people. It is highly interesting to watch them physically progress into something they want to be. What I find especially amazing is the the way it alters their mindsets, their confidence and ultimately them as people. The sheer transformations achieved combined with the breakthroughs within science add to this amazement tenfold.
Reply 31
Cactus_Man

A few of my gay friends are annoyed that transgenders are considered as part of their collective and regard them as a nuisance, as you do so you're definitely not alone in this regard
freak me out? yeah, a little.
would i be friends with one? yeah, probably, can't see why not. so long as it wasn't sufficiently obvious to be a constant distraction.

strange claim to moral high ground on here. what, you admit that something you are not used to does not fall within your comfort zone? you fascist pig!
a_t
A few of my gay friends are annoyed that transgenders are considered as part of their collective and regard them as a nuisance, as you do so you're definitely not alone in this regard

I bet they wouldn't have regarded us as a nuisance a 50 years ago when transgendered people and homosexual people fought side by side for our rights.

The only reason it's LGBT imo is because all of those groups face the same bigots, the same prejudice, and the same discrimination. Or at least, we did. Now the T part takes more than its fair share of the bigots.

(p.s. I know you're talking about your friends, I'm not having a go at you :P)
TimmonaPortella
freak me out? yeah, a little.
would i be friends with one? yeah, probably, can't see why not. so long as it wasn't sufficiently obvious to be a constant distraction.

strange claim to moral high ground on here. what, you admit that something you are not used to does not fall within your comfort zone? you fascist pig!

I don't mind it not being in your comfort zone. That's understandable. There should be more attempt at exposing children to other types of people (inc. LGBT) so it's not something you're not used to.

Out of what you said, what I find important is: "would i be friends with one? yeah, probably, can't see why not."
Imo, it's the answer to this question (not whether it freaks you out) which separates out the bigots.

Therefore, no, you're not a fascist pig. :smile:
Hell yea they do
Reply 36
:rofl: at the amount of times the word 'bigot' has been used in this thread.
I find it very odd, and wouldn't want to be around one.
Anything goes
Reply 39
Cactus_Man

I'm a bisexual guy too.

Personally, I think your views are actually having a negative effect. The LGBT community has enough of a hard time getting straight people to accept us. How can we be expected to be treated positively by straight people, when you're looking down on the LGBT community yourself?

Life is too short. People all act differently. Gender or sexuality doesn't make a difference.

Your description of how you feel towards trans people was horrible. And shockingly enough, it sounds exactly like the standard reason a homophobe might give for not liking gay people. 'Not registering' and 'something isn't right'. The dreadful metaphor was embarrassing too. You really should be ashamed of yourself. It's not stereotypes that hold the LGBT community back in society, it's people like you. You should be standing up for transexuals. You know what it's like to be different on a sexuality level in comparsion with the majority. Have some compassion. I'm embarrassed that you're a bisexual like me, and then come out with BS like that!

Latest

Trending

Trending